Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinRob
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5.JPG
    gizmo.jpg
    540x405.png
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

GI issues on Sterns is typically much more subtle. On my Avatar for instance I considered installing the GIzmo, but then I realized the GI never flashes on this game--it only completely turns off twice and never strobes so it looks natural as-is. Need for this board is going to vary from game to game. Personally, it should be slapped in any Sega game that has LEDs for GI. I put it in my Goldeneye 007 and it made the constant strobing tolerable. Sega and Data East titles always had intentionally bad strobing that is only further exaggerated with LEDs so the board is perfect for those. Other modern Sterns will have similar issues (I recall Ripley's strobing the GI a lot) but again the necessity for the board is going to be higher for some games and lower (or needless) for others.

#52 8 years ago

I put the GIzmo in my Tron. Helps with the quick GI on and off during the Zeus fast scoring mode.

1 week later
    #53 8 years ago

I put the GIzmo in my TSPP yesterday and it works great. TSPP has a lot of GI on/off effects, not quite up to old Data East standards but there's still a good bit. The use of the board fits a game like this perfectly. Combined with the LED OCD, the LEDs look beautiful on this game, both the inserts and GI fade smoothly now.

#54 8 years ago

So Gizmo is just plug and play?

#55 8 years ago

Yeah. The only thing you can do with it is remove jumpers to speed up the fade on/off. That is completely optional.

2 years later
    #56 5 years ago

Two questions:

1) Am I right in reading that the GIzmo solely affects GI fade/flickering, so it would not have any impact on GI brightness?

2) Has anyone tried GIzmo in DE Jurassic Park (didn't see it in the table on herg's website)? And if so how's it working?
    http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Two questions:
    1) Am I right in reading that the GIzmo solely affects GI fade/flickering, so it would not have any impact on GI brightness?

It doesn't give you any control over brightness. It may slightly change the brightness because it converts the game's AC power to DC and smooths it. The difference will be minimal, though.

1 year later
    #58 4 years ago

Bumping with an old question ... Herg, have you heard of anyone successfully using the GIzmo in a Jurassic Park or other Data East?

#59 4 years ago

I really don't know for certain about Jurassic Park. GnR, I have seen, and it works well.

#60 4 years ago

Would this do anything in a 2016 Spider-Man VE with SAM?

#61 4 years ago

SMVE is still just regular on/off using a relay, correct? If so, yes, it would work fine with it.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

SMVE is still just regular on/off using a relay, correct? If so, yes, it would work fine with it.

Same as the original 2007 Spider-Man I believe, but it did ship from the Stern factory with LEDs

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoothing-for-stern-wip/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.