(Topic ID: 111723)

EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother (for Data East)

By caker137

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 538 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by pickleric
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy a smoother kit for your Data East Pinball?”

• Definitely! 73 votes
    55%
  • Possibly. 42 votes
    32%
  • Heck yeah, more than one! 18 votes
    14%

(133 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A55FE5F0-DE14-4F82-8568-5C079B40C815 (resized).jpeg
6C9533E8-5477-4486-B2AF-20CB0257191E (resized).jpeg
20221011_200032.jpg
20221011_200004.jpg
70402D73-53BC-4DBB-8734-998330E4E139.jpeg
6E7A661D-7029-434F-9BED-B8AF6F084A4E (resized).jpeg
20161210_132242 (resized).jpg
working_(resized).png
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
2015-05-30 12.07.57.jpg
2015-05-30 12.07.08.jpg
2015-05-30 11.44.52.jpg
2015-05-30 11.28.24.jpg
2015-05-30 11.17.26.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caker137.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I wanted to share a project I've been working on lately. I recently installed sunlight white LEDs in my Last Action Hero GI, and while I love the color, the brightness and the flashing of the GI was startling to your eyes, and made playing the game difficult. Inspired by herg's wonderful GI OCD product for B/W games, I dug into the DE schematics and it was clear I could design a PCB that would help with this problem:
pcb.jpgpcb.jpg

This PCB takes the 4 GI strings that are normally controlled by a single relay (you all know the clicking in the backbox right?) and controls them individually via a microcontroller with solid state electronics and high speed PWM.

What does this mean? Well for one, you have a lot of control over the brightness and ramp rate:
* Each GI String is individually programmable
* Set the maximum brightness for each GI string of LEDs
* Set the minimum brightness for each GI string of LEDs (you can elect for dim instead of fully off)
* Set the ramp up and ramp down rates for each GI string of LEDs (full range, from fast to very slow several seconds of rise/fall)
* Push-button control for easy programming on the fly
* Plug and play

The EnerGI Maestro is now available for purchase! Visit the website to buy yours today:

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro

***BONUS***
A bounty of $10 will be awarded to each customer that posts a pic to this thread showing the board installed in a previously untested machine.
A bounty of $20 will be awarded to each customer that posts detailed instructions how to tweak connectors, wiring, etc to make the board work on a system that it was not designed to work on
***Limit one bounty per board purchased***

installed.jpginstalled.jpg

(updated 1/19/18)

TESTED / CONFIRMED TO BE COMPATIBLE
Back to the Future
Hook
Lethal Weapon 3
Jurassic Park
Last Action Hero
Tales from the Crypt
Baywatch
Guns N Roses
Star Wars
The Who's Tommy
Batman Forever
Checkpoint
WWF Royal Rumble
Robocop
Torpedo Alley

EXPECTED TO BE COMPATIBLE
Laser War
Secret Service
Time Machine
Playboy 35th Anniversary
Phantom of the Opera
Simpsons
TMNT
Batman
Star Trek 25th
Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle
Maverick
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

POSSIBLY COMPATIBLE
High Speed
Grand Lizard
Road Kings
Pinbot
F-14 Tomcat
Fire

#2 9 years ago

Videos:

Before and after:

Installation:

Programming:

Features:

Kit:

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

Cool idea. Maybe it already does this, but can some GI be made not to flash at all? - Barry

Yes! There are 4 channels (strings) of GI in the DE machine, typically 2 to the playfield and 2 to the backbox. With the board you can individually set any of these to always be on.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

one quick note on the function or design on your board and wanted to point out something you may have missed
I am not sure how many games do this, but I do know for sure it is on Guns and Roses, possibly WWF.
The 5 pin connector has the 2 pins that control the GI relay, but on Guns and Roses the 2 leftover pins are used to power a 5th GI circuit. This circuit it actually powered by 2 diodes making rough DC voltage from the logic fuses. This powers the lamps inside the slingshots. Because it's a different source they do not go through the GI relay and are constantly lit even when the relay goes out.
I found out about this variation in GI because of the stupid place they decided to pull the power for it. If a ball gets under the slingshot and blows out a bulb (or if the sockets short, which is very likely with the way the leads almost overlap how they were stapled) then it takes out one of the paired 7A logic fuses and now the game no longer boots up.
So what I am getting to is if you did not run any lamp voltage to
these 2 pins on the 5 pin connector on your board then the slingshots lamps on GNR won't work.

I did notice that -02 and later circuit boards have these two extra signals, and so I've included an extra header /wiring harness to reroute those signals back to the PS board. I didn't know however what these were used for, so thanks for the summary. Don't worry, it should work fine (we'll know for sure once I start getting other owners to test on various machines).

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

If you disable flashing of the GI with either pulling the plug that controls the relay or the GI smoother, then I assume the lights won't go out during the startup sequence or game over correct? It would be nice to have the lights go out those 2 times but not flash the rest of the time if that's even possible.

That would indeed turn them on all the time. You can get close to what you describe with my board. Most of the time gameplay flashing is relatively fast, and in between time is relatively slow. So what you can do is set the ramp rate to super slow, and the fast flashes are too fast to turn the lights off, but between balls they ramp down slowly. I do this on my lah back box (check out the videos).

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

I know I brought up the title as an example of the issue, but isn't GoldenEye a Whitestar game? If so, looks like we're still waiting for the solution for that platform.

I'm going to have to rely on you guys to test in these different games, but a look at the GoldenEye schematic, it looks like the control signal does not come out to a connector; therefore my board would not work on GoldenEye.

