• Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2_in_series.JPG
DSC02065.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I recently bought my dream pinball machine, a Star Trek Next Generation. So I have immediately started to repair and mod it. I am the in the process of replacing the Romulan Warbird and Klingon Bird of Prey with the Hallmark Ornaments. I followed JarbyJibbo's instructions at: http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=390910 . So I first installed my modded Bird of Prey. It looks great. I even shrink wrapped the the wires to the post mount. However after playing it for a while the flashing front yellow LED on the front tip of the ship stopped working. The thread talks about it overheating, and why it needs a resistor. Mine has a 1/4watt 6.8ohm like the one described in the post. I turned of the machine for 30 seconds and back on. Still the led did not light up. I went to bed worried I had burned out the LED. Started the machine in the morning and the flashing led was working again! In the pictures it looks like JarbyJibbo used 68ohm and not a 6.8ohm. So I tested the voltages before and after my resistor. I got 3.2v before and 2.5v after. From my understanding neither voltage with or without should overheat the LEDs on the Bird of Prey. What am I Missing? Here is a pic of my version of the mod. DSC02065.JPGDSC02065.JPG

#2 11 years ago

At 6.8 OHM that LED would be pretty bright I think.

There is a resistor calculator on led.linear1.org/1led.wiz - you need to know the resistor value required so that you don't cause the led to fail. The magic value to plug in is 20mA for the diode forward current!!!! Voltage forward for an insert lamp is about 6.3V and voltage drop for a single superbright led is about 2V but depends on the colour. If in doubt, use a higher value resistor than you think you need.

#3 11 years ago

I had an issue with my LEDs going out this week on my bird of prey and on GI light shining upwards at ship. Only three bulbs-not working on whole machine. Put Green ultra spot shining upward and two multi-green brights under wings. Worked for 2 weeks then went out? When I take LED out and touch to metal socket base it will glow very slightly while I am touching it. I am not sure if this is a ground issue.-Any thoughts?

#4 11 years ago

As I mentioned in that thread, he is the only one I have ever heard of complicating the Klingon ship. Myself and probably hundreds of other people wired it straight to the GI and never had a problem.

He also gets pretty complicated with the Romulan ship, but it's pretty cool that he converted it to actual LEDs. All that extra work is really unnecessary though. See my post in that thread for the "easy" way. I'm sure his way works well too, but at least know you have an easier option.

Good luck!

#5 11 years ago

I wired mine up direct and it worked fine, for about a day then it melted all to shit lol.

Luckily I bought two, was going to hang one on the tree. Did the second with instructions you used and it's been fine since.

Have you changed the entire machine over to LED? I think that may have an effect on V across the machine, and make a difference in whether or not you need the resistor.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

I wired mine up direct and it worked fine, for about a day then it melted all to shit lol.
Luckily I bought two, was going to hang one on the tree. Did the second with instructions you used and it's been fine since.
Have you changed the entire machine over to LED? I think that may have an effect on V across the machine, and make a difference in whether or not you need the resistor.

Weird. I wonder why so many have had no problems wiring direct for years, yet some have heat issues. I have no other LEDs in mine, though I have thought about experimenting a bit soon.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Weird. I wonder why so many have had no problems wiring direct for years, yet some have heat issues. I have no other LEDs in mine, though I have thought about experimenting a bit soon.

When I switched to LED the entire machine seemed more poppy, especially the poppers to cannons fired out like rockets. I think LED draw so much less that it raises the voltage on the line, maybe a bit too high for the ornament.

For the OP, I'd jumper the resistor temporarily with alligator clips or anything really and try it. Easy enough to try anyways. This is assuming you're using incandescent throughout as that's what you have on the ornament.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

At 6.8 OHM that LED would be pretty bright I think.
There is a resistor calculator on led.linear1.org/1led.wiz - you need to know the resistor value required so that you don't cause the led to fail. The magic value to plug in is 20mA for the diode forward current!!!! Voltage forward for an insert lamp is about 6.3V and voltage drop for a single superbright led is about 2V but depends on the colour. If in doubt, use a higher value resistor than you think you need.

Is voltage forward different from the voltage measured at the another GI lamp socket or before resistor? I got 3.5v at both places, not 6.3v. Also all other lights are still incandescent.

#9 11 years ago

My understanding is that the socket is rated at 6.3V.

The voltage drop @2V with 20mA diode forward current means you would be safe with a resistor value of 220 OHMs (for a single LED).

