You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00619.jpg
CAM00617.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey all

During the black Fri sale this year, I bought my first LED kit from pinballbulbs.com, I just installed it last night..

I have a few questions.. now this thing is BRIGHT.. I am actually thinking it might be too bright.. my question is this, for those that have done it.. does it take time to get used to it? I put it in a Demo man, the inserts are beaming very bright, for me it is almost a distraction from the actual game.. but I am wondering if it just takes a little while to get used to it? I have done some LED's in inserts in the past, this is my first time with the kit..in fact it was so bright, I have not even installed the LED strips that came with the kit..

I was debating removing them, but wanted to see if I just need to get used to it, or if others feel it is too much brightness, especially in the inserts.. when the ball save lights are flashing, it is almost blinding..

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve
Balboarules
CARGPB#37

#2 10 years ago

It took me a couple weeks to get used to it when I first put them in....now....I want all my playfields lit up so I can play in the dark without any dark spots I might lose track of the ball

#3 10 years ago

I think if you do not like it from the start you won't get used to it. I like the bright lights so for me it is good. I just installed their kit in my TZ and love it. I have not done the strip lights yet but will in the next few days.

#4 10 years ago

It took about a week to get used to the brightness of STLE. At first I thought I was going to have a seizure but now it is more tolerable while still being pretty bright.

#5 10 years ago

That is what I am wondering.. I have LED's in Dredd and SWT.. but those were not the full blown kit, I put frosted whites in those.. I love the colors they bring out, no question about it.. and the funny part, I played a test game (3am or so) and got over 4 Bil..

I will probably leave it for a week or so, if I cannot get used to it, I will swap some of them out with the frosted whites I have in the other games.. the reds are just so bright now..

#6 10 years ago

Depends if your a pessimist or an optimist... I see incandescents as too dark.

#7 10 years ago

I have 4 led bulbs in most of my games. Kits are lame you are better off just buying leds as you need them to suit your taste.

#8 10 years ago

I installed the kit in my POTC and love it my wife says it's too bright but she has gotten used to it now. I installed the strips and if I did that again I would follow their suggestion of NOT installing the back one on the plastic glass channel as it does cause reflection off my plastic ramps. It doesn't bother me enough to change it but I can see how it would bother some people. Best advise I can give you is play the hell out of your machine till you get used to it and if you never get used to it well atleast you played alot of pinball

#9 10 years ago

LEDs are a very personal thing. For the most part, I like mine to be dimmer than most people do. I find overly bright inserts to be somewhat annoying. This is why I do custom LED conversions on all my games. Even when I buy a game that already has LEDs, I generally end up swapping out a good percentage of them. Another factor that affects the perceived brightness of inserts is the GI. If your GI is too dim, the inserts can appear overly bright (i.e. WOZ). This is why I am a big advocate of using spotlights to supplement your GI lighting. It's not necessary on all games, but spotlights can make a big difference when they are warranted.

#10 10 years ago

Personally, I find the best way to balance bright inserts is with smokin' stupid ridiculous bright warm white GI.

#11 10 years ago

Few suggestions on this.

1. If you made all the bulbs super brights by popping caps then it may be incredibly bright for ya. In the instructions we mention this and send all frosted for that purpose, but depending on game, how many white inserts there are it can be bright.

2. Putting all the spotlights and LED strips in actually help the insert brightness distraction. It will adjust the contrast ratio basically. Without the lighting extras it can be like watching an old CRT TV on super bright with all the room lights out, it hurts your eyes. So, somewhat of the same idea.

If you did do all supers for the inserts shoot me a PM and we can work on some solutions since that can be really bright for some!

Quoted from balboarules:

That is what I am wondering.. I have LED's in Dredd and SWT.. but those were not the full blown kit, I put frosted whites in those.. I love the colors they bring out, no question about it.. and the funny part, I played a test game (3am or so) and got over 4 Bil..
I will probably leave it for a week or so, if I cannot get used to it, I will swap some of them out with the frosted whites I have in the other games.. the reds are just so bright now..

