Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by nman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160322_215151_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0980_(resized).JPG
    baywatch_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).png
    blue-purple_(resized).png
    purple_(resized).png
    20160313_091207.jpg
    3-22-2016_12-46-21_PM_(resized).png
    3-22-2016_12-46-06_PM_(resized).png
    IMAG0223_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago

I have found that "UV" bulbs are the "purplest". i've heard some people say they are not bright enough, but they work great in the places i've used them. (i haven't noticed any "black light" effects with them)

#9 8 years ago

it seems to me in order to get the purple people want, bulb builders simply need to put more blue and less red into whatever they use to color the bulb. when the light shines through it, most purple bulbs come out looking pink. there's a good reason for this, which i will attempt to illustrate.

check out this image:

purple_(resized).pngpurple_(resized).png

The top half of the image is standard purple -- 50% red, 50% blue, half brightness. (The RGB values are 128/0/128). The bottom half of the image is what happens to that color when brightness is doubled -- my attempt to show what a bulb of that color looks like when lit up. "Lit purple" basically looks pink, which is also what we are seeing in the real world when most purple LEDs light up, and why we hobbyists are so often disappointed with them.

Now look at this image:

blue-purple_(resized).pngblue-purple_(resized).png

This is a very bluish-purple color, with twice as much blue as red (RGB value is 64/0/128, aka "indigo"). The bottom half of the image is that color with the brightness doubled, my attempt to show what a bulb of that color would like when lit. In my opinion, that color is closer to the shade we are looking for in our purple bulbs.

keep in mind it is impossible to "project darkness" so it's not actually possible to make a "dark purple" light. The current problem is not in its brightness vs darkness, but that manufacturers are using a hue that leans too much towards red, and not enough towards blue. that's why they look pink when lit.

I believe a more blue-purple bulb would make purple inserts look exactly like what people want.

#12 8 years ago

Art, I have no choice but to accede to your vastly superior first hand experience on the subject! keep up the great work.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hope you didnt take it wrong Pez....I went down that path and made me crazy, because you are right....except, its pinball!
    All Good!
    Working on a new color I hope to test this week.....

can't wait! was just about to pick up a bunch of your Matrix stuff. looks like a lot of fun to play with ...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-help-purple?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.