(Topic ID: 213171)

Colored LEDs - Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

By Mad_Dog_Coin_Op

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

125_0 (resized).jpg
    7d087b616cfdc9d62dbe1d6f8a6d29f7 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1257 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I just looked at a pin today and was blown away by how bad the LEDs looked in it. What is people’s obsession with creating color zones in their games. Now personally, I love LEDs, They use way less juice and have a superior output without heat issues. Used correctly they can really make your pin pop. When misused they can ruin the look of the game. Backglasses, playfields and plastics are created with with different colors and shades for a reason. Turning these areas into all one color with an obnoxious cluster of LEDs just seems worng to me. Does anyone else out there think like me?

#3 6 years ago

newbies are the worst with led's! usually they grow out of it!

#4 6 years ago

Well the game I looked was bad and he wasn’t a newbie. I think he might be color blind. It is the only thing I can think of that would explain it. I don’t want to call him or his game out because he is a fellow Pinsider.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I don’t want to call him or his game out because he is a fellow Pinsider.

Then you should advise him to stay out of the no-rainbow-thread-puke club thread. Lots of folks in there will not be as nice as you in there. There's certain levels of LED madness when you start to go with anything but white - some are not so bad, and some are totally awful. You are right, some can be explained away with the newbie excuse, but some cannot. I can't stand colors behind photographed translites, especially with people in them. Similar to one I saw recently:

IMG_1257 (resized).jpgIMG_1257 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

In my Waterworld I put a blue LED in the back for some GI and a lighter blue LED in the middle of the play field. Just enough to set a mood, but not to much where the whole machine looks like the top of a police car. Sometimes less is more.

#7 6 years ago

For me LEDs in the inserts is a must. The color is so much better. I usually do not put colored ones in the backbox and very rarely do I put them in the GI.
    I think it looks terrible when people will do all four corners of their machine in different colors. It makes the pin look like the Simon memory game.

#8 6 years ago

I’ve been saying “just because we can, doesn’t mean we should” to people a lot lately about many things....driverless cars, computer screens on refrigerators, asking a whore about her one night stand 12 years ago with the current president....etc, etc.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Then you should advise him to stay out of the no-rainbow-thread-puke club thread. Lots of folks in there will not be as nice as you in there. There's certain levels of LED madness when you start to go with anything but white - some are not so bad, and some are totally awful. You are right, some can be explained away with the newbie excuse, but some cannot. I can't stand colors behind photographed translites, especially with people in them. Similar to one I saw recently:

My guess here is the flaking allows bright white to bleed through. The purple hides it a little?

#10 6 years ago

I thought the “color zones” LED trend died years ago. Ugh.

Color-match the inserts all you want. Hell, add a color to a clear one if you really want, but if you are using something other than warm or cool white in your GI, you better have a damn good reason.

Bonus tip — warm white highlights warm colors in the art — oranges, reds, yellows. Cool white GI helps bring out colors on the cool end of the color spectrum (blue, purple). Which one looks better can depend on the artwork of the game (I wouldn’t recommend mixing them though).

Additionally, warm white makes a game look more “vintage”, while cool white will make a game look more modern. Most people seem to prefer warm white GI, but it’s subjective and situational.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Color-match the inserts all you want. Hell, add a color to a clear one if you really want, but if you are using something other than warm or cool white in your GI, you better have a damn good reason.

I'm using Sunlight from comet

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'm using Sunlight from comet

Which is a warm white. Good work.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Which is a warm white. Good work.

Hey Pez!

2 different Kelvins by approx. 1000 degrees.

Art

#14 6 years ago

Warm white is a general term that includes brand-specific colors such as Comet’s excellent “sunlight” LEDs.

I would not recommend orange GI, though, which seems to be what some people are trending towards.

(Ps - actual sunlight is about 5600 Kelvin and would be considered cool white in LED terms)

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

My guess here is the flaking allows bright white to bleed through. The purple hides it a little?

I've never heard of a translite flaking. If you are talking about Hef's suit, there appears to be some kind of damage there....and I don't think color is helping.

#16 6 years ago

I don't consider Comet's "sunlight" a warm color. It just feels like a nice medium white to me. Works well for everything.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I've never heard of a translite flaking. If you are talking about Hef's suit, there appears to be some kind of damage there....and I don't think color is helping.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

#18 6 years ago

Hey OP just head up over to the Puke Club and have a beer!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I don't consider Comet's "sunlight" a warm color. It just feels like a nice medium white to me. Works well for everything.

The sunlight bulb is a nice middle ground. Natural/cool white is a bit too blue, warm white is a bit too yellow.

I don't have a warm white on hand, but here is sunlight and natural white:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#20 6 years ago

Yawn. Who cares?
    Tired of this subjective matter. Do you criticize the way people dress? The color the paint their walls?
    Change your own games and let people do what they want.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

how is criticizing someone's color choices preventing them from doing what they want?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Yawn. Who cares?
    Tired of this subjective matter. Do you criticize the way people dress? The color the paint their walls?

Sure people can do what they want. People will put silly rims on cars, paint they houses unconventional colors, and put big hollow gauges in their ears. The idea is simply to educate about what may be more pleasing to the eyes for the *majority* of hobbyistst.

There will be those choosing their own paths regardless, and a few might agree that they like it as well. Not everyone was happy with the blue/red GI theme I chose for Pinbot. I didn't invent it, I copied it from others that liked it. Maybe it was an unpopular choice but it was what I enjoyed at the time.

#23 6 years ago

This thread should be renamed “Colored LEDs ...” not all LEDs are bad. They minimise electrical requirements and keep things from getting too hot

#24 6 years ago

Even shuffle bowlers are not immune to the LED treatment. This was on craigslist recently:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There was a color changing LED rope above the bowling pins (you can see the remote for it in the photo), but tasteful LEDs behind the backglass.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Do you criticize the way people dress?

Not usually.

7d087b616cfdc9d62dbe1d6f8a6d29f7 (resized).jpg7d087b616cfdc9d62dbe1d6f8a6d29f7 (resized).jpg

#27 6 years ago

I keep waiting for the color bombing of games trend to pass, but it simply won't die. Color matching inserts with LEDs is actually pretty great. It makes the colored inserts look nice and rich. But putting anything but white in GI is really rough. It messes up the look of the artwork, it's more dim than white light, and it just looks plain terrible. If you play your games a lot and are doing more than just mindlessly flipping, I have a hard time understanding why you would color up your GI.

I have a tough time playing games with wonky colored GI. I've played enough pinball over the years that I'll just avoid machines that that goofiness.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not usually.

125_0 (resized).jpg125_0 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-just-because-you-can-doesn%e2%80%99t-mean-you-should?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.