10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

it's sunday morning, so philosophical discussion time...

while reading a post from someone who wants to led a kiss machine (not an em, but it triggered the thought process) so it looks like "original lighting" my mind wandered towards "what did original lighting really look like?"...

my reaction to led lighting in an em has always been "no way, they don't belong there, it's sacrilege to do that"... however, knowing already that i'm gonna use color changers for the fountain in the magic city, my "closed mind" is beginning to open up a bit...

taking into account my prior obsession, and knowing that environment effects color temperature a lot more than people might think...

take pf inserts as an example... having just cleaned the grunge out of the inserts on the MC, it's hard not to notice how much they have yellowed over time... even if i used 44's in them, there's no way (short of replacing the inserts), that the lighting will look "original", as color temp will be shifted by travelling through the insert that is no longer the same color as when it was "new"... it WILL look like "what we are used to", as we are "used to looking at light coming through yellowed inserts"... but that shouldn't be confused with "original"... "original" lighting was likely perceived as being brighter and "colder", due to the lack of shift caused by the yellowing...

to a lesser extent, this would also be true of gi lighting, as the plastics have yellowed, and the white paint under those plastics has either yellowed/gotten grunged... the same is true of bg lighting...

none of the above changes the "physical difference" between a led and an incadescent bulb (primarily the "instant on/off" of an led vs. the residual glow of an incandescent, and light scatter)...

however, i'm beginning to think that the color temp of a "warm" led (or even "colder" ones, depending on the amount of yellowing) may actually result in something that is closer to "original" than an incandescent would... and that our "belief" of "that's what the original looked like" is colored by "what it currently looks like after decades of yellowing"...

iow, the "get off my lawn" mentality of "no led bulbs in an em" may be misplaced...

discuss...

#2 10 years ago

This Topic has many sides to it. 'Blow the doors open, lets go'.

It would be a personal preference. For an EM, I like the look of the following, LEDs the backglass and inserts but leave the GI as incandescent. Putting LEDs in an early SS pin is like putting radial tires on a classic car. Improving the overall appearance. A mod that is easily reversible. Super bright LEDs can be annoying.

At home, mostly my pins are off. The heat savings of LEDs is an important feature of them. Look at the EM pins at PHoF, they are on all the time. Less heat, less chances of damage.

Really it comes down to cost of LEDs, how many hours a day are the pins on. Hey it is your Pin enjoy it the way you want.

#4 10 years ago

I have thought about this a lot for my ems too - only one I have been able to bring myself to have leds is my abra and that is just for two green leds up at the top of playfield - but yes it is very much personal preference

I did buy a Gottlieb '85 ss Bounty Hunter - and had no problem putting leds in the backglass
    I purchased a whole slew of colored leds to put under playfield for inserts - thinking I would bling out the playfield for attract mode and game play ... however leds under those colored inserts were actually less bright and 'duller' than the regular lamps!?! so I took them out

#5 10 years ago

@pin-it... thanks for the heads up on that, i'm going to order some and experiment...

@darcy... yup, there are many sides to this... like i said, my curiosity was piqued by the thread i read about "wanting to make a kiss look original", and i started thinking (not always a good thing) "what did original really look like?"... that thought ended up with me dumping this thread out here, hoping for a "fun" discussion...

it is personal preference, no doubt... however "preference" can be (read: "is") influenced by bias, both conscious and unconscious... being human, all of us are subject to bias, and none of us can eliminate it from our decision making... we see this in audio all the time, "preferences" often disappear when subjected to rigorous controlled testing... it is likely (probable?) that some (many?) who object to led illumination in an em have preferences that are influenced by "led's don't belong in an em"... also, since as humans we tend to prefer "what we used to seeing, even if it is not correct", that leads to "not liking" something "new/different/possibly more correct"... we see this in video all the time as well, when a person is presented with a "correctly calibrated image", they often do not like it, even though it is correct (primarily because most people have their tv's set up with way blown out colors and crushed whites/blacks)...

@manitou... possibly a case of "not all led's are equal"... they can vary greatly in luminosity and color intensity, with "less expensive ones" leading to less than desirable results...

to all... anyone got some old yellowed inserts (big blank ones would be best, broken ones would be ok) they want to send me? if so, i'll order some "new" ones and a variety of led's and try to set up a "proper" measurement... i already have a variety of incandescents on hand (old and new) to measure... it may take me a bit of time to do, since i'd really like to get the MC finished before winter, but if someone sends me inserts, i promise i'll follow up...

obsession is a horrible thing... but now i'm really curious...

edit: as noted in the first post, this isn't addressing "differences" in the technology (on/off vs. residual glow, etc.), however, the commentary about "preference bias" holds true with that as well...

note: "bias" should not be construed as having a negative connotation in this discussion... it is neither negative not positive, it just "is"...

#6 10 years ago

I think the leds I bought were pretty high quality ones? I think it was more a case of trying to shine them through colored inserts - I tried colored leds through colored inserts ... aka red through red etc.

I may have to go back and try bright white through the colored inserts?

#7 10 years ago

Comet retros are the best! Used them in converting my 1973 Williams Super Star. I'm very happy with the results! Here is a recent thread discussing the matter:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-full-led-coversion-with-comet-retros

Good luck!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from manitouguy:

I think the leds I bought were pretty high quality ones? I think it was more a case of trying to shine them through colored inserts - I tried colored leds through colored inserts ... aka red through red etc.
    I may have to go back and try bright white through the colored inserts?

sorry, i didn't mean to imply that you bought "bad" ones, that came across wrong...

there's several factors that come into play with perceived luminosity... for example, most led's are highly directional... if you are viewing it off axis, it won't be as bright... whereas with an incandescent bulb, luminosity is essentially equal regardless of viewing angle...

and so on...

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

Comet retros are the best! Used them in converting my 1973 Williams Super Star. I'm very happy with the results! Here is a recent thread discussing the matter:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-full-led-coversion-with-comet-retros
    Good luck!

cool thanks! some reading material while watching the late game...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-lighting-in-an-em-a-few-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.