(Topic ID: 111723)

EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother (for Data East)

By caker137

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 538 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by pickleric
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy a smoother kit for your Data East Pinball?”

• Definitely! 73 votes
    55%
  • Possibly. 42 votes
    32%
  • Heck yeah, more than one! 18 votes
    14%

(133 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A55FE5F0-DE14-4F82-8568-5C079B40C815 (resized).jpeg
6C9533E8-5477-4486-B2AF-20CB0257191E (resized).jpeg
20221011_200032.jpg
20221011_200004.jpg
70402D73-53BC-4DBB-8734-998330E4E139.jpeg
6E7A661D-7029-434F-9BED-B8AF6F084A4E (resized).jpeg
20161210_132242 (resized).jpg
working_(resized).png
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
2015-05-30 12.07.57.jpg
2015-05-30 12.07.08.jpg
2015-05-30 11.44.52.jpg
2015-05-30 11.28.24.jpg
2015-05-30 11.17.26.jpg
There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 7 years ago

Has anyone installed this in Star Trek or rocky and bullwinkle. I have it for hook and Star Wars and both of those strobe quite a bit without it, but I'm wondering if it's worth having for R&B or DEST

#302 7 years ago

Thank goodness! My baywatch goes on route next week, this will save my patrons from the seizure inducing relays.

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Has anyone installed this in Star Trek or rocky and bullwinkle. I have it for hook and Star Wars and both of those strobe quite a bit without it, but I'm wondering if it's worth having for R&B or DEST

Yes, I had this in rocky and bulkwinkle, makes a huge difference!

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Thank goodness! My baywatch goes on route next week, this will save my patrons from the seizure inducing relays.

i have it in baywatch and it gets rid of the relay clicking soounds and the seizure induced lights.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

... anyone else seen these?

Hmm. I would suggest you unplug the EnerGI Maestro board and reconnect everything factory to see if the oddities clear up. I am pretty sure some rottendog power supplies have been used before, but I think I remember someone saying the connections were maybe less obvious? Maybe some checkpoint owners or rottendog owners can chime in.

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Hmm. I would suggest you unplug the EnerGI Maestro board and reconnect everything factory to see if the oddities clear up. I am pretty sure some rottendog power supplies have been used before, but I think I remember someone saying the connections were maybe less obvious? Maybe some checkpoint owners or rottendog owners can chime in.

Yeah, that's the plan when I get some free time. Will report back.

#307 7 years ago

I have had issues with Rottendog boards ... Switched to XPin and have had no issues!

1 week later
#308 7 years ago

Put my name on the wait list.

1 week later
#309 7 years ago

Just added my name to the waiting list! I hope you make another run soon.

#310 7 years ago

Worth the wait love mine ...

#311 7 years ago

Coming soon! The next run is under way. Emails will be sent when these are ready. I plan on building the new set in two batches back to back, with the wait list being served in a first come first served basis. The first units could start shipping out as early as next week.

Craig

1 week later
#312 6 years ago

Hello again! I have emailed everyone on the wait list to double check what you want to buy. Please check your email if you are still waiting to hear from me and if you can't find something from me, just email or pm. I will be releasing the remaining inventory out onto the website for general ordering pretty soon, so if you want to make sure you get one, let me know this week! Thanks everyone!

#313 6 years ago

Just got mine today. Thanks! Probably won't install it until later this week as my machine is Part, but excited.

#314 6 years ago

Hello everyone! The extra kits have been loaded into inventory. This means for a little while, you'll be able to head over to the site and complete your purchase as your needs arise. I also want to announce that the lead-free build went very well, and will be the way these are produced from now on. This means I can ship anywhere in the world with full rohs compatibility! Remember to PM or email me for international shipping rates.

US buyers can buy from the site here:
https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

Just click the Get It Now tab in the menu bar

1 week later
#315 6 years ago

Just purchased one for my baywatch.

1 month later
#316 6 years ago

How is everyone enjoying the EnerGI Maestro? I'd love to hear from you in this thread. Let's give some love to those great Data East games!

1 month later
#317 6 years ago

Well I'm sold out again, so the wait list is back up on the website. Please sign up there if you are interested in getting a kit, and when there is enough backlog I'll make another run for you all. Thanks again everyone for interest in the EnerGI Maestro!

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/waitlist

#318 6 years ago

Well I think I might be the guy who bought the last one! Received it Wednesday, finally have time to post my review, installed in a Lethal Weapon 3

I love it! Installation was pretty easy, except some phillips head screws would have been a little easier to mount

I rewired the backbox lighting so one string is the Lethal Weapon lights (red frosted) and programmed those to max brightness the entire time, so they never shut off. The other string is the rest of backbox (normal white frosted) and set a quick ramp/fade rate so they still blink, but not as strobe-y as they were without it. Now one string is 12 sockets (with 10 used) and the other string is 24 sockets (with about 22 used). I figure the imbalance is fine since the current draw is now so much lower

Playfield GI is set like the white in the backbox, so I didn't capture that on video. The white light in the top right of the backbox is a reflection. It was late by the time I got done installing.