For a pair wired in series, there is a different calculation. The resistor needed is 120 OHMs (see below)

2_in_series.JPG2_in_series.JPG

#10 11 years ago

Ok I did some more testing. I removed the 6.8ohm resistor, and tried to alligator clip a 68ohm resistor. It did not even have enough power to light the LEDs in the Bird of Prey. I was still stuck on why I was reading 3.2vac and 2.5vac instead of 6.3v like I should. I then realized the two incandescent bulbs were wired in parallel. So they were sapping some of the juice. I also realized I had reversed the pins when I had reinserted them in the molex connector. I am wondering if that would have any effect since it is AC. I then removed the resistor all together, and was feeding the full 3.2 volts to the bird of prey. The LEDs shined brighter and looked alot better. It is now hooked up that way, I will have to see any of the LEDs to working after some time has gone by.

#12 11 years ago

I installed the Hallmark Bird of Prey, hmm... 2 years ago maybe. I have never had a problem with the front yellow LED ceasing to work. And I have it wired directly into the GI.

#13 11 years ago

I ran it for a few hours with no resistor and had no problems. Maybe it was due to the wires from the playfield being reversed, but I don't see how. Time to wire up the Romulan Warbird. Also got my colorDMD today, but will be out of town until Monday. Will post my impressions when it is installed. Will be selling my fully functional old DMD for $100, if anyone is interested.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from LucidLight:

Time to wire up the Romulan Warbird.

Now this one is a bit more complicated. I've done two. A word of advice, the documented method of pulling the circuit board out of the ship and mounting that board on extended wires below the Playfield isn't necessary. For the one that's on my machine, I took the circuit board out, and just wired the existing bulbs straight to the GI. It's been burning like that for ages with no issues. Works great. The second one- I have not tested yet, but I also took the circuit board out of that. On that one, I replaced the stock bulbs with LEDs. It's all wired up and ready to go, but I'm guessing I need a resistor on the line somewhere. Works great on batteries, but i Have not gone back to it to check what I would need for GI linkup. Either way, I just wanted to stop you in the event you were going to go that supper complicated route of remote mounting the BoP's internal circuit board. Don't even know why that's there to be honest. Anyone have a clue?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

As I mentioned in that thread, he is the only one I have ever heard of complicating the Klingon ship. Myself and probably hundreds of other people wired it straight to the GI and never had a problem.

Why: Christmas lights, when run in series as they always are, each bulb drops roughly 6VAC or so.

GI is about 6.5VAC at full brightness.

It's close enough that it shouldn't cause a problem directly wiring it. Because the more you know...

Quoted from muttonboy:

When I switched to LED the entire machine seemed more poppy, especially the poppers to cannons fired out like rockets. I think LED draw so much less that it raises the voltage on the line, maybe a bit too high for the ornament.

Not saying this to be a jackass, but barring your machine being seriously miswired, you're imagining that effect. One is running on GI (or +18), one is running on +25. They share absolutely nothing in common, all the way back to using different windings off of the transformer. (You can even completely nuke one and the other will function just fine.)

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Now this one is a bit more complicated. I've done two. A word of advice, the documented method of pulling the circuit board out of the ship and mounting that board on extended wires below the Playfield isn't necessary. For the one that's on my machine, I took the circuit board out, and just wired the existing bulbs straight to the GI. It's been burning like that for ages with no issues. Works great. The second one- I have not tested yet, but I also took the circuit board out of that. On that one, I replaced the stock bulbs with LEDs. It's all wired up and ready to go, but I'm guessing I need a resistor on the line somewhere. Works great on batteries, but i Have not gone back to it to check what I would need for GI linkup. Either way, I just wanted to stop you in the event you were going to go that supper complicated route of remote mounting the BoP's internal circuit board. Don't even know why that's there to be honest. Anyone have a clue?

Already cut in to the the warbird and did a bit too much damage to the pcb board and wires to the Lights. So went ahead and replaced the Lights with real LEDs. They have a forward voltage of 6v and are wired in parallel. So I have to figure out what to wire it to and what if any resistor I should use. Also have a Ferengi Marauder I am going to add once I figure out how to light it the way I want. If it turns out really good, I will start selling them. I want to mount it on the metal of the left cannon ball return chute. Right above the the Ferengi Targets.

#17 11 years ago

My freind helped me find my problem with my bird of prey and GI spot going out. Not issue with LEDs or socket but it appears to be a burnt connector on J21 on backboard molex connector. My freind told me to look for burnt area in molex and sure enough huge black and brown area. Thanks to jalpert for my fix.

7 months later
#18 10 years ago

While exploring recurrent occasional GI circuit #1 fuses going out, I took out the GI lamps (conventional bulbs) one at a time. When I was down to the last few GI lights (I left them on during this process because I wanted to see if any of the sockets would short and blow the fuse while I was manipulating them as I removed the bulbs), I started smelling burnt plastic.

Sure enough, the Bird Of Prey was undergoing meltdown with the front boom light going out (but the other lights still working). This Bird of Prey was connected directly without resistors.

So at some point, removing enough GI bulbs from the GI #1 circuit I THINK caused my Bird Of Prey to meltdown.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 15.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-issue-kingon-bird-of-prey-hallmark-sttng-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.