The board was designed with the DE DMD era in mind. If it has a 9 pin cn8 and a 3 or 5 pin cn7 and a 4pin pigtail in-line power connector, it should work. This *might include early Sega and some alpha numeric DE. If any owners of these games want to chime in feel free. Some games could possibly be made to work with a different wiring harness, I don't know. I can start taking a look at schematics to see.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Does it have a name yet?

It needs a good name doesn't it! I'll have to ponder that.

#76 9 years ago

Just a quick update:

It seems that there is plenty of interest in this project so that I can do a run of boards. Step one is to get the boards tested in a handful of machines to make sure there aren't some issues hiding in the design. That has been started. Thanks for all the offers to test; at this point I've gotten many more offers than I have prototype boards, so I'm good in that department. Coincident with testing I'm going to study some schematics to produce a list of definite, probable, and possible compatible games. I'll post that to this thread once it is compiled. When testing wraps up, I will determine how many boards to make and place the order. Then there will be a bit of a wait for everything to arrive and get assembled and tested. Once I get stocked up, you guys can order! Hang in there if it seems like this takes a while; I'll keep this thread updated as progress is made.

1 week later
#77 9 years ago

After a review of some schematics, and some testing, I am proud to present the compatible game list:
See original post #1 in this thread for Game Compatibility List

#78 9 years ago

The EnerGI Maestro Kit is now available for Pre-Order! The price will be $115 plus shipping. Expected shipping begins in February 2015. If you would like to pre-order, please browse over to this link and submit your info to be added to the list. If you have already PM'd please use the link to make sure you are included on the list:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v9XU6DEoo5d2gyJXsGQ7y_68gRt6k-NtUBoKPPjzYlo/viewform

There is no money due now, and if you need to change your mind later, that's okay; I just need to get an idea of quantity to order for the first batch.

***BONUS***
A bounty of $10 will be awarded to each customer that posts a pic to this thread showing the board installed in a previously untested machine.
A bounty of $20 will be awarded to each customer that posts detailed instructions how to tweak connectors, wiring, etc to make the board work on a system that it was not designed to work on
***Limit one bounty per board purchased***

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Great to see you decided to sell these

I am excited there is interest! I am happy to put this into the hands of collectors that like myself love to tinker, mod, and improve these great games from decades past.

Quoted from Crash:

... like the name.

Quoted from Frax:

+1 on that..great product name.

Thanks! I spent the better part of a morning coming up with a list of names, only to mark out 75% of them that were already used. In the end I was very happy with EnerGI Maestro.

I wanted to throw out a big public thank you for my beta testers Crash and Todd F. They have given me the confidence that the board will work without issue in a large list of games. Here are some minor issues that testing turned up:

1. The board is designed with LEDs in mind, but you can run some incandescent bulbs. Just don't run more than 50% incandescent or the board might get a bit too warm (conservative estimate).
2. Any incandescent bulbs left installed will light slightly dimmer than before.
3. The 455 incandescent blinker bulbs used in some back boxes (JP, TFTC, BTTF, any others?) can cause the other LEDs in that GI string to flicker a bit when they flash; it always did this a little, but is a bit more pronounced now. If the flicker is noticeable with the back glass installed, I recommend you go with non-blinking LEDs there.
4. 455 blinker LEDs do not light up unless they receive full power. This means that with the board installed they basically do not work. I only tested with cointakers 455's; perhaps another brand might work?

If any of these are deal-breakers for you guys let me know and I can test deeper if need be. It all seems pretty minor.

Pre-Orders are rolling in! Keep them coming

#83 9 years ago

Looking for an international tester: If you have a pin on the compatible list that has all LEDs installed in the GI and your country has 50Hz power, I could use your help. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in helping. Thanks!

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I keep incandescent flashers? I use LEDs for all inserts and GI but always use regular flashers?
I am interested in this for my Baywatch in case it matters.
Just saw this thread. What is status on ordering?

You can definitely keep incandescent flashers (I too prefer this in some cases)! This board doesn't do anything to those since they are not on the GI circuit.

Take a look up six posts or so in this thread for my post about ordering; it should answer many of your questions, and includes the link to pre-order if you are interested.

BTW - the board works great in Baywatch. That was one of the initial test machines.

#89 9 years ago

Bump for pre-orders. I plan on placing my orders just after Jan 1, so if you want to ensure you'll have a board from this run, please go head over to my pre-order link so I include you in my count.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v9XU6DEoo5d2gyJXsGQ7y_68gRt6k-NtUBoKPPjzYlo/viewform
I will send an email to everyone on the list before I place the order, and I will post a last call to this thread, so you can make sure you were counted.

#91 9 years ago

LAST CALL! This is your last chance to get in on the initial run of the EnerGI Maestro. I will be placing orders very soon, so go ahead and visit the pre-order link if you want to be included.

If you have already pre-ordered, check your email (don't forget the spam folder)! Everyone that I have on the list was emailed just now, and if you did not get an email, please PM me and I can add you or double-check for your info.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I just submitted one for Baywatch to begin with, the flashing is a killer on that game. I may want to get a second for LAH somewhere down the road too.

I see you on the list now; consider you kit reserved. Thanks!

#96 9 years ago

Project Update: parts have been ordered for the pre-ordered units. After I have everything in hand, I will begin assembly and testing. Estimated shipping is still scheduled for February; I will update this thread when I have a solid ship date.

The pre-order link has been converted to a waiting list. If extra kits are available after all the pre-orders are shipped, I will email the folks on the waiting list in order of sign up to offer up the spares. After all kits are shipped out, the names remaining on the waiting list will be slated first for the next batch, and when I have enough on the list to make a new run, I will email and post here.

