(Topic ID: 111723)

EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother (for Data East)

By caker137

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 538 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pickleric
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy a smoother kit for your Data East Pinball?”

• Definitely! 73 votes
    55%
  • Possibly. 42 votes
    32%
  • Heck yeah, more than one! 18 votes
    14%

(133 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A55FE5F0-DE14-4F82-8568-5C079B40C815 (resized).jpeg
6C9533E8-5477-4486-B2AF-20CB0257191E (resized).jpeg
20221011_200032.jpg
20221011_200004.jpg
70402D73-53BC-4DBB-8734-998330E4E139.jpeg
6E7A661D-7029-434F-9BED-B8AF6F084A4E (resized).jpeg
20161210_132242 (resized).jpg
working_(resized).png
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
2015-05-30 12.07.57.jpg
2015-05-30 12.07.08.jpg
2015-05-30 11.44.52.jpg
2015-05-30 11.28.24.jpg
2015-05-30 11.17.26.jpg
There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
#51 9 years ago

I'll take 1 for my Goldeneye! Definitely interested here

#52 9 years ago

I like the programmable feature. It will be nice to have separate control over the backbox and playfield.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The cost of designing a PCB, having them built, including cables, etc. is not cheap when you're talking hundreds of units. This is not a stock Arduino. It is a custom built product for a niche market. If you choose not to pay the price, that's your decision.

Not to mention covering your time!

herg isn't getting filthy rich off this stuff. It's just my humble opinion though that all the time and effort that he spent on designing this (and yes, making it customizable and the software that comes with that) and building them, and providing all the support and help for people who use them, deserves to be compensated.

We're lucky to have people like herg doing these things. It's obviously for the love. But I for one am happy to pay for his efforts.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Does anyone else think the programmable aspect of this just ads unnecessarily to the cost? Have the same problem with the OCD stuff too. Great product, but at 100+ a board and needing 2 boards per game for something I just want to smooth out the flashing.

Don't underestimate the benefits of custom programming. I've installed several of herg's LED OCD controllers. One of the things I like most about them is that you can use the same LED for every insert, and then individually adjust the brightness levels and ramp rates to your liking. It's amazingly cool!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Don't underestimate the benefits of custom programming. I've installed several of herg's LED OCD controllers. One of the things I like most about them is that you can use the same LED for every insert, and then individually adjust the brightness levels and ramp rates to your liking. It's amazingly cool!

Agreed, I have multiple LED types plus incandescents installed in games with LED OCD, it's very nice to be able to program them all to match perfectly.

#56 9 years ago

I must have missed something. I could have sworn the OCD worked on Sega/Stern machines. Does the Stern version NOT work on Sega machines?

Or are we talking early Sega machines that were still Data East parts?

Thanks, and sorry for stupid questions

#57 9 years ago

Stern LED OCD works on Stern SAM, Stern Whitestar, and Sega Whitestar, but it only affect the lamp matrix, not GI.

Data East LED OCD works on Data East and early Sega, but again, it is only for the lamp matrix.

Caker's board will work on Data East and early Sega GI from what I understand.

Finally, the GIzmo that I'm working on is for GI in Stern SAM, Stern Whitestar, and should work on Sega Whitestar.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I'll take 1 for my Goldeneye! Definitely interested here

I know I brought up the title as an example of the issue, but isn't GoldenEye a Whitestar game? If so, looks like we're still waiting for the solution for that platform.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

I know I brought up the title as an example of the issue, but isn't GoldenEye a Whitestar game? If so, looks like we're still waiting for the solution for that platform.

I'm going to have to rely on you guys to test in these different games, but a look at the GoldenEye schematic, it looks like the control signal does not come out to a connector; therefore my board would not work on GoldenEye.

The board was designed with the DE DMD era in mind. If it has a 9 pin cn8 and a 3 or 5 pin cn7 and a 4pin pigtail in-line power connector, it should work. This *might include early Sega and some alpha numeric DE. If any owners of these games want to chime in feel free. Some games could possibly be made to work with a different wiring harness, I don't know. I can start taking a look at schematics to see.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Some games could possibly be made to work with a different wiring harness, I don't know.

Other than the control signal and power connectors, I think your design would work all the way up through SAM. A determined installer could grab the control signal, but it doesn't come out to a connector on Whitestar or SAM. The CN8 connector appears to be the same pinout as the WS/SAM.

My GIzmo will probably work for all of them, but will not have nearly the features of your smoother. Does it have a name yet?

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Does it have a name yet?

It needs a good name doesn't it! I'll have to ponder that.

#62 9 years ago

So all my Sega Showcase games with crazy LED GI lighting have no solution currently? Well crap!

