(Topic ID: 41469)

LED Madness...

By barakandl

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LED_Time_Machine.jpg
    th-1.jpeg
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

LEDs do not belong in the GI as it looks terrible in most games.

Great post. I smell a Troll!

#52 11 years ago

I just finished putting leds in my LW3 & really like the way it turned out. The leds do not affect the game play & don't give me a headache....

#53 11 years ago

Where is BR when we need him, defender of the LED.

I tried LEDs in an EM machine i had, looked like crap in the GI.

I went with frosted CT cool whites in my GI for DE SW and Cyclone; and they look great. Even non-LED guys like the way it looks. From what I can tell it depends on the game and layout. This being said, I have seen great games ruined by people putting bare LED super brights in the GI. You catch glare, and it becomes overwhelming... Go Frosted in the GI!

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

LEDs do not belong in the GI as it looks terrible in most games.

Games like Avatar and Tron look good with them. Games like SM, RBION, IJ, LOTR, etc. don't. It all depends on the title and how the lighting is placed on the playfield.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Yep that's it! Funny how you never forget stuff like that.

I can even still remember most of the cigarette commercials from the late 60's up to 1971 and the jingles for each of them before they were banned from TV. When you are a kid that kind of stuff gets permanently engrained in you memory banks

Like this one?

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Yuck! My eyes hurt thinking about it. I would do the opposite.

How? Most of the time the GI is what can't be seen because it is behind plastics or ramps. The mega bright inserts can be brutal if it is a white insert.

Add spotlights, helps see balls in the darkness and when other LEDs are on

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Where is BR when we need him, defender of the LED.
    I tried LEDs in an EM machine i had, looked like crap in the GI.
    I went with frosted CT cool whites in my GI for DE SW and Cyclone; and they look great. Even non-LED guys like the way it looks. From what I can tell it depends on the game and layout. This being said, I have seen great games ruined by people putting bare LED super brights in the GI. You catch glare, and it becomes overwhelming... Go Frosted in the GI!

Sorry for double post, but yeah totally!

Are people basing their anti-LED opinion after seeing someone who puts a flat top super bright in their GI or somewhere visible? If so, that's no bueno. No one has ever commented my games are blinding or a light is too "in their face". Perhaps negative opinions of LEDs are after seeing a bad LED job?

#58 11 years ago

retro leds in hard to reach GI is fine. Who whant tho tear ts apart to change a bulb in the sanctum... I like bright leds in inserts as they make them pop up more and make the overall lighting better in my dark gameroom. Everywhere else I put incadecents. I agree that super brights under the slings plastics and return lane looks stupid.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from kcpinchip:

I just finished putting leds in my LW3 & really like the way it turned out. The leds do not affect the game play & don't give me a headache....

Good move as this game is very dark in the middle of the pf.

#60 11 years ago

Where is BR?

#61 11 years ago

As others have said, it depends on the game. Put some in my GnR and HS in the GI, and really like it. Tried my Wh2O, and it looked terrible. The colors on the PF looked super washed out, and the flicker effect that happens during the MB was gone.

I will try them in my DW, and they will go into the ES (Saw the one at PPE with LEDs and liked it), but will not put them in the FH (again, due to the flicker effect), and may use them in the backglass of my bowler, depending on if there is any damage to the BG.

I did try them in my grandma's Midway shooting gallery and they looked terrible, same with her pitch n bat. (Even though I may put them into the BG, simply because of the paint starting to flake.)

#62 11 years ago

I think BR got put into 'time out' for a week. I am not sure what happened but something must have gone too far?

#63 11 years ago

I can't stand LEDs in GI either, until I played an ACDC Premium.... Holy cow that game looked amazing....

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-madness/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.