Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171003_140048 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Curious if anyone knows if I'm able to use Comet standard LEDs in a Gottlieb Premiere under the play field without ghosting? I was getting ready to order bolts for my gladiators but didn't know if I had to go with non ghosting

#2 6 years ago

Yes, they ghost, but it hasn't really bothered me so far in the system 3 games I've LEDed.

I haven't yet tried non-ghosting bulbs, but I imagine they would prevent it.

#3 6 years ago

I have a Gladiators right now that i am installing LEDs into. Non ghosting are definitely needed. They eliminate all ghosting. I'm using Comet and PBlife brands.

#4 6 years ago

Cool. Are you doing any colors for the g.i. or keeping it all neutral?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I generally use sunlight bulbs for the playfield GI most part. Cool white for the backbox.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I am using all frosted cool white for the playfield. Putting a mix of frosted blue and purple along the light strip at the back of the playfield.
    Color matched the inserts.

#7 6 years ago

What's the deal with LEDs in the pop bumpers? Seems like they won't work in Wipeout and haven't bothered to try in Big Hurt since probably the same result.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What's the deal with LEDs in the pop bumpers? Seems like they won't work in Wipeout and haven't bothered to try in Big Hurt since probably the same result.

I haven't noticed any issues.

Although, if it's a 555 lamp socket, sometimes you have to adjust the wires on the bulb to make sure they touch the socket contacts. Or, sometimes the lamp socket is faulty and needs to be replaced.

#9 6 years ago

I put the cheapest Chinese bulbs I could buy in bad girls with no ghosting or flickering whatsoever.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What's the deal with LEDs in the pop bumpers? Seems like they won't work in Wipeout and haven't bothered to try in Big Hurt

Doesn't Wipe Out pulse 12v through the 6 v lamp and uses it as a flash lamp when the pop is hit?
    As far as those bayonet bases in pops, they suck. I seat the LED so it lights up and then apply a couple dabs of hot melt glue to stabilize it. Works like a charm. Chances are you'll never have to replace the lamp again.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregh:

I put the cheapest Chinese bulbs I could buy in bad girls with no ghosting or flickering whatsoever.

Where did u order those, exactly....

#12 6 years ago

Ali express. It was 40$ cdn for 100 bulbs.

#13 6 years ago

I've used several different leds (standard and non ghosting) from different places (mainly PBL) and don't remember having any issues in any of my system 80's,A's and B's. Mike

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

Doesn't Wipe Out pulse 12v through the 6 v lamp and uses it as a flash lamp when the pop is hit?
    As far as those bayonet bases in pops, they suck. I seat the LED so it lights up and then apply a couple dabs of hot melt glue to stabilize it. Works like a charm. Chances are you'll never have to replace the lamp again.

Wipe Out does something for sure because I've burned up LEDs in those sockets.

#15 6 years ago

Just got Gladiators finished. Cool White GI. Purple and blue accent across the rear light bar. And some creative colors in the inserts. Plus a purple strip in the drain. Looks very nice!

20171003_140048 (resized).jpg20171003_140048 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Is the hardware much different for Gottlieb Premiere than it is for earlier Gottliebs? I've got a Alien Star downstairs that I can test out for you.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Is the hardware much different for Gottlieb Premiere than it is for earlier Gottliebs?

The system 3 machines share strobe lines for both lamps and switch signals. I've found that cheap bulbs always seem to ghost in the system 3 games. Earlier Gottliebs were just fine with non ghosting lamps. My Hollywood Heat had no ghosting at all with bargain LEDs.

#18 6 years ago

Yea, the system 3 System was a pretty significant departure from the System 80(a/b) architecture. Although I always was pretty curious how Gottlieb managed to pulse those bulbs with a higher voltage. They did that in a bunch of games. Caribbean Cruise being the first, I believe.

Did the lamp matrix run at a higher voltage (then strobed down to 6 volts) like Williams did?

6 months later
    #19 6 years ago

Hi everyone. Running into a problem with the LEDs on my Mario Andretti (system 3). Everything had LED installed when I bought it, but several of the insert lights on the playfield appeared to be burned out (very noticeable on the "track" of cars in the center playfield) Upon closer inspection, the bulbs usually come back on if I push my finger sightly against the side of a bulb suggesting in just not getting a good connection. So I pulled a bulb, and compared to some of the other bulbs I have, and maybe it's just an illusion, the base appears slightly smaller. For the sake of troubleshooting, I used a few bulbs from an email bag o'bulbs and they seemed to work ok, but are ghosting. I guess my question is two fold: anyone else run into base size issues? (Maybe they are simply the wrong size???) Any suggested fix for using the existing bulbs without buying all new Ghostbusters? Thanks!

2 months later
    #20 5 years ago

Just put standard comets into my Gladiators and I will say that it ghosts pretty significantly, to the point where the non-active "ghosting" bulbs are almost as bright as the active bulbs. It looks great otherwise though. Might need to invest in some non-ghosting for the critical inserts.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

Just put standard comets into my Gladiators and I will say that it ghosts pretty significantly, to the point where the non-active "ghosting" bulbs are almost as bright as the active bulbs. It looks great otherwise though. Might need to invest in some non-ghosting for the critical inserts.

You might want to use some calipers and measure the hole size from below on the Ghosting inserts.
    Gottlieb was notorious for drilling 10.5-10.8mm.
    Regular bulbs fit, but non ghosting might not, making inserting them from below the playfield impossible.
    The solution is non ghosting Flex heads, and bend them pointing up into the insert.

You may or may not have this need.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-lights-in-a-gottlieb-premiere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.