Also, whites are the brightest bulb. So, of course switch out and play around with what works for you, but they will be brighter on the eyes than reds. If there happens to be a clear somewhere on the GI that you can then it will be distractingly bright. I'd sub those for a frosted and feel free to let me know too if that happened with the kit and we can get it updated. Sometimes people are much taller or shorter than us so the bulb can be seen easier and subbing it with a frosted is key.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Hey all
During the black Fri sale this year, I bought my first LED kit from pinballbulbs.com, I just installed it last night..
I have a few questions.. now this thing is BRIGHT.. I am actually thinking it might be too bright.. my question is this, for those that have done it.. does it take time to get used to it? I put it in a Demo man, the inserts are beaming very bright, for me it is almost a distraction from the actual game.. but I am wondering if it just takes a little while to get used to it? I have done some LED's in inserts in the past, this is my first time with the kit..in fact it was so bright, I have not even installed the LED strips that came with the kit..
I was debating removing them, but wanted to see if I just need to get used to it, or if others feel it is too much brightness, especially in the inserts.. when the ball save lights are flashing, it is almost blinding..
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve
Balboarules
CARGPB#37

If you haven't installed the led strips and spotlights, then the inserts are going to seem way too bright. The spotlights and led strips add a lot of ambient light and help reduce the contrast from the inserts. Its extremely important to install the whole kit before judging it.

Quoted from Cobra:

I think if you do not like it from the start you won't get used to it. I like the bright lights so for me it is good. I just installed their kit in my TZ and love it. I have not done the strip lights yet but will in the next few days.

Very important in TZ. The lower light strip lights the flipper area so you can see the ball and play better.

#13 10 years ago

I only had put the Supers where called, but I have only installed 2 of the spots, so I still need to put in the 3rd, then the strips.. what your saying makes sense, once it hit 3am last night, I was pretty much toast..

Going to try the strips next and see what they do, it sounds like they are needed and will make a difference..

Like I had mentioned, it looks amazing, was not sure if it was just an adjustment thing that you had to get used to for a little bit, since they make such a huge difference.

Thanks for the advice!!

Steve

#14 10 years ago

Well, I installed the 3rd spot and the LED strips.. did make a difference, so now I am going to "play the hell out of it" as suggested and see..

Jim and Mark have been fantastic with suggestions, they know there stuff.. that is for sure!

#15 10 years ago

I finished my TZ tonight with their kit and the strip that goes under the apron, where the balls drain, you can see it in the DMD. I have to remove it. Can't play it with it there.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

I finished my TZ tonight with their kit and the strip that goes under the apron, where the balls drain, you can see it in the DMD. I have to remove it. Can't play it with it there.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done on certain games with the decals on dmd panels. I attached some pics i just took of my tz and then afm with no reflection. I am 5'10" so i can see if taller like 6foot plus it would go into the dmd on those games.

CAM00617.jpgCAM00617.jpg CAM00619.jpgCAM00619.jpg
#17 10 years ago

If you pull the front light strip, I would recommend moving one of the slingshot spotlight sets from the top bolt to the bottom bolt to illuminate the area between the flippers better.

#18 10 years ago

I did not get a reflection on my DMD, however I have one of the bentplastic guards on mine.. perhaps putting one of those on would help with the TZ? They are on sale with free shipping now..

#19 10 years ago

Yeah I was about to suggest that. The glare guards stop it. But I stood on my tippy toes and I could see the reflection even with the glare guard in so I see how taller people would still get the glare.

#20 10 years ago

Guard doesn't help. It is right the middle of the dmd for me.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Guard doesn't help. It is right the middle of the dmd for me.

How tall are you?

#22 10 years ago

6 foot 1.

#23 10 years ago

I'm 5'10" and don't play standing tall. I probably become 5'7" or so when playing to get a better angle on the ball and such. Not super crouched or anything. If I stand up as tall as I can it starts to appear on the DMD so I can see being 6'1" having it on the DMD possibly, depending on stance.

#24 10 years ago

James has a good point. Regardless, of Kit, strips, Bulbs, DMD glare protectors...... Ambient lighting, Ones height and angle, and personal sensitivity, dictate so much on how things look.
A universal answer that fits everyone is generally not possible. While you cant change your height, you can work with the pin and ambient lighting. Experimentation is the key, maybe some dimmer switches in the room, so that ambient light is adjusted more then just "on" or "off" Every bulb in a game can have its brightness, by product, adjusted from `
`1-10. Tweaking it for yourself is the Fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 81.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 72.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-kit-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.