1 week later
#97 9 years ago

Project update: parts are in! PCBs are on order. I've spent a few nights making cables. Should have all the cables done by the time the boards show up, and then I can focus on building up the boards. Still looking like these will ship sometime in February.

I put together a simple website for the EnerGI Maestro that illustrates the features and installation. Take a look:

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

2 weeks later
#98 9 years ago

IT'S TIME! Kits are all assembled and tested and ready for shipment! If you were on the pre-order list, you should have received a paypal invoice in your email just now. If you did not receive your invoice, please check your spam folders, and if you still don't see it just pm me or email me and i can resend it. Once payment is received I will prepare your box to ship. I am really excited to get these out to everyone and hope you all enjoy the work I put into the project! Thanks again!

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

Any idea if this would work on Godzilla?

Not without some modifications. A cunning person with some schematic reading skills could probably rig something up to make it work though.

#111 9 years ago

Great to see these starting to land in your games! I'm wondering who will be the first to post a picture of the production kit installed? Crash was one of my beta testers so he ended up with the beta board, and that is what you see in his baywatch pix. Let's see the new board!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

In DESW. Very easy installation

Bounty Awarded!

Bounty Awarded!

Quoted from MJW:

Installed in GNR

If you post some pics, you're in line for a $10 bounty!

Quoted from herg:

Congrats on getting these out there for the guys with DataEast games.

Thanks Man! I am enjoying seeing them in others' games.

Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Installed mine in the LAH, love it!.... LAH fans unite!

Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you're digging it.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Pic of installed GNR

Bounty awarded!

Yup, data east designed this game to have lights on all the time in the slings and lanes. Maybe they realized it got too dim if all the lights went off at the same time, so those never flash. So does anyone know if any other DE games have a section of GI that stays on solid when the rest of the game flashes? I've only heard of GNR with this feature, but the power supply was revised to support this feature during the LAH run, but I don't think many games even have those wires hooked up.

#128 9 years ago

Update: I have a small lot of EnerGI Maestro kits available for purchase now! If you didn't feel like pre-ordering, now is your chance to get one immediately. Just visit the website and click on the PayPal button to purchase and I'll get yours shipped right out to you.

Direct link for buy it now page:

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/buy-it-now

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballnut3:

dada dada dada dada Batman

Bounty awarded!

#140 9 years ago

Important update: I have just been informed of a mounting issue with the circuit board. It turns out that the back of the head uses 1/2" thick board, while the sides of the head are 3/4". I did not realize the back was not the same as the sides. This means the mounting screws come too close to going all the way through the wood and may cause small bumps to appear on the back of the head. This is a minor cosmetic issue on the back of the machine, but I understand if you don't want this to happen. To avoid this I suggest putting a washer under each screw head before screwing the board down. For any future kits shipped out I will include some washers, and/or change screw lengths. For any of you guys that already ordered, if you want me to send some washers, just PM me and I'll mail some out.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Checkpoint installed

Bounty awarded!

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Here is video of mine in DESW.

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

Quoted from Blackjacker:

Very nice job with this one, Craig.

Thank you! I'm really glad to hear from you guys enjoying it!

#151 9 years ago

Seems like there no fade effect at all anymore, is that what you're going for?

I think if you look closely you can see he has the board set up to be somewhat bright for "MIN" and pretty slow on the rates up/down. This coupled with the difficulty to film LEDs and it's a little hard to see the difference between max and min. If you look closely when he does speeder mode you can see the LEDs dim.

1 week later
#159 9 years ago

Well, this is for DE games...

It *probably* works as-is in system 11a with no modifications; with other system 11 generations, some change of connector in the patch cabling could make it work.

#161 9 years ago

Sweet, if someone does the mod for 11c I'd be interested!

You could be that guy! And you could get a $20 bounty for describing how to do it! Grab a schematic and take a look at your connectors. If you have any specific questions, post here and I and others can help.

3 weeks later
#166 9 years ago

FYI - coming to Texas with a few of these:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/energi-maestro-kits-at-tpf-swap-meet

BTW -anyone who purchased the kit bringing it to TPF installed in a game?

1 month later
#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

My test board is working flawlessly after being on location for about a month!

Excellent! Thanks for the report!

2 weeks later
#173 8 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

So, this works in Sega machines? All of them, or just the early ones?
If so, I have like 10 I will need to buy

Just the early ones. If you check the first post in this thread you can see the compatibility list. Basically anything that uses the data east v3 CPU system, so 3 or 4 Sega machines. I'm not saying I'd would be impossible to adapt it to a later game, but much more diy wiring to get that to work.

1 week later
#180 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I just noticed you said "always-on", so you just want a constant duty cycle, correct? I think you should be able to do that without needing to monitor the state of the relay. Maybe you'd have to pull an input high/low to make it stay in the on state, but I would think that would be the only modification you'd need. Of course, you'd need to route power to it. Craig, what do you think?

Hmm, if the strands never flash anyway, it should be a pretty easy task to wire that up. You wouldn't have to hook up the control signal, it would default to " on." You would have to hook up the input power with a custom cable since the gi power in connector changed. Then you could set the brightness of each string to whatever your eyes want.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Power input - this will require a new adapter cable
CN9 on DE games
J14 on Stern
P1 on the Maestro
Output - same pinout, just use the Maestro cable or even direct connect if the cable reaches
CN8 on DE
J15 on Stern
P4 on the Maestro
Control signal - no connection. According to Craig, you can leave if floating and the Maestro will default to ON.
CN7 on DE game
Stern games don't bring this to a connector
P3 on the Maestro
The GI section of the Stern board will be completely out of the loop. Just power into the Maestro, controlled power out of the Maestro.

