Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am looking to add a small light strip under the apron to light the flipper area of my Judge Dredd, but I am not sure where to draw power from. It is a 12v LED strip. Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

You can get 12V from the backbox on a WPC machine, but it might be easier to go this route:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6.3vsmdstrips.htm

#3 10 years ago

I think maybe a Power Adaptor, Power Supply For LED Strip is needed. You can find it on amazon, like this one http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER%C2%AE-Adaptor-Transformers-Supply/dp/B00DKSI0S8/ref=sr_1_3
or you can find it on http://www.lightingever.com/ too.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Leona912:

I think maybe a Power Adaptor, Power Supply For LED Strip is needed. You can find it on amazon, like this one amazon.com link »
or you can find it on http://www.lightingever.com/ too.

Something smells fishy here ??

#5 10 years ago

Could you hook it to a pig controller?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I am looking to add a small light strip under the apron to light the flipper area of my Judge Dredd, but I am not sure where to draw power from. It is a 12v LED strip. Any ideas?

J116, J117, J118. You can also solder to the 12v and ground pins I can opto power board if that is easier.

#7 10 years ago

You're making it way too difficult. There should be a 12VDC and GND source on the "coin door interconnect board" in the lower left of the cabinet. Only issue could be that on some titles, the pins on that part of the board are not populated.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

J116, J117, J118. You can also solder to the 12v and ground pins I can opto power board if that is easier.

I saw those on the opto board but I didn't want to jack anything up tapping into it. That is the idea place as i don't want to run wires all the way from the front of the playfield to the backbox.

Quoted from snyper2099:

You're making it way too difficult. There should be a 12VDC and GND source on the "coin door interconnect board" in the lower left of the cabinet. Only issue could be that on some titles, the pins on that part of the board are not populated.

Right, but anytime I lift the playfield it is going to cause problems.

#9 10 years ago

Cause problems? Huh? Just run some extra length of wire. There is a reason there is so much wire in a pinblall machine. Why are you trying so hard to not use 5 extra feet of wire? It's cheap.

I understand what you're saying but IF there's no 12V on the playfield... ur skeeerued! You either run the wires to the head or where I suggested or you don't, your choice. The main reason to use the place I suggested is so you can keep all the wiring in the lower cabinet.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Cause problems? Huh? Just run some extra length of wire. There is a reason there is so much wire in a pinblall machine. Why are you trying so hard to not use 5 extra feet of wire? It's cheap.
I understand what you're saying but there's no 12V on the playfield so... ur skeeerued! You either run the wires to the head or where I suggested or you don't, your choice. The main reason to use the place I suggested is so you can keep all the wiring in the lower cabinet.

I guess to the backbox it is for me then because I dont want a spiderweb of wires. Even with a bunch of slack going to the coindoor, I cant see that looking tidy at all.

#11 10 years ago

Right I am just looking for a tidy convenient solution and didn't know if anybody had any experience with it. Like Markmon said, there is a 12v source on JD on the opto boards, so we will try that first. Dangling wires running all over the place do cause problems as I have had one get pinched between the playfield and cab once and shorted out a matrix, so I look to avoid that kind of accident.

I have the info I need, thanks.

#12 10 years ago

Could work if the voltage is there. I suppose it could affect the proper operation of the optos but you'll probably be ok if you grab the voltage from the harness/connector at the trough PCB.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Could work if the voltage is there. I suppose it could affect the proper operation of the optos but you'll probably be ok if you grab the voltage from the harness/connector at the trough PCB.

It doesn't stress the opto board at all. These are direct wires from j116, j117, or j118 anyway. Tapping here is no different than tapping at the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-light-strip-power-source and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.