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I love it! Installation was pretty easy, except some phillips head screws would have been a little easier to mount
I rewired the backbox lighting so one string is the Lethal Weapon lights (red frosted) and programmed those to max brightness the entire time, so they never shut off.

Nice idea! I like how the title stays on steady. BTW - 1/4" nut driver. Even easier than phillips. 1/4 is used all over pinball machines. Get it. Love it.

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Nice idea! I like how the title stays on steady. BTW - 1/4" nut driver. Even easier than phillips. 1/4 is used all over pinball machines. Get it. Love it.

Oh I’ve got a full set of nut drivers, but not for my drill and my drill was too large to drill pilot holes in the right places. Wood was a little stiff to do it by hand (also I was impatient and eager to install!)

3 weeks later
#321 6 years ago

Have this board in my Baywatch (came with it), seems to work great! Following thread for news of future batches.

1 week later
#322 6 years ago

Sadly sold my TFTC have a
EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother (Data East) available for sale! Never used!

#323 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Sadly sold my TFTC have a
EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother (Data East) available for sale! Never used!

PM sent

1 month later
#324 6 years ago

Anyone have one or two of these boards for sale? I added myself to the wait list on the site too.

#325 6 years ago

Joined the waitlist!

#326 6 years ago

I installed this board on my Baywatch and I have to say, it was worth every penny! I like to play in the dark, and couldn't before the board due to seizure multiball/modes/etc. Plus that clicking! What were they thinking?!?! Anyways, just wanted to say thanks to caker137 for making this awesome little board and making DE games that much more enjoyable!

1 week later
#327 6 years ago

Is there any reason why someone couldn't install both this and a PinSound board in the same game? I'm thinking about installing both in my GnR.

#328 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is there any reason why someone couldn't install both this and a PinSound board in the same game? I'm thinking about installing both in my GnR.

Nope. Have both in mine, along with the LED OCD. PinSound is running on a separate power supply, though.

3 weeks later
#329 6 years ago

Looking for one of these for my tftc. I added my name to the list.

#330 6 years ago

Hi everyone! I've ordered parts for the next batch of kits! I estimate these will be ready near the end of January. For those of you on the waitlist, I will send an email in the coming weeks to confirm you are still interested in getting the kit(s) you signed up for; for everyone else, there is still time to put your name on the list to make sure a kit is set aside for you! As always I make a few extras of these and will have them up for sale when the build completes. Thanks again for the interest in the EnerGI Maestro!

Craig

#331 6 years ago

If you own a data east or Sega game and have leds in it, this is simply a must have mod. For starters, it completely gets rid of the relay clicking in the backbox. Second, it eliminates seizure inducing led flickering and lastly it smooths out the harshness of the leds. I had one on my Baywach and it was such a huge improvement. I now have a tftc and it sorely needs it so I’m chomping at the bit to get one.

Great work Craig!

#332 6 years ago

Added to the wait list. My TFTC always gets the special treatment and I'm looking forward to this.

Thus far, since owning the game, everything is decked out in LED except my backbox. I found that any LED in there makes the glare unbearable and only incandescent allows it to not be noticeable. Looking forward to finally installing those LEDs to match the rest of the game and be able to tone it down a bit.

Thanks Caker for making these!

#333 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Thus far, since owning the game, everything is decked out in LED except my backbox. I found that any LED in there makes the glare unbearable and only incandescent allows it to not be noticeable.

Have you tried non-glare glass? I installed some fairly bright LED's in the backbox of my Baywatch. The translite looked great, but the reflection off the playfield glass was very distracting, so I switched it out for a sheet of Invisiglass. The new glass made a huge difference! It toned down the reflection and made for a much more enjoyable playing experience.

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Have you tried non-glare glass? I installed some fairly bright LED's in the backbox of my Baywatch. The translite looked great, but the reflection off the playfield glass was very distracting, so I switched it out for a sheet of Invisiglass. The new glass made a huge difference! It toned down the reflection and made for a much more enjoyable playing experience.

I haven't tried the invisiglass, but have certainly thought about it. I wouldn't mind springing for it, but this could be the next best alternative and not drop $250-$300 on the glass. Plus, I get all the cool features and things to play around with, with this board that's half the price or more. Right?