Great summary herg! I concurr with your descriptions/pinouts. As far as the 1 custom cable you'll have to make for P1, there are only 2 signals (on 6 wires on Stern, 4 wires on DE) and they are AC so polarity doesn't matter. If you do happen to take on this as a customized installation jfesler, please post details in this thread for others to see! The $20 bounty is still in play as your reward!

2 weeks later
#191 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

I have successfully used Caker137's EnerGI Maestro on my Stern Indiana Jone

Great job and great write up! Bounty awarded!

1 month later
#193 8 years ago

In case some of you have been watching, the EnerGI Maestro kits sold out last month and the order page was replaced by a wait list. Well it looks like there is enough interest for a *small* batch to be run (utilizing my existing spare PCBs), but this could be the last run for a while. If you are thinking of buying a kit, now is your chance. Head over to the wait list and sign up to make sure you get one. I will be checking parts inventory soon and planning the run for delivery near the end of this month. As before, no money is due to get onto the wait list; a PayPal invoice will be sent when your kit is ready to ship.

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/waitlist

Thanks to all of you who are using the EnerGI Maestro! Your excitement is what makes this endeavor worthwhile!

2 weeks later
#196 8 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Here is a WWF Royal Rumble with the installation!!!

And that's good for a bounty award!!

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

I went to order one and sadly it says sold out

The last run was very small, but there might be a few extras. If you put your name onto the waitlist on the website I will contact people in order to distribute the extra kits should ant remain, or if enough interest is shown a future run is not out of the question!

#201 8 years ago

Based on the waitlist growing again, it looks like there is enough demand for more kits! I have placed a pcb order (which is the longest lead-time item) so keep those requests coming on the waitlist. Once the boards ship I will order parts for enough kits to cover everyone on the list. I will send an email to the guys on the list when I have an ETA (pcb order can take a few weeks). If you want to be included in this run head over to the waitlist and place your preorder:

1 week later
#202 8 years ago

A new minor issue has been discovered with the EnerGI Maestro Kit and some machines that I wanted to bring to everyone's attention to help with your troubleshooting.

A few recent customers have noticed some LED bulbs in each GI string not lighting up when the other bulbs do. If you've had no problems with your installation lighting up all of the LEDs then this does not apply to you.

When I designed the kit I investigated a few machines to see if the wiring on the GI bulbs was consistent, ie were each of the bulb sockets wired with the same polarity. Since the GI was originally incandescents running on AC, polarity did not actually matter, but my investigations led me to believe that the sockets were all wired consistently anyway (good assembly line practices). This was good news for best compatibility for the older style LED bulbs that are not "fully rectified" since my board converts the AC to DC.

Unfortunately it now seems that not every machine's GI was wired with this consistent socket polarity. Some reversed sockets have been found in a few backboxes, and a hand full of other places too. This causes the old style non "fully rectified" LED bulbs to not light up at all.

The solution is pretty simple; use a newer LED. I don't believe you can actually even purchase bulbs at this point that are not fully rectified. The old style flickered pretty bad in GI which is why now everything is fully rectified. Keep in mind you don't need any ghostbusting or specialty bulbs to work with the EnerGI Maestro; the cheap bulbs work great as long as they are fully rectified.

Let me know if you have any questions on this issue.

Craig

2 weeks later
#203 8 years ago

BACK IN STOCK!

I have a very limited number of extra kits from the most recent run. I have put the buy it now site back online here:

When these are out of stock it may be a while before another run is started, so get them while you can! Thanks!

Craig

2 months later
#204 8 years ago

Just a quick bump to let everyone know there aren't many kits left. If you've been waiting, now's is your chance before they go out of stock again!

I've had my board installed in my LAH for just about 1 year now. Still loving it. Anyone else want to comment about the long term performance of the kit?

1 month later
#210 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What size is the board? I can't mount it in my Baywatch where you show it mounted as that is where my shaker relay board is mounted. Are there other mounting options?

The board is about 3.75" x 2.5" and your mounting is only limited by the length of the cables. If you can find an open spot of wood that's not further away than shown in the pic it should work. Is the relay board you speak of a standard Baywatch item? If so you might ask some of the baywatchers in this thread what they did.

Quoted from kklank:

When's the next batch coming out? I'd love to have it.

That's really up to you guys . When I have enough names on the waitlist to do the small batch order, I'll send an email to confirm interest, and start a new batch up.

Glad you guys are liking the board!
Craig

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Does that keep it from flashing?

Exactly.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Any idea when these might be back in stock?

Depends on interest; based on the list as it stands today, I would guess late January for invoice and shipping of the next batch.

#226 8 years ago

Wow! You guys sure rounded up a quick batch worth for requests for these! Looks like the next batch is a go for sure. I'm out for the holidays next week but will check on the list when I return and then I'll place some orders. Keep those names coming so I make sure and order enough for everyone that wants one. I'll send a confirmation email before the order to make sure everyone is still in. Thanks again fellow pinheads!

1 week later
#228 8 years ago

OK guys! The confirmation email has just been sent to the email you registered on the wait list. If for some reason you don't receive it please PM me for your confirmation.

For everyone else still on the fence, there is still time to get in on this batch (but not a whole lot of time . Head on over and sign up on the wait list and I'll get the confirmation email out to you immediately.

#234 8 years ago

Parts have arrived and assembly has begun! I've seen a few more names pop onto the waitlist very recently and everyone is covered so far with what I have ordered. Once I get everything built and tested, I will send out PayPal invoices to you guys and the kit's will ship immediately upon payment. Looks like these might go out sometime next week. Thanks again everyone for the interest.

