(Topic ID: 208181)

LED install on SYS11, now I have LEDs turning on when they should not.

By wrd1972_PinDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

It sounds like you have some issue with the lamp matrix wiring, a diode, etc. that is causing a problem. LED OCD can fix issues with timing and/or leaky transistors, but it cannot fix lamp matrix wiring problems.

Is there a pattern to what lights turn on and what lights cause them to? For example, anything in row 1 (11, 21, 31, etc) causes lamp 81 to be on as well.

You can use the "jumper and bulb" method to test your board outputs and narrow the problem to either a board or wiring issue. The Siegecraft lamp matrix tester is a great tool that makes this same test even easier. Neither of these test will pinpoint a problem in the wiring, though. The best way I know of doing that is to make a full summary of what lights you're trying to light and which acutually turn on, then look for patterns.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

But I am gonna ASSume that the WIRING is correct since the incandescent bulbs worked fine.

Incandescents require more current to light up than LEDs. If you have a small amount of current, the LED can light when the incandescent didn't. Also, while installing LEDs, you could have bumped something, causing a short that was not there when the incandescents were installed. When I say wiring, I'm using it to mean everything under the playfield vs the controlling circuits on the board.

Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I know how to check for damaged (shorted) diodes. But the diodes on the questionable LEDs are NOT shorted out. Could they still be damaged to some degree and causing the issue? Do diodes "leak"?

It doesn't have to be on the lamp in question. You can have a shorted diode on a lamp that appears to be working fine, but it is allowing power to backfeed a different column. The full pattern will likely point to the issue. Diodes can leak, but in this case, it's unusual to cause what you're seeing. It's much more common for one to be squashed over and shorting to a socket.

Quoted from Boat:

Also , you could try changing the fade settings on the LEDOCD app.

There are ways to use the LED OCD to help diagnose, but you really have to know what you're doing, and usually it just complicates the diagnosis.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
$ 27.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-install-on-sys11-now-i-have-leds-turning-on-when-they-should-not?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.