Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rufessor
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

edfd1b620620a1e3dc7ad26b4685de3602e56e92 (resized).jpg
    627c9761ec591f1a05b8b172761a60c0b38be4e1 (resized).jpg
    80dd0cf7c21ec096472c9b441a70b710248fc394 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

So I've decided that I need my arcade to feel like a Tron movie. It's part of the midlife crisis I'm planning. Anyways, we've all seen these LED tape kits by now...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

These are 5050 RGB LED tape kits. They include a power supply and a remote. They're great... BUT they're usually sold in 5 meter lengths. I need about 100 feet.

I want to use this as accent lighting for my entire 500 sqft arcade, with ONE remote to control the entire run. I plan to hide it on top of pine moulding installed at the top of the wall right under the ceiling. Is it possible?

I found a couple mentions of using PC power supplies for power, but not much else.

Any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

Subscribed....thought about doing the exact same thing in my room, just a lot smaller as my room is 9'x10'....

#3 6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHOTGPI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4

You need a signal repeater, something like the link I posted. I needed one repeater for a run of around 45 feet.

#4 6 years ago

Pretty easy and doable. You would need a signal repeater like mikehay1 stated. You lose alot of brightness and power to a new strip if you hook up 3 together. I used multiple outlets just to get it all set up but will be using repeaters. Also if you used mutliple outlets you can still use just 1 remote FYI.

80dd0cf7c21ec096472c9b441a70b710248fc394 (resized).jpg80dd0cf7c21ec096472c9b441a70b710248fc394 (resized).jpg
    627c9761ec591f1a05b8b172761a60c0b38be4e1 (resized).jpg627c9761ec591f1a05b8b172761a60c0b38be4e1 (resized).jpg
    edfd1b620620a1e3dc7ad26b4685de3602e56e92 (resized).jpgedfd1b620620a1e3dc7ad26b4685de3602e56e92 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Following

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikehay1:

amazon.com link »
    You need a signal repeater, something like the link I posted. I needed one repeater for a run of around 45 feet.

Exactly, you just need a power supply for each repeater you use.

#7 6 years ago

If you use 24v strip you can double the length without the power drop. I light a 10m strip with a single 5a 24v power supply and it looks fantastic. Mine are 5050’s I would suspect if you used a 3528 strip you might be able to stretch it 15 meters with a single power supply.... for brightness I recommend the 5050’s tho. I’ve also connected them to a dimmer otherwise they are too bright to work in accordance w/ my black lights

#8 6 years ago

Thats so corny and tasteless....all you need now is a pole and a thai, popping table tennis balls out off her "youknowwhat"

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikehay1:

amazon.com link »

Quoted from Lermods:

Exactly, you just need a power supply for each repeater you use.

I really don't want transformers plugged in all over the room though. I have a 600W computer power supply sitting around, I was thinking I could create several long runs of 16-18AWG from that dropped to power each repeater. So they would be powered in parallel, but RGB connected in series via repeaters.

Still need to do more homework.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

Thats so corny and tasteless....all you need now is a pole and a thai, popping table tennis balls out off her "youknowwhat"

Actually, I like that idea. And a Sapranos Pinball in the corner.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

So I've decided that I need my arcade to feel like a Tron movie. It's part of the midlife crisis I'm planning. Anyways, we've all seen these LED tape kits by now...

These are 5050 RGB LED tape kits. They include a power supply and a remote. They're great... BUT they're usually sold in 5 meter lengths. I need about 100 feet.
    I want to use this as accent lighting for my entire 500 sqft arcade, with ONE remote to control the entire run. I plan to hide it on top of pine moulding installed at the top of the wall right under the ceiling. Is it possible?
    I found a couple mentions of using PC power supplies for power, but not much else.
    Any ideas?

Forget those strips there old tech, spend the money and do your room with new tech, Addressable led strips. Also do you plan on making the room black light and having bl carpet?

#13 6 years ago

It really depends on what you want in terms of light level and color program/blending. I am installing a DMX controller and a bunch of decoders to run LED strips around an entire room, sorta a cove ceiling. I use high power LED strips that have the RGB LED on the same die as the white and allow independent brightness control for the white and RGB channels, so you get very good color blending and true white (basically, this set up was described technically in an earlier response, I a, trying to give some context). However, this requires 2x 200W meanwell 24V power supplies, a shit ton of wiring and I have 5 decoders all stacked on a board behind the wall I am feeding through. This will let me light up the entire room, to reading levels or higher, or dim to movie theater intensity.

If this is what you want, you don't have much choice, gotta go high power to make real light. If you want to accent light you can run much lower power strips, one tip to keep brightness up/even is to feed power to both ends of a long run. The strips you get for 30 bucks are great standalone for accent lighting, but they don't always play well if you need longer runs due to voltage drop and probably many/most will be painful to customize by feeding power to both ends etc. There are any number of excellent resources on line that will let you calculate all this. I am confident you can put something together that will look super cool! Have fun fishing wire through the ceiling joists to hide all this and make it look good.... there is no getting around that part.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-lighting-for-an-entire-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.