#236 8 years ago

The new batch of kits are ready to ship! Each of you that expressed interest should have received a paypal invoice. If you don't see an invoice in your email, check your spam filters or give me a PM or an email and I can resend it.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from puck:

.. Thanks for the kit. Will post photos/video of Robocop when installed.

Cool, RoboCop is a previously untested game! You get the $10 bounty for your pix posted when you get it installed

1 week later
#242 8 years ago
Quoted from puck:

Confirmed working in Robocop.

Neat! Bounty awarded! Fantastic looking machine BTW!

#251 8 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad you all are enjoying it.

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

Im in - you can send me an invoice I guess - if you have them in stock

The order page is back up at the website; you can just click the PayPal over there and I'll get one out to you. Supply is getting pretty low so the waitlist page will be back up before too long.

1 month later
#257 8 years ago

Congrats guys! You've depleted my stock on these again, so the Waitlist is back up on the website. You know the drill, if you want to sign up for a future run head over there and enter your info. You'll be notified once we have enough folks on the list to cover another run. Thanks again to all of you for your interest!

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

I did some Energi-Maestro hype on my Twitch stream the other night, and will be doing a live installation stream soon on the WWF Royal Rumble pin. Such a cool product!

Cool! Got a link?

1 month later
#260 7 years ago

Just a quick update, I've got several of you signed up on the waitlist. As of today we are about half way there to run a new batch. Keep that interest coming!

1 week later
#264 7 years ago
Quoted from trevorm:

I'll take 3. I'm on the waitlis

You already seem to be on the list for 3, so we're good

Quoted from Whysnow:

If you dont have me down, pleae put me down.

Whysnow, If you can, please add yourself to the list here: https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/waitlist this way I can make sure and get you on the email list when we are ready to go live.

1 week later
#268 7 years ago

Hey everyone, a quick update: Looks like we have enough names on the wait list to run the next batch! I have sent an email to everyone on the list asking for a confirmation of interest so that I can make sure and order enough parts for everyone. If you though you were on the list, but did not get an email, just shoot me a PM and I can get it sorted out. Thanks again everyone for the interest! I'm glad the kit is finding so many homes in your machines!

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from Tickerguy:

Am I correct that this is not compatible with the WhiteStar games (e.g. Apollo 13)?

You are correct; this is not directly compatible with whitestar. Perhaps with some hacking....

#271 7 years ago

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the parts orders were placed today! A usual I ordered for a few extras, so it you just missed out, don't worry, I'll probably have you covered....for a little while anyway. I'll post here when kits are built and ready for shipment. I'm targeting the end of June for shipping finished kits.

Craig

3 weeks later
#275 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

I just added an additional request, so now I'd like 2 of them. One for Hook and one for Star Trek 25.

I see you there on the list, and have you covered! Kits should be shipping next week.

#276 7 years ago

Kits are ready! If you signed up on the wait list you should have received an email invoice from PayPal. If you didn't see the invoice, remember to check your spam folder, and if it is still nowhere to be found, PM or email me and I will resend it for you. Thanks everyone for the interest! Great to see these things finding homes in all your machines.

2 weeks later
#277 7 years ago

Hey everyone! All of the pre-ordered kits have been delivered to their new homes and that leaves just a few extra kits available for purchase straight out of inventory. I have updated the website to allow for buy-it-now should anyone want to get one now. Kits usually ship the very next day via USPS priority. Here is the direct link:

Just click "Get It Now" in the top navigation menu.

If you have any questions, as always, just let me know.

1 month later
#280 7 years ago

Quiet in this thread lately. Everyone still enjoying the EnerGI Maestro in your machines?

3 months later
#285 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm considering this for my DE Star Trek... but not sure I actually need this yet.
This would only really be useful for LED based GI; right?
IIRC, I use LEDs for the backbox... but haven't done much conversion away from incandescent on the PF.
Thoughts?

Yup, only helpful if you have mostly LEDs installed. Do that first and afterwards if you notice the GI LED flashing being overpowering, then you could consider ordering a kit.

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I had some extra mods I installed and when I buy the board in I had to swap wires. Guessing polarity changed.go buy this now

Nice catch. The GI actually gets converted from AC to (pulsed) DC, so the polarity of LED that weren't fully rectified now have to be correct with the kit installed.

Beautiful machine btw!

1 week later
#293 7 years ago

Well we're all sold out out! The wait list is back up on the website.

3 months later
#296 7 years ago

New batch coming soon! There's still time to get on the wait list since I'll make a few extra. I'll keep everyone posted as parts roll in and boards get built, and I get an idea of when these will be ready to ship. As always, thanks for the interest!

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Yeah, put me on the wait list for 2 if available.

Feel free to head over to the website and sign up on the list. That guarantees that your email is in the pool for when I send announcements and build updates! Thanks!

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

... anyone else seen these?

Hmm. I would suggest you unplug the EnerGI Maestro board and reconnect everything factory to see if the oddities clear up. I am pretty sure some rottendog power supplies have been used before, but I think I remember someone saying the connections were maybe less obvious? Maybe some checkpoint owners or rottendog owners can chime in.

2 weeks later
#311 7 years ago

Coming soon! The next run is under way. Emails will be sent when these are ready. I plan on building the new set in two batches back to back, with the wait list being served in a first come first served basis. The first units could start shipping out as early as next week.

Craig

1 week later
#312 6 years ago

Hello again! I have emailed everyone on the wait list to double check what you want to buy. Please check your email if you are still waiting to hear from me and if you can't find something from me, just email or pm. I will be releasing the remaining inventory out onto the website for general ordering pretty soon, so if you want to make sure you get one, let me know this week! Thanks everyone!