#63 9 years ago

"the data east flash eliminator".

#64 9 years ago

DEunflashifier ??

#65 9 years ago

DEFlicker board (Data East Flicker board).

#66 9 years ago

I vote the "DE GISMO" (Data East GI SMOother).

#67 9 years ago

DANG that's catchy!

#68 9 years ago

This board should work for system 11 and 11a (and I think the first 3 system 11B) Williams games as is.

It can work with system 7 and 9 with a different connector for the AC input.

From system 11B to 11C, they moved the GI connector to the interconnect board and there are usually multiple remote relays to control the Playfield and Backbox GI. Theoretically you could just remove the coil drives from these remote GI relays and then run an extension cable to get the relay signal from one of these relays to the custom board.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

The cheap way to "fix" the gi flashing problem is just to remove the 2 pin connector from the right side of the power supply board. that's the connectors which energizes the GI relay. with it removed, the GI will always be "on" and won't flash. kind of anti-dramatic, but it does work.

Are you talking about the LAH power supply board? I can't don't see a 2 pin connector on the right side. There's a 6 pin connector (2 rows of 3) with only 2 wired contacts being used. It's the 3rd connector down from top on right.

IMGA0552.JPGIMGA0552.JPG

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Are you talking about the LAH power supply board? I can't don't see a 2 pin connector on the right side. There's a 6 pin connector (2 rows of 3) with only 2 wired contacts being used. It's the 3rd connector down from top on right.

Nope. In your case it's the five pin connector above that one. To the right of the fuses and two diodes.

#71 9 years ago

OK thanks much. I'll give it a try after supper.

#72 9 years ago

I would like one of these for my Star trek 25th ann. PM sent

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Nope. In your case it's the five pin connector above that one. To the right of the fuses and two diodes.

Yup that did it. Thanks Tekman.

#74 9 years ago

We need the flash, just need to tame it down. We need this board!

#75 9 years ago

I will order one for Jurassic Park

#76 9 years ago

Just a quick update:

It seems that there is plenty of interest in this project so that I can do a run of boards. Step one is to get the boards tested in a handful of machines to make sure there aren't some issues hiding in the design. That has been started. Thanks for all the offers to test; at this point I've gotten many more offers than I have prototype boards, so I'm good in that department. Coincident with testing I'm going to study some schematics to produce a list of definite, probable, and possible compatible games. I'll post that to this thread once it is compiled. When testing wraps up, I will determine how many boards to make and place the order. Then there will be a bit of a wait for everything to arrive and get assembled and tested. Once I get stocked up, you guys can order! Hang in there if it seems like this takes a while; I'll keep this thread updated as progress is made.

1 week later
#77 9 years ago

After a review of some schematics, and some testing, I am proud to present the compatible game list:
See original post #1 in this thread for Game Compatibility List

#78 9 years ago

The EnerGI Maestro Kit is now available for Pre-Order! The price will be $115 plus shipping. Expected shipping begins in February 2015. If you would like to pre-order, please browse over to this link and submit your info to be added to the list. If you have already PM'd please use the link to make sure you are included on the list:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v9XU6DEoo5d2gyJXsGQ7y_68gRt6k-NtUBoKPPjzYlo/viewform

There is no money due now, and if you need to change your mind later, that's okay; I just need to get an idea of quantity to order for the first batch.

***BONUS***
A bounty of $10 will be awarded to each customer that posts a pic to this thread showing the board installed in a previously untested machine.
A bounty of $20 will be awarded to each customer that posts detailed instructions how to tweak connectors, wiring, etc to make the board work on a system that it was not designed to work on
***Limit one bounty per board purchased***

#79 9 years ago

Great to see you decided to sell these. Also like the name.

#80 9 years ago

+1 on that..great product name. Looking foward to playing some DE's with less seizure lights.

#81 9 years ago

I personally think Sega games suffer from this issue more than Data East games. Based on what I have seen they have a little more playfield space, and more GI on both the playfield and backbox. When you light multiball on Frankenseizure the synchronized flashing that plays along with the music is extremely disorienting.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Great to see you decided to sell these

I am excited there is interest! I am happy to put this into the hands of collectors that like myself love to tinker, mod, and improve these great games from decades past.

Quoted from Crash:

... like the name.

Quoted from Frax:

+1 on that..great product name.

Thanks! I spent the better part of a morning coming up with a list of names, only to mark out 75% of them that were already used. In the end I was very happy with EnerGI Maestro.

