(Topic ID: 41469)

LED Madness...

By barakandl

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LED_Time_Machine.jpg
    th-1.jpeg
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

LEDs do not belong in the GI as it looks terrible in most games.

#2 11 years ago

I put LEDs only in the GI of my LOTr. Helped brighten up the game and didn't mess with the fading affects. Plus, the ring insert is so massive i didn't wanna go blind.

In many games I like to utilize the purple Retros. Not a true deep purple, more like an off-white purple so it gives the game a nice low and brings out the color in plastics the best

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

#4 11 years ago

Yuck! My eyes hurt thinking about it. I would do the opposite.

#5 11 years ago

try them frosty ones

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

#7 11 years ago

Uh oh, here comes BR!

th-1.jpegth-1.jpeg

Wait, that's not BR!

#8 11 years ago

I'm not a fan of it either. It totally killed the color in my xenon pop bumpers. But that's an older game. The blue LEDs in and around the backglass are amazing though. Ugggg xenon woes

#9 11 years ago

Cool man, then don't put them in your game. All my games have LEDs... cuz I like them. Nobody is holding a gun to either of our heads.

#10 11 years ago

Certain LEDs look fine. It's your game do what you want with it.

#11 11 years ago

The dude abides. And he is old school.

#13 11 years ago

so dont put them in your pins. have fun replacing burnt connectors.

#14 11 years ago

Wow yeah...

If i do not use GI LEDs my connectors burn? OH THE HUMANITY

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

so dont put them in your pins. have fun replacing burnt connectors.

In home use, you're not going to burn up your connectors with incandescents unless you leave your games on 16+ hours per day.

That said, The right LEDs look fine in GI, IMO.

#16 11 years ago

LEDs have there place. LEDs look great in cetain places but the GI is not one of them.

I post this as the more LED blinged outed gamed i play the more I realize i dislike the over use of LEDs in GI.

Stick to LEDs in the inserts of well thought out places. Until the technology increases on LEDs they have NO place in the GI of games unless the where designed intended them. I think it looks terrible.

#17 11 years ago

Try them cheap frosted ones or the color changers. Really wakes up an "old hat" machine.

#18 11 years ago

Does someone need a hug?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

They do look better than melted plastic or burnt wood.

#20 11 years ago

What? 44 and 47 bulbs now burn wood and melt plastics? That is the defense for their harsh light spectrum?

#21 11 years ago

They get warm- six months ago I was anti- but I've seen the damage they can do!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Thank you for this nugget of wisdom. (Says the man who just finished putting LEDs in his NBAFB.)

#23 11 years ago

Done tastefully, with retro type bulbs, they can look fine.

Done with SUPER BRIGHTS they generally look ridiculous.

rd.

#24 11 years ago

I think 35 years in my mata hari is proof enough.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Done tastefully, with retro type bulbs, they can look fine.
    Done with SUPER BRIGHTS they generally look ridiculous.
    rd.

this man speaks the truth.

#26 11 years ago

Opinion can only be fact to ones self. I respect everyone's opinion. I personally enjoy LEDs when done tastefully. Less strain on the machine, less strain on the electric bill. Just my opinion.

#27 11 years ago

I don't do LED in my GI either, but you have to use the right type of bulbs if you do. 2 or 3 LED cointaker dome bulbs or frosted work good I've read. They have better light spread..

LED's can look awesome in GI if done right...look at AC/DC, the game makes all other older pins look dim and boring compared to it..

#28 11 years ago
    #29 11 years ago

I'm thinking of trying some in my Eight Ball Deluxe pop bumpers (which always burn out from the vibration) and some other early SS machines too. What do you think I ought to try first under the amber pop caps? Colored, clear, frosted?

#30 11 years ago

o-din, I don't know where you found that video, but that is some funny shit right there. Thanks for the laugh.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

o-din, I don't know where you found that video, but that is some funny shit right there. Thanks for the laugh.

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp- It was a Saturday morning spinoff of Get Smart circa 1970. Instead of
    99 there was Mata Hari. And you wonder why I'm so demented?

#32 11 years ago

Love LEDs in my games. Wow sealclubber, is nbafb all back together?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp- It was a Saturday morning spinoff of Get Smart circa 1970. Instead of
    99 there was Mata Hari. And you wonder why I'm so demented?

I remember watching it when I was a kid and remember the theme song too.

Then there was the Banana Splits, Monkees, Beatles cartoons, Archies...

lol

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I remember watching it when I was a kid and remember the theme song too.

Well here you (and everybody else) go!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

Wow sealclubber, is nbafb all back together?

