Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Cypress
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Photo Feb 01, 1 33 11 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 17, 10 16 13 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 01, 4 07 04 PM.jpg
    Premium_2_Led.jpeg
    Si_bumper_inside.jpg
    Si_bumper_r.jpg
    IMG_1468.JPG
    AFMPFS_009.jpg
    Spotlights_017.jpg
    AFMFIN2_011.jpg
    Spotlights_012.jpg
    Spotlights_010.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't know, still quite a bit of flicker in these. They are not designed for slow fading. Pinball Life $0.39 LEDs paired with LED OCD is really the ultimate solution.
    » YouTube video

I agree with this, but there are actually couple bulb options that eliminate (or drastically reduce) flicker, like Noflix and Ultimate Optix. Basically the type of bulb is a personal choice depending on how bright you want in your insert/GI area. Straying too far from factory spec results in some people (e.g., potential buyers) being turned off

Brightness Scale:

1.0x - Incandescent
    1.0x - 1-led
    1.0x - mini SMD
    2.0x - 2-led
    2.5x - super SMD

There are brighter options as well. Also note that while SMDs are decent as a point source it still has a hot spot, so a clear lens on top of the SMD is supposed to disperse the light an extra 30 degrees.

2 months later
    #138 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i sincerely hope you come across a game with LED OCD in it some day because you will instantly be like "...oh .... now i get it ... man i wish i hadn't shot my mouth off without knowing anything about that product..."

I agree with this point. People recognize issues with LEDs in the following order: brightness, ghosting, bulb fade, and flicker. Flicker is something that is more noticeable in playfield GI when the ball zips around, but fact is most people don't acknowledge 60hz flicker issues with a television either, so I'm not at all surprised that most people don't notice flickering with LEDs. Thus, without a point of reference most people don't mind a game with LEDs and no OCD board.

At the most recent Southern Pinball Festival we had 2 SM's with LEDS, one with LED OCD and one without. Most people only had vague knowledge of the OCD board, so when I explained that one game had the OCD and one didn't, everyone immediately acknowledged the visual improvements it made, and their opinions vastly improved of the product... even the EM guys.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-information-all-you-wanted-to-know?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.