#314 6 years ago

Hello everyone! The extra kits have been loaded into inventory. This means for a little while, you'll be able to head over to the site and complete your purchase as your needs arise. I also want to announce that the lead-free build went very well, and will be the way these are produced from now on. This means I can ship anywhere in the world with full rohs compatibility! Remember to PM or email me for international shipping rates.

US buyers can buy from the site here:

Just click the Get It Now tab in the menu bar

1 month later
#316 6 years ago

How is everyone enjoying the EnerGI Maestro? I'd love to hear from you in this thread. Let's give some love to those great Data East games!

1 month later
#317 6 years ago

Well I'm sold out again, so the wait list is back up on the website. Please sign up there if you are interested in getting a kit, and when there is enough backlog I'll make another run for you all. Thanks again everyone for interest in the EnerGI Maestro!

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I love it! Installation was pretty easy, except some phillips head screws would have been a little easier to mount
I rewired the backbox lighting so one string is the Lethal Weapon lights (red frosted) and programmed those to max brightness the entire time, so they never shut off.

Nice idea! I like how the title stays on steady. BTW - 1/4" nut driver. Even easier than phillips. 1/4 is used all over pinball machines. Get it. Love it.

4 months later
#330 6 years ago

Hi everyone! I've ordered parts for the next batch of kits! I estimate these will be ready near the end of January. For those of you on the waitlist, I will send an email in the coming weeks to confirm you are still interested in getting the kit(s) you signed up for; for everyone else, there is still time to put your name on the list to make sure a kit is set aside for you! As always I make a few extras of these and will have them up for sale when the build completes. Thanks again for the interest in the EnerGI Maestro!

Craig

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Added to the wait list. My TFTC always gets the special treatment

Davebart, you just missed the email I sent to the waitlist earlier today asking for confirmation of interest, so I'll just mark you confirmed for 1. These should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks, and I'll send an email when we get close. Thanks again everyone for your interest!

1 week later
#337 6 years ago

Hello again everyone! The latest batch is complete and ready for shipment. As usual I have put together some extras to keep as inventory on the website. If you want to buy one, head on over to the website, pick "Get It Now" off the top navigation bar, and click the paypal button. Or if you need international shipment, just shoot me an email or pm and I'll get you a shipping quote.

Thanks again everybody!

#338 6 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention, if you signed up on the waitlist, you should have received an email from me by now. If you don't find it in your inbox, or your spam folder, feel free to email me or pm, and I can get you set up. I have held back enough kits to cover the waitlist, so you're covered if you act now

Craig

1 week later
#340 6 years ago

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that all waitlist units have been taken care of, so the remaining inventory is now loaded onto the website for direct purchase, for however long it lasts.

Here's a question I was wondering about: how many of you tweak the programmed timing and levels on your EnerGI Maestro, and how many of you just leave it at factory default settings? I'd love to know, so post and share if you like!

Craig

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from Ensignmh:

Received and installed on my DE Torpedo Alley last night.

Bounty awarded! Thanks Adam!

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Does this fix ghosting issues?

The EnerGI Maestro is for the general illumination circuits, not the controlled light matrix. Only the controlled light matrix has ghosting problems, so that's not what this kit is for.

This kit helps eliminate the harshness of the on-off flashing that Data East does with the GI circuit, and allows you to adjust overall brightness. It also eliminates the relay clicking noise, which is something a lot of people are keen on.

If you want to order more than one you can just pm me and I can send you a paypal invoice, or if you order 2 via the website, just add a comment in the purchase or let me know via email and I'll combine shipping and refund you the difference.

4 months later
#350 5 years ago

I have just a few more in stock. Who needs one?

1 month later
#352 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Wondering if this board is compatible with Goldeneye?

Goldeneye is a whitestar system, so not compatible with the EnerGI Maestro. You might look into herg's GI gizmo for that game (search this thread for the keyword Goldeneye)

Quoted from unlockpinball:

when you check out on the website you can only purchase 1 board.

If you would like to order more than one you can either just shoot me an email and I can send an invoice. Or if you place individual orders, just let me know and I will combine shipping and refund the difference. If you'd like to combine more into your recent order, just let me know. I usually ship next day so if I don't hear from you I'll go ahead and send your one kit on it's way. Thanks for your interest!

1 week later
#355 5 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Do you have any confirmation

I've had some folks install in Torpedo Alley and Checkpoint and they reported success. It really should work in Phantom. If you want to give it a try, buy one and install it, and if it's a no go, just send it back to me and I'll refund you.

Craig

ps full list of tested games here:

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Is there any delay timing wise

LAH does the same thing with synchronized gi flashes. They still line up well to the music unless you set up the fade out speed to be really slow. If you keep the playfield fade speed similar to what your gizmo does today, I think it would act pretty much the same.

1 week later
#358 5 years ago

We're sold out again! Thank you all for your continued interest. I've put the waitlist back up on the website. If you'd like to sign up for the next batch just go here:

Once the list gets long enough to place a bulk order I will email all on the list to confirm interest and then I'll get some more kits put together.

3 months later
#364 5 years ago

The wait is almost over! Parts orders are going in this month, targeting shipment late January. If you want a kit please head over to the website and sign up on the waitlist and I'll make sure a kit is built for you. No need to sign up again if you are already on the list. Everyone on the list should have received an email letting you know that kits will be built soon. If you didn't get an email even though you signed up, shoot me a PM and I'll get it straightened out for you.

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#365 5 years ago

EnerGI Maestro is back in stock! I've put some extras back up on the website for direct purchase for USA destinations. Or, if you are international or if you'd like more than one kit, just let me know and I can send a PayPal invoice with the correct shipping amount.

