Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dsuperbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spotlights_004.jpg
    DSCN1286.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Tell me, am I the only one who gets frustrated when installing 555 replacement leds just to have to keep taking them in and out of their sockets and bending the contact wire until it finally works or breaks.

#2 11 years ago

I have found that bending them till they are in line with the edge of the side, they will work, every time.

#3 11 years ago

Now I'm trying to put in one of those 44s that wont turn because it's made in China.

#4 11 years ago

Hot glue my friend, hot glue. All led's are from china aren't they? The good ones are made by the 8-10 year old group.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Tell me, am I the only one who gets frustrated when installing 555 replacement leds just to have to keep taking them in and out of their sockets and bending the contact wire until it finally works or breaks.

Yup, drives me crazy. Maybe I was doing it all wrong but I lost interest in them a long time ago. I think I put a total of two LEDs in my recently acquired IronMan.

Chris

#6 11 years ago

In the end it was worth it, and I only broke a few. New life into and old machine.

DSCN1286.JPGDSCN1286.JPG

#7 11 years ago

Had huge problems with this on my x-men bulbs literally would not stay in place.

Glad to hear you got it working.

8-10 year old group LMFAO that was good for a laugh.

#8 11 years ago

A little super glue or hot glue where the base connects with the pcb or plastic and you wont break any more 44/47 led's. Cireone is dead on with the #555 style if they are the ceaper leds you may also have to spin 180 degree's to get them to work (polarized). Glade I gave you a laugh shoot_again my wife and I were dying when i wrote it.

#9 11 years ago

use shrink tubing. Looks much more clean than any glue.

#10 11 years ago

Also on 44/47's that don't lock in? File the bottom solder blob a bit. )

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

use shrink tubing. Looks much more clean than any glue.

thats a great idea, i'm gonna have to try that.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

#13 11 years ago

thats a great idea, i'm gonna have to try that.

Looks very clean on the Stern spots and gets rid of those cheesy looking reflectors that block the view of the shots.
    1/2" is the size.

Spotlights_004.jpgSpotlights_004.jpg

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Even the old style bulbs have a few that need this.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ha agreed...that is annoying.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Or having your Leds in the spotlights come flying out during gameplay.

#17 11 years ago

I never thought of eliminating those reflectors. They really are not needed with the flat tops of the LEDs.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do with all these LED's I have that ghost. I have no BWMs games left anymore to use them up in since I had to upgrade to no ghosting ones.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I never thought of eliminating those reflectors. They really are not needed with the flat tops of the LEDs.
    I'm just trying to figure out what to do with all these LED's I have that ghost. I have no BWMs games left anymore to use them up in since I had to upgrade to no ghosting ones.

I have a whole ziplock full of those reflectors, the shrink tube looks clean and the spots don't fall out.

Don't know what to do with the ones that ghost a have a bunch of those also.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I have a whole ziplock full of those reflectors, the shrink tube looks clean and the spots don't fall out.

Bring the reflectors to PAGG! Even though they are no longer needed with LEDs, I like the way they look when used properly

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Looks very clean on the Stern spots and gets rid of those cheesy looking reflectors that block the view of the shots.

Have any of you guys tried that with white shrink tubing? It's usually a white light coming out of it, might as well make the holder white too.

Not sure how easy it would be to find white in that size. Last time I was in Frys, they had two smaller sizes of white, so I know they make it. You could probably google some up pretty quick.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Bring the reflectors to PAGG! Even though they are no longer needed with LEDs, I like the way they look when used properly

I can do that.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Had huge problems with this on my x-men bulbs literally would not stay in place.
    Glad to hear you got it working.
    8-10 year old group LMFAO that was good for a laugh.

Doesn't help that Stern went cheap and put #555 instead of #44 in the sling shots. That was one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen just to save about $1 or $2 per machine.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Doesn't help that Stern went cheap and put #555 instead of #44 in the sling shots. That was one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen just to save about $1 or $2 per machine.

That's crazy. Do you just switch base's back to #44 like the probably should be.

#24 11 years ago

Hot Glue. Never used it. How does one go about getting LED out if it needs replacement.

Quoted from Rock914:

Hot glue my friend, hot glue.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Bally did this also, I know CV uses the #555 sockets under the slings.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Hot Glue. Never used it. How does one go about getting LED out if it needs replacement.

I was talking about the cheap #44 leds that you cant turn because the base is not connected to the led very well. if you use hot glue or super glue you can turn it without breaking the connections.

#27 11 years ago

Eric, bring them up and sell them at the PAGG flea market.

Quoted from tracelifter:

#28 11 years ago

You can get the right size of shrink tubing in white at Al Lashers in Berkeley. (until they sell out)

Quoted from phishrace:

Have any of you guys tried that with white shrink tubing? It's usually a white light coming out of it, might as well make the holder white too.
    Not sure how easy it would be to find white in that size. Last time I was in Frys, they had two smaller sizes of white, so I know they make it. You could probably google some up pretty quick.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I was talking about the cheap #44 leds that you cant turn because the base is not connected to the led very well. if you use hot glue or super glue you can turn it without breaking the connections

I have had that happen a lot .SS back box was a pin in the butt. Good Idea! Thanks.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Hot glue my friend, hot glue. All led's are from china aren't they? The good ones are made by the 8-10 year old group.

Ha now that's funny shit and likly true ... I believe some are made in Germany?

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dawson:

Ha now that's funny shit and likly true ... I believe some are made in Germany?

Sorry Germans make beer and they need to continue to do that. Led's would be a waste of their talents. The quality would improve though.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

FYI....the white tends to gather the dirt quickly and not clean off too easily. I went with the black because it is the same color as the holder.

Eric:
    Bring the reflectors, I will buy em off of ya!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

FYI....the white tends to gather the dirt quickly and not clean off too easily. I went with the black because it is the same color as the holder.
    Eric:
    Bring the reflectors, I will buy em off of ya!

I like the flat black because they fade into the background, with the lights off you don't even see them.
    The Ultras are heavy and always want to fall out, this is the cleanest way to install them since it hides the color on the bases and they don't move or flicker.
    This stuff is available in all colors if you want to go that route.

I will bring the reflectors, meet me at the big roll up door and bring non sequentially numbered dimes.
    No cops.

#34 11 years ago

Better pick a different door, I hear "the man" now has surveillance cameras set up.

Quoted from tracelifter:

I will bring the reflectors, meet me at the big roll up door and bring non sequentially numbered dimes. No cops.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I like the flat black because they fade into the background, with the lights off you don't even see them.
    The Ultras are heavy and always want to fall out, this is the cleanest way to install them since it hides the color on the bases and they don't move or flicker.
    This stuff is available in all colors if you want to go that route.
    I will bring the reflectors, meet me at the big roll up door and bring non sequentially numbered dimes.
    No cops.

I will bring nickels, just to throw off the fuzz

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-frustration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.