I wanted to throw out a big public thank you for my beta testers Crash and Todd F. They have given me the confidence that the board will work without issue in a large list of games. Here are some minor issues that testing turned up:

1. The board is designed with LEDs in mind, but you can run some incandescent bulbs. Just don't run more than 50% incandescent or the board might get a bit too warm (conservative estimate).
2. Any incandescent bulbs left installed will light slightly dimmer than before.
3. The 455 incandescent blinker bulbs used in some back boxes (JP, TFTC, BTTF, any others?) can cause the other LEDs in that GI string to flicker a bit when they flash; it always did this a little, but is a bit more pronounced now. If the flicker is noticeable with the back glass installed, I recommend you go with non-blinking LEDs there.
4. 455 blinker LEDs do not light up unless they receive full power. This means that with the board installed they basically do not work. I only tested with cointakers 455's; perhaps another brand might work?

If any of these are deal-breakers for you guys let me know and I can test deeper if need be. It all seems pretty minor.

Pre-Orders are rolling in! Keep them coming

#83 9 years ago

Looking for an international tester: If you have a pin on the compatible list that has all LEDs installed in the GI and your country has 50Hz power, I could use your help. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in helping. Thanks!

#84 9 years ago

Can I keep incandescent flashers? I use LEDs for all inserts and GI but always use regular flashers?

I am interested in this for my baywatch in case it matters.

Just saw this thread. What is status on ordering?

#85 9 years ago

Cool product...

Ordered three kits via the link you provided.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I keep incandescent flashers? I use LEDs for all inserts and GI but always use regular flashers?
I am interested in this for my Baywatch in case it matters.
Just saw this thread. What is status on ordering?

You can definitely keep incandescent flashers (I too prefer this in some cases)! This board doesn't do anything to those since they are not on the GI circuit.

Take a look up six posts or so in this thread for my post about ordering; it should answer many of your questions, and includes the link to pre-order if you are interested.

BTW - the board works great in Baywatch. That was one of the initial test machines.

#87 9 years ago

I preordered for my Baywatch and can't wait to try this on it.

#88 9 years ago

signed up via your google sheet!

looking forward to this along with the DMD extender in Baywatch!

#89 9 years ago

Bump for pre-orders. I plan on placing my orders just after Jan 1, so if you want to ensure you'll have a board from this run, please go head over to my pre-order link so I include you in my count.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v9XU6DEoo5d2gyJXsGQ7y_68gRt6k-NtUBoKPPjzYlo/viewform
I will send an email to everyone on the list before I place the order, and I will post a last call to this thread, so you can make sure you were counted.

#90 9 years ago

Signed up, going into a GNR. Thanks!

#91 9 years ago

LAST CALL! This is your last chance to get in on the initial run of the EnerGI Maestro. I will be placing orders very soon, so go ahead and visit the pre-order link if you want to be included.

If you have already pre-ordered, check your email (don't forget the spam folder)! Everyone that I have on the list was emailed just now, and if you did not get an email, please PM me and I can add you or double-check for your info.

#92 9 years ago

got my email. Just giving positive confirmation so you know

#93 9 years ago

I just submitted one for Baywatch to begin with, the flashing is a killer on that game. I may want to get a second for LAH somewhere down the road too.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I just submitted one for Baywatch to begin with, the flashing is a killer on that game. I may want to get a second for LAH somewhere down the road too.

I see you on the list now; consider you kit reserved. Thanks!

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

I see you on the list now; consider you kit reserved. Thanks!

Thank you

#96 9 years ago

Project Update: parts have been ordered for the pre-ordered units. After I have everything in hand, I will begin assembly and testing. Estimated shipping is still scheduled for February; I will update this thread when I have a solid ship date.

The pre-order link has been converted to a waiting list. If extra kits are available after all the pre-orders are shipped, I will email the folks on the waiting list in order of sign up to offer up the spares. After all kits are shipped out, the names remaining on the waiting list will be slated first for the next batch, and when I have enough on the list to make a new run, I will email and post here.

1 week later
#97 9 years ago

Project update: parts are in! PCBs are on order. I've spent a few nights making cables. Should have all the cables done by the time the boards show up, and then I can focus on building up the boards. Still looking like these will ship sometime in February.

I put together a simple website for the EnerGI Maestro that illustrates the features and installation. Take a look:

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

2 weeks later
#98 9 years ago

IT'S TIME! Kits are all assembled and tested and ready for shipment! If you were on the pre-order list, you should have received a paypal invoice in your email just now. If you did not receive your invoice, please check your spam folders, and if you still don't see it just pm me or email me and i can resend it. Once payment is received I will prepare your box to ship. I am really excited to get these out to everyone and hope you all enjoy the work I put into the project! Thanks again!

#99 9 years ago

Paid - thank you

#100 9 years ago

Payment sent

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton Twp, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.