If you've signed up on the waitlist and have not already been receiving email communications from me, just PM here; I still have held back enough kits to cover the entire waitlist, but those will be released to the general population next week if I haven't heard from you by then.

Thanks everyone! And don't forget to post your install pics in this thread! Love to see them.

2 months later
#367 5 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Awesome product, just ordered, can't wait. I already had a GI OCD and insert OCD board from a Williams game, so got the playfield OCD installed and this is what i need for the GI!

Watched the videos, well done on the effects.

Thanks! Hope you like the kit. You should have it in just a few days. Hard to believe this design is 5 years old. Glad you guys are still digging it.

Craig

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

How long do you have to hold down the PROG button to enter programming? I've held it for up to a minute and it hasn't entered programming mode.

Should be much quicker than that, like 1 second. Things to try:

1 red lights are cycling normally after boot up?
2 Make sure your pressing the correct button (sorry, had to say it)
3 Try holding up and down together for 2 seconds to factory reset.
4 Hold down prog while powering up. This should enter a test mode where each string cycles before booting into regular mode.

Feel free to email me if you're still having trouble and let me know how the above goes. I can provide more timely support that way as opposed to pinside which I don't check quite as often.

[email protected]
Craig

#374 5 years ago

Well we're sold out again! The spares from the last batch went pretty quick this time. You know the drill; the waitlist is back up on the website. Sign up if you want to buy a kit and when we get enough names I'll begin a new batch. Thanks everyone!

4 months later
#378 4 years ago

Hey guys, if you signed up on the waitlist, please check your email. I've sent an email to each of you asking for confirmation of interest in buying the next batch of kits. Once I hear back from enough of you I can place the order. If you signed up but didn't get an email from me, just shoot me a PM or email and I'll get you confirmed as still interested (or if no longer interested, thats okay, just let me know). Thanks!

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

I put in my info after this post. so I wouldn't be in your email list but I am interested.

Confirmation noted. Thanks!

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I’m in for Jurassic Park.

Gotcha!

#383 4 years ago

Parts order has been placed! There's still time to get on the list since I order some extras. I'll keep you all posted when I have an expected ship date.

1 week later
#385 4 years ago

Cables and kit accessories are done for the next batch. I'm just waiting for boards to come back from the pcb house. I'm guessing I'll be ready to ship around the first week of Sept.

1 week later
#386 4 years ago

Kits are ready to ship to all waitlisters. Invoices are sent; check your email. If you don't see it there or in your spam folder, drop me a message and I can send it again.

After all waitlisters are taken care of I will release all surplus kits to the website for open ordering.

Thanks!

#388 4 years ago

The waitlist is down, and I've put the few extras up on the website for order. I'll add any remaining kits that go unclaimed by wait-list-ers into that inventory at the beginning of next week. Thanks everyone!

2 months later
#389 4 years ago

I've got a few spares left. I also wanted to let everyone know that this might be the last batch I produce (or at least for a long while). So if you're on the fence, grab one while you can from the website! Thanks again for your interest.

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from SWMurphy:

Has anyone tried this on Monday Night Football? Any reason why it might now work?

I haven't heard of anyone installing in that game, but a quick look at the manual and it seems like it should work fine. Maybe open up your game and make sure all the connectors called out on the website install instructions are all present and the same. If everything matches I'd say you're good to go.

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/installation

2 years later
#426 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Craig, do you think you can make a new batch of these? It’s been 3 years since and I’ve gotten 4 DEs since then! I only bought 1 board. If you remake them I will be in for 5.

Honestly i was unable to get some of the parts even before recent supply chain issues.

1 month later
#433 2 years ago

Out of curiosity i checked around for stock. 8 parts unavailable currently. 5 of those don't have obvious replacements.

What a world we live in now....

5 months later
#436 1 year ago

I am currently evaluating the possibility of running one more batch of kits, but the global production environment has changed like so many things in this modern supply chain world. To that end the price will be a bit higher than when the kit went out of production 2 years ago and I will also have to increase the batch size.

If you are interested in the kit which will necessarily be priced at $140, please visit the waitlist site and sign up so that I can get a good head count. If there is enough interest and I can source parts the production might be in our future.

Thank You!

Craig Aker
caker137

1 week later
#443 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

By kit do you mean I have to solder it myself?

Nope. Kit implies it comes with board and all cables. You just have to plug it in.

#447 1 year ago

Good news everyone! I have placed the order for a new batch of EnerGI Maestro boards. As always I ordered some extras beyond the ones you all signed up for, so if anyone is on the fence you still have a chance to get on the list. Everyone that signed up has a kit allocated, so don't worry if you are already submitted to the waitlist.

Estimated arrival on these is 4-6 weeks; I will keep you all posted.

Caker

#451 1 year ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I very much want to be on the list please!!!!

Hey guys just a reminder, if you'd like to be on the list, please add yourselves here

2 weeks later
#452 1 year ago

Update:

These are scheduled to arrive to me at the end of this month... as of now.

Craig

4 weeks later
#457 1 year ago

Kits are now ready to ship! if you signed up you should have received a paypal invoice to your waitlist email address. Please check your spam folders if you don't see it, and if you still don't see it send me a pm and I'll get you set up. Thank you all for the excitement level on this batch! They don't look to last too long.

#463 1 year ago

Big batch hit the mail today! Tracking numbers have been sent to your email.

Craig

#465 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Will there be another batch of these run in the future?

Unclear. As of now there are some pqrts out of stock again. Assume it might be a while.

