(Topic ID: 317240)

LED Light Strips

By Kingjowjow

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Ramp_LED_Lights_Both_Sides (resized).png
    20220619_235824.jpg
    20220619_235744.jpg
    20220619_235330.jpg
    20220619_235319.jpg
    20220619_235306.jpg
    20220619_235259.jpg
    Ramp_LED_Lights_Both_Sides (resized).png
    Apron_LED_Strip_Light (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Greetings Everyone!

I tried posting in the Dr. Dude Members thread, but could not get much feedback. I was wondering if anyone had a good tutorial on installing LED strips to the bottom of the playfield and top ramps, I've attached pictures of where and what I would like it to look like. This is the first machine I've got a chance to work on and don't really know where to start or where to connect the LED strips too. I attached a link to the LED strips I would like to get from comet pinball unless there is a better place to get them? Was also curious about which ones look better "clear" or "frosted" Lighting strips. I wanted it to look like the blue light in the attached photo, seems frosted but not too sure. Thanks for any feedback.

Lighting Strips link --> https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips

Apron_LED_Strip_Light (resized).jpgApron_LED_Strip_Light (resized).jpgRamp_LED_Lights_Both_Sides (resized).pngRamp_LED_Lights_Both_Sides (resized).png
    #2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Greetings Everyone!
    I tried posting in the Dr. Dude Members thread, but could not get much feedback. I was wondering if anyone had a good tutorial on installing LED strips to the bottom of the playfield and top ramps, I've attached pictures of where and what I would like it to look like. This is the first machine I've got a chance to work on and don't really know where to start or where to connect the LED strips too. I attached a link to the LED strips I would like to get from comet pinball unless there is a better place to get them? Was also curious about which ones look better "clear" or "frosted" Lighting strips. I wanted it to look like the blue light in the attached photo, seems frosted but not too sure. Thanks for any feedback.
    Lighting Strips link --> https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips[quoted image][quoted image]

Here you go. This should help

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/matrix

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply! I found a tutorial on the light strip for the apron, it looks as if I need to soder it in? not sure where to connect it the video is kinda hard to view. The game Machine im working on is a 1990's Dr. Dude. Not sure where to connect the strip for the top ramp either or if I will have to soder those connections as well?

#4 1 year ago

No soldering is needed... unless you want to.

You can use alligator clips or change out one of the bulbs so that it connects to the strip. The video in the link I sent should show you.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

No soldering is needed... unless you want to.
    You can use alligator clips or change out one of the bulbs so that it connects to the strip. The video in the link I sent should show you.

Thank you I will give it a try!

#6 1 year ago

I’m sure the video addresses how to mount it, but it should be real simple as the comet strips have adhesive backs.

Just a couple of thoughts.
    1. I suggest getting the matrix dimmer, so that you can adjust the brightness. Full brightness might work for you, but I turn all mine down to help blend in and not flood the flippers with too much light.
    2. It’s your machine, but I’d also suggest getting white for the trough (warm, natural, sunlight) whatever matches your bulbs.
    3. As mentioned above, the matrix connectors should have alligator clips, that works. I forget, but you might need to buy them separately. But, it’s a good idea to solder the connectors once you get it setup so they don’t wiggle/vibrate loose and accidentally short something.

Cheers

#7 1 year ago

I bought these before and they work great and super easy to install with alligator clips. I love me some ICE BLUE light in the trough!

https://lermods.com/shop/ols/products/pinball-led-strip-trough-light-kit-universal

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

I’m sure the video addresses how to mount it, but it should be real simple as the comet strips have adhesive backs.
    1. I suggest getting the matrix dimmer, so that you can adjust the brightness. Full brightness might work for you, but I turn all mine down to help blend in and not flood the flippers with too much light.
    2. It’s your machine, but I’d also suggest getting white for the trough (warm, natural, sunlight) whatever matches your bulbs.
    3. As mentioned above, the matrix connectors should have alligator clips, that works. I forget, but you might need to buy them separately. But, it’s a good idea to solder the connectors once you get it setup so they don’t wiggle/vibrate loose and accidentally short something.
    Cheers

Appreciate the info. Sodering sounds like a good idea for the longrun so the alligator clips dont wiggle out of place over time. I really like the Ice blue, goes well with the playfield on my machine. Don't know a whole lot on the matrix dimmer or on how to install it or where to get it, does it install easily with the comet strips? Do you play at 8-Bit Renton often? That's my home pin spot!

Quoted from konjurer:

I bought these before and they work great and super easy to install with alligator clips. I love me some ICE BLUE light in the trough!
    https://lermods.com/shop/ols/products/pinball-led-strip-trough-light-kit-universal

Yes Ice Blue is awesome looking on a lot of playfields, thanks for the link. I'm kinda torn on wheather to go with the comet strips or the Led Strip Mod from the link you posted. Thanks again for the info!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Don't know a whole lot on the matrix dimmer or on how to install it or where to get it, does it install easily with the comet strips?

Here's Comet's trough lighting kit. It comes with more than is needed for a single strip but covers all the bases. You can see the dimmer at ~8-9s into the video on that page; it just clips in-line with the wire and has a screw to adjust the resistance. Very easy, and I second using the clips until you're sure of the permanent placement of the wires/strip.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/outhole-lighting-kit

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Do you play at 8-Bit Renton often? That's my home pin spot!

I do (did). I have a son that’s too young for a COVID vaccination, so I’ve been avoiding public places. Hopefully, he can get one soon so we can start going back.

