(Topic ID: 121724)

LED lights on "a little bit" - is this normal?

By EvanDickson

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by caker137
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I've added LED to my No Fear, and I notice that some of the controlled lights like Jackpot, Super Jackpot, and Hurry up are on just a little tiny bit at all times. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing? As in, maybe there are always trace voltages that don't light up incandescent noticeably, but light up the SMD just enough to see? Or does this indicate I have an issue somewhere?

Also, No Fear is a game that REALLY pops with LED. Nice to have really bright lights in contrast to the dark PF.

#2 9 years ago

That's ghosting

#3 9 years ago

Yup, that is ghosting. Did you put non-ghosting lights in the game? That resolves the issue for most games but some require the use of an LED OCD board to get rid of it completely.

#5 9 years ago

Oh so that's what ghosting is. I did not use non-ghosting bulbs. Ghosting isn't harmful to the electronics or the bulbs, is it?

#6 9 years ago

Yes, ghosting. You have to keep in your mind that an LED is a semiconductor, and not a glowing filament - it reacts very different than a regular bulb, especially in a lamp matrix circuit that pulses voltage, or AC circuits. Plus, LED products vastly differ. You are going to want to either replace those with non-ghosting version LEDs, or install some modification to change what signals are put out to them (I'm not certain, but I think there is a board called "LED OCD" out there)

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Oh so that's what ghosting is. I did not use non-ghosting bulbs. Ghosting isn't harmful to the electronics or the bulbs, is it?

No, should not cause any damage other than annoy the player.

#8 9 years ago

not that i know of just looks bad

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

#10 9 years ago

Just some advise at this point. Since you already spent the money on LED's and it would cost you a fair chunk of change to now replace them with non-ghost versions you may want to really think about the LED OCD board (http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=8). With this board it will remove the ghosting but will also allow for fading of the lights which is not something the non-ghosting LED bulbs will give you. Not super cheap but it gives you the same lighting effects that your game had before with the incandescent bulbs.

#11 9 years ago

I can't remember what board set the NF is based on but you could also use the WPC no ghosting patch

see: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-ghosting-led-rom-patch-works

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

I can't remember what board set the NF is based on but you could also use the WPC no ghosting patch
see: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-ghosting-led-rom-patch-works

Try this first for sure; makes a huge difference on STTNG.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-lights-on-a-little-bit-is-this-normal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.