The good news: go ahead and put yourself on the waitlist. If i end up with extras from this batch, that's where ill start offering up spares. Usuaully one or two buyers drop out at the end so your odds are good. I only see 1 name on the list as of today.

#470 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Sorry if the directions got thrown out or mayble a link mentioned, but I don't know where to install this

As blackjacker mentioned, instructions are on the website; there should have been a small slip of paper with that URL in the package. Keeping the instructions online keeps them up to date and full of nice color pictures (and videos).
https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/installation

Quoted from Zitt:

Did this batch sell out? IE are we waitlisted for the next batch

I usually give the pre-order waitlisters a little while to pay or opt out, and then I will offer up the remaining kits to everyone. There will probably be some extras this time (a few guys always drop off), so I will first consult the waitlist to offer these extras before putting up a purchase link on the EnerGI Maestro website. Should happen around the end of this week.

#475 1 year ago

Hey guys, fair warning if you've signed up on the wait-list, this is your last chance to reply to the email offer for a kit. After today the remaining kits will go onto the website and anyone can buy. If you still want your place in line, shoot me a reply email. If you think you are on the list but did not see the email invoice or offer, shoot me a pm.

#478 1 year ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

The instant on and off flashing is smoothed out

Nice video! Thanks for sharing. Now you can play with programming options like limiting max brightness or keeping dim light on even when commanded to extinguish. One thing i do is set the backbox fall rate to super slow. This effectively stops it from flashing, but still lets it fade to dark when its supposed to be off for a longer period.

#479 1 year ago

I don't know if you'll believe this, but I'm down to the last kit! I put the purchase page back up on the website. First person to get there gets it:

#480 1 year ago

Well that didn't take long....
SOLD OUT

2 weeks later
#485 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

right half of my backbox, which are all daisy chained together, are dimmer than the other half.

I would bypass the board temporarily to see if the two backbox strings still look different.

Quoted from Mattyk:

also feel like my left flipper isn’t as powerful

I can't imagine that would be related to the mod.

#487 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:right half of my backbox, which are all daisy chained together, are dimmer than the other half.

I also should have mentioned, max brightness is a setting in user configuration. Is it possible you just have the 2 strings set to different brightnesses?

#490 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

to be honest didn't really understand the directions

Did you happen to watch the videos from the website?

5 months later
#500 11 months ago

Looks like the waitlist is getting a bit more full. I'll take a look for parts availabilty and let you guys know where we stand on the next batch.

#501 11 months ago

Good news, it looks like sourcing parts is a go for another batch. Last call for those of you who haven't signed up on the waitlist. I'll use that list to get a pricing quote. Once I get the quote back, I'll send a message to all on the waitlist to confirm your interest. Keep in mind these runs are comming slower due to slowing interest.

C

1 week later
#506 11 months ago

All parts are now on order for our next batch. Inflation raised parts cost slightly putting these at $154 each. I should be able to ship in June.

#508 11 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

How do we officially order?

If you are on the waitlist, you are good. If not sign up here:

As always I ordered a few extras so even if you didn't sign up yet, go ahead to reserve your place in line by signing up now and there will likely be one for you when they are completed. Once they get closer I will email evryone on the list to confirm interest, then I'll email invoices when things are ready to ship.

3 weeks later
#510 10 months ago

We are ready to ship!

If you replied to the last email confirmation, you will receive a paypal invoice in the next day or two. Please check your spam folder if you don't see it in that time. Once this invoice is paid your unit(s) will ship out within a few business days. If you didn't already confirm your interest via email, please pm me with your email address and let me know that you still want a kit so that I can get an invoice sent off to you immediately. All wait-listers are all still in line with a reservation, but after a short period, I will offer up all remaining kits to pinside, and they can go pretty fast.

Craig

#512 10 months ago

Invoices just went out today. If you are expecting one and don't see it, please check your spam filter. If still nothing, shoot me a message and we'll get it sorted. Thanks!

#514 10 months ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Will this work on a Sega goldeneye?

Goldeneye is whitestar, so no

#515 10 months ago

I've put the extra kits from this batch up for direct purchase on the EnerGI Maestro website. If you want one head over there and click to buy. If you want more than one, drop me a message as combining saves a lot on shipping.

This is either the last batch ever, or it will be quite a while before more are made, so get them while you can.

1 week later
#520 10 months ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

here’s a quick video

Nice video! Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#521 9 months ago

If you guys have any trouble with the paypal button on the website, let me know; paypal was having some trouble updating my inventory, but I think I got it sorted. Still have a few available.

#522 9 months ago

FYI, the paypal button on the website is working fine now.

#528 9 months ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

I noticed as I’m playing that I was getting voltage drops everywhere. Right flipper slowed down, VUK took three tries to shoot the ball up, DMD was skipping and audio was crackling. Not constant, just random events as the game was going. Finally the game just reset itself.

Hmm. The GI runs on a totally separate powere feed from all the things you listed as dropping out. My first thought is there is some other issue. Perhaps some other cable wire wiggled loose while you were installing the board. Could also be a coincidence that something has decided it is time to fail.

If you can't figure out the cause, I'd reconnect your GI back to factory and see if that makes the problems go away. If that does, or you can positively confim it is related to the Min setting being not OFF, let me know and we'll go from there.

#530 9 months ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

How many stages of fade are in the Fade In and Fade Out so I know how many times to press

I've never been asked that! I had to go back and look at the code.

25 levels of brightness, including "off" for max and min

17 rise or fall speeds

I think i have the math right now

1 month later
#532 8 months ago

Orders are trickling in for the last few units in stock. Thanks for the interest in these everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caker137.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east?tu=caker137 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.