But, I used to go a couple times a week to have a beer and play some games. So, looking forward to getting back in there!

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wylte:

Here's Comet's trough lighting kit. It comes with more than is needed for a single strip but covers all the bases. You can see the dimmer at ~8-9s into the video on that page; it just clips in-line with the wire and has a screw to adjust the resistance. Very easy, and I second using the clips until you're sure of the permanent placement of the wires/strip.

Thanks for the trough lighting kit link, do you think this is a better option to go with rather than using a LED strip for the trough? Also, is the Ice Blue color going to be close to the color I posted in the pictures above? Thanks again for the link!

Does anyone know how to do the light the top Ramp like in the picutre in the OP? Is there some type of kit for that or is a LED light strip from comet the best way to go? Im just not sure where to connect that one.. Thanks again for any info on this !

#12 1 year ago

Here's my setup. Alligator clips on the lugs of the right "Wizard" lane GI light, then the dimmer (got mine all the way down), then up through a hole at the trough to the LED strip (clear warm white). Because of the blinders it couldn't go high enough to be above the balls, so it's low for now.
    I've also installed spotlights and I imagine putting a light on top of the ramp is basically the same; just attach to the circuit you want it on and route the wire so it's not very visible and not in the path of balls. Someday I'll solder and run a continuous wire, but the matrix connecters are quick and easy for trying things out.
    You'll have to look around their website to see what their ice blue looks like, but they've probably got pictures!

20220619_235259.jpg20220619_235259.jpg20220619_235306.jpg20220619_235306.jpg20220619_235319.jpg20220619_235319.jpg20220619_235330.jpg20220619_235330.jpg20220619_235744.jpg20220619_235744.jpg20220619_235824.jpg20220619_235824.jpg
    #13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wylte:

Here's my setup. Alligator clips on the lugs of the right "Wizard" lane GI light, then the dimmer (got mine all the way down), then up through a hole at the trough to the LED strip (clear warm white). Because of the blinders it couldn't go high enough to be above the balls, so it's low for now.
    I've also installed spotlights and I imagine putting a light on top of the ramp is basically the same; just attach to the circuit you want it on and route the wire so it's not very visible and not in the path of balls. Someday I'll solder and run a continuous wire, but the matrix connecters are quick and easy for trying things out.
    You'll have to look around their website to see what their ice blue looks like, but they've probably got pictures!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pictures, I'm gonna go with the Comet's trough lighting kit, seems easy to install, ill let you know how it goes!

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Cheers

Quoted from Wylte:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Wylte:

Do you guys know if the Trough Lighting Kit would work as well for this area of the upper ramp seen in the picture below?

Ramp_LED_Lights_Both_Sides (resized).pngRamp_LED_Lights_Both_Sides (resized).png
    #15 1 year ago

Matrix Strips, Pads, and Rings in 6.3V can be placed anywhere you want, plug and play, completely reversible.
    You can light anything anywhere on the playfield, on a topper, or anywhere inside or outside of the game.
    There are splitters, wire, and the easy ability to control brightness.

Alligator clips supplied can be used, but I do everything off a bulb tap.

Tie to GI, Insert, or always on light, like coin door.

It takes just minutes to add to a game.

( I kinda know, cause I created them)

Art

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Matrix Strips, Pads, and Rings in 6.3V can be placed anywhere you want, plug and play, completely reversible.
    You can light anything anywhere on the playfield, on a topper, or anywhere inside or outside of the game.
    There are splitters, wire, and the easy ability to control brightness.
    Alligator clips supplied can be used, but I do everything off a bulb tap.
    Tie to GI, Insert, or always on light, like coin door.
    It takes just minutes to add to a game.
    ( I kinda know, cause I created them)
    Art[quoted image]

Thanks for the reply, do you have a link for a strip I can use with alligator clips? I'm not sure what a bulb tap is? The playfield i have is older, seems like alligator clips attached to a always on light would work best. I'm trying to light a top ramp with a strip on a older 1990s balls game, I have the ramp picture posted above I want to light.

#17 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply, do you have a link for a strip I can use with alligator clips? I'm not sure what a bulb tap is? The playfield i have is older, seems like alligator clips attached to a always on light would work best. I'm trying to light a top ramp with a strip on a older 1990s balls game, I have the ramp picture posted above I want to light.

#18 1 year ago

Go to Cometpinball LEDs, use the search box, type in "Matrix" for all products.
    Strips come in different lengths and colors and come with alligator clips.

Yes it works on older games, but depending on game, and components aging, its possible your game
    might have some flickering.

Spend $25, read the info and its as simple as changing a lightbulb.

Touching 2 clips accidently and shorting or them moving during gameplay is always possible.
    You are attaching the clips to the lightbulb socket.

Reach out to Comet for specific questions too.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Go to Cometpinball LEDs, use the search box, type in "Matrix" for all products.
    Strips come in different lengths and colors and come with alligator clips.
    Yes it works on older games, but depending on game, and components aging, its possible your game
    might have some flickering.
    Spend $25, read the info and its as simple as changing a lightbulb.
    Touching 2 clips accidently and shorting or them moving during gameplay is always possible.
    You are attaching the clips to the lightbulb socket.
    Reach out to Comet for specific questions too.

Thank you for the info I'll give it a try!

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wylte:

Is that the trough Lighting kit from comet?
    https://www.cometpinball.com/products/outhole-lighting-kit?variant=29396416528486

Or did you go with a 8 inch strip from comet?
    https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips?_pos=24&_sid=06a79f909&_ss=r&variant=39500809666662

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-light-strips-1?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.