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Added to the wait list. My TFTC always gets the special treatment

Davebart, you just missed the email I sent to the waitlist earlier today asking for confirmation of interest, so I'll just mark you confirmed for 1. These should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks, and I'll send an email when we get close. Thanks again everyone for your interest!

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Davebart, you just missed the email I sent to the waitlist earlier today asking for confirmation of interest, so I'll just mark you confirmed for 1. These should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks, and I'll send an email when we get close. Thanks again everyone for your interest!

Awesome! Thank you for the heads up. I'll be ready to rock when you are.

1 week later
#337 6 years ago

Hello again everyone! The latest batch is complete and ready for shipment. As usual I have put together some extras to keep as inventory on the website. If you want to buy one, head on over to the website, pick "Get It Now" off the top navigation bar, and click the paypal button. Or if you need international shipment, just shoot me an email or pm and I'll get you a shipping quote.

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

Thanks again everybody!

#338 6 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention, if you signed up on the waitlist, you should have received an email from me by now. If you don't find it in your inbox, or your spam folder, feel free to email me or pm, and I can get you set up. I have held back enough kits to cover the waitlist, so you're covered if you act now

Craig

#339 6 years ago

Awesome, thanks! Just ordered one for a project BTTF (or maybe Maverick or Simpsons if I ever LED those).

1 week later
#340 6 years ago

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that all waitlist units have been taken care of, so the remaining inventory is now loaded onto the website for direct purchase, for however long it lasts.

Here's a question I was wondering about: how many of you tweak the programmed timing and levels on your EnerGI Maestro, and how many of you just leave it at factory default settings? I'd love to know, so post and share if you like!

Craig

#341 6 years ago

I leave mine on default.

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Here's a question I was wondering about: how many of you tweak the programmed timing and levels on your EnerGI Maestro, and how many of you just leave it at factory default settings? I'd love to know, so post and share if you like!
Craig

I posted the video before, but I'll reiterate my settings.

I rewired the backbox to feature the title of the game (Lethal Weapon 3) and I have that string on full all the time. I have the rest of the backback lighting down a bit to reduce glare.

I had the playfield up and down fade slowed down but I factory reset the board recently and haven't adjusted the fade settings again. I recently got a PinSound board and on this machine it actually affects the GI blinking. There are 3 selectable songs and the GI used to flash in time with them, but the PinSound board doesn't do that. Apparently its tied to the ROM/orginal soundboard because those still work fine. This was where the LED lack of fade was most noticeable, so without that happening, stock settings seem to be fine.

#343 6 years ago

I played around with the settings for about 5 or 10 minutes until it was were I was comfortable with. I may revisit it though and give it more time.

#344 6 years ago

Received and installed on my DE Torpedo Alley last night. This is an awesome mod and it allowed me to do exactly what I wanted - dim the lighting in the backbox and no more relay clicking or play field blindness. It was installed with an xpin power supply and xpin PPB Board with no issues.

Thanks for making this - highly recommended! Adam

6E7A661D-7029-434F-9BED-B8AF6F084A4E (resized).jpeg6E7A661D-7029-434F-9BED-B8AF6F084A4E (resized).jpeg

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from Ensignmh:

Received and installed on my DE Torpedo Alley last night.

Bounty awarded! Thanks Adam!

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Here's a question I was wondering about: how many of you tweak the programmed timing and levels on your EnerGI Maestro, and how many of you just leave it at factory default settings?
Craig

I tweaked the heck out of the levels, when I put it in the IJ4.

#347 6 years ago

Does this fix ghosting issues? And if I wanna order 2 how can I do that? I can’t find an option to increase the order number. Do I just place 2 orders?

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Does this fix ghosting issues?

The EnerGI Maestro is for the general illumination circuits, not the controlled light matrix. Only the controlled light matrix has ghosting problems, so that's not what this kit is for.

This kit helps eliminate the harshness of the on-off flashing that Data East does with the GI circuit, and allows you to adjust overall brightness. It also eliminates the relay clicking noise, which is something a lot of people are keen on.

If you want to order more than one you can just pm me and I can send you a paypal invoice, or if you order 2 via the website, just add a comment in the purchase or let me know via email and I'll combine shipping and refund you the difference.

1 month later
#349 6 years ago

I just installed one of these in my Data East Star Wars. WOW!!! I had never heard of this mod until a month ago when I stumbled across this thread. So glad I did!!! The game just has a whole different layer of polish...the relay clicking is gone, the harsh strobing effect is gone, the subtle slow rise and fall effect of the backbox are fantastic. This thing will go in every Data East game that comes through my door moving forward, that's for sure! Amazing mod...subtle but VERY impactful. It takes one of the biggest complaints about DE games and totally makes it a moot point.

3 months later
#350 5 years ago

I have just a few more in stock. Who needs one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/7?hl=bigmorty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.