Been playing it for a week now. Just added a third lamp and cover to that empty jet. Looks good.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well here you (and everybody else) go!
    » YouTube video

Yep that's it! Funny how you never forget stuff like that.

I can even still remember most of the cigarette commercials from the late 60's up to 1971 and the jingles for each of them before they were banned from TV. When you are a kid that kind of stuff gets permanently engrained in you memory banks.

#37 11 years ago

I had 16 bulbs that are hell to replace on my SWT. I put LEDs in so I would not have to completely rip my playfield apart. I did give me a chance to shop it though. The frosted ones look great.

#38 11 years ago

I've used LEDS selectively in my games. I am saving the old incandescent bulbs I removed so I can sell them as antiques later using the word 'VINTAGE' in my advertising. I think I will ask $8 each.

#39 11 years ago

LEDs in all games, they look 100% better. Everyone that looked at the games before and after agree without exception , LEDs are visually more appealing.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

LEDs in all games, they look 100% better. Everyone that looked at the games before and after agree without exception , LEDs are visually more appealing.

Not if done wrong, the games can look absolutely horrible...wrong LED's, wrong spots, horrible colors...LED's can look terrible or awesome...goes both ways..

There are also issues of flickering, to fast on/off, strobing, spotting, etcetcetc...they aren't perfect..

#41 11 years ago

I Agree, Led's need to be done right and don't always work everywhere. Led type and color is key especially in GI, Non ghosting leds don't always work trial and error. I enjoy led's I have them in all my machines i have found the more i replace with Led's the less ghosting I get.

#42 11 years ago

I think my D.E. Time Machine looks pretty good with the cool whites in the GI....

I have a couple of reds in the very back to illuminate the orange underside of the Star Warp ramp...

LED_Time_Machine.jpgLED_Time_Machine.jpg

#43 11 years ago

I actually kinda like LEDs in GI as long as you stick to just warm or cool white, not green and purple all over the place.

#44 11 years ago

Movies won't work with sound. The talkies will never take off! Electricity? You can pry my candles and gas lamps from my cold dead hands! LEDs...

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

?
    » YouTube video

Miss China, lol

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyconover:

I actually kinda like LEDs in GI as long as you stick to just warm or cool white, not green and purple all over the place.

I'm with you there. I have all LEDs in my Black Spider-Man except for the GI lights. When I do shop it out I will probably go with warm white retros from Cointaker. I think cool white looks good also, depending on the playfields color or the games theme.

I'm all about the color coded villains on my Spider-Man (Green = Green Goblin, Yellow = Sandman, Blue = Venom. Red = Doc Ock). I have each villain's flashers LED color to match their color. I have there spot lights to match their color. I even have a custom arcade upkeep flasher kit with real sockets mounted in my LED backboard. Each flasher on it is color matching each villain and mounted behind their picture on the backglass.

That being said....I don't like those character "areas" to be zoned by colored GI lights. The great thing about having green flashers for the Goblin is because you really notice when you hit him. If his GI area is Green all the time...the flashers just blends in. The same goes for the Venom area and the rest.

I have seen very few uses of colored GI light that I have liked. Having green colored lights in the MM moat is an example of colored GI I have liked. I don't even like the look of the colored GI lights in my X-Men LE until they do something (1 or 2 colors shut off to change the color of the whole playfield).

I'm also that way for the most part when it come to lighting the backbox. If it is something distinct on the backbox artwork that has a place in the artwork to see through (Martian eyes in Attack from Mars, The Police lights on the Police Force translate) I think it can look nice. It also works well if it is a boxed off area behind the translite (the jackpot scores on Cyclone or the cellar awards in Wirlwind). That is because it encloses the are that you want lit. In most cases though...if you put some colored lights behind a translight to highlight something..the color just spreads into areas that you don't want it to and it looks...off.

But....do watcha like.

#47 11 years ago

I don't like them and won't use them.

I have played some games where the LED's give me migraines. Happens with the lighting on our firetrucks too after a long period of time.

Surprisingly, I wish B_R were here. Wonder what HE would think.......

Chris

#48 11 years ago

I have to say, my buddy has his Whirlwind blinged out with LEDS and when I hit multiball on it, I can't see the balls for all the bright lights!!! He agrees it can be tough to track the balls due to lights, but he loves the show! I have to agree with him there, it is spectacular, just wish you could have the show and keep the balls too!!!!

#49 11 years ago

LEDs are awesome.

#50 11 years ago

This is madness...

This is SPARTA!

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-madness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.