F76D13EF-92BA-4AEE-AE3E-F5D0CA8B417C (resized).jpeg
1A66A953-DF67-480E-ACFE-9C74730795D7 (resized).jpeg
DA8CAC44-EF8F-4403-BB2B-4A91DDD63A17 (resized).jpeg
1F900A3B-E6F3-4320-B3BC-7A2C9860528B (resized).jpeg
58219F6D-D26D-4AB4-92C5-9ADFA78E6ACC (resized).jpeg
met (resized).jpg
6F5547C4-23AD-4B7C-ACE4-67C8804E75FA (resized).jpeg
D8615271-577F-46E7-ACFE-2AA31823BB5C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 1 year ago

Hopefully someone can help me out, I rewired a Transformers to power a 2-ended LED tube, Neutral on the left side, Live on the right side. I bypassed (and removed) a non-working ballast and removed the starter. But now, the LED tube doesn't seem to light up when I turn it on. Sometimes it turns on and seems to stay on, but when I turn the machine off and then right back on, it will go out and stay out. I get no flickering or anything, I've tried fiddling with the connections but they seem solid and Im getting consistent AC voltage between the tombstones. I get no flickering or anything, I've tried fiddling with the connections but they seem solid and Im getting consistent AC voltage between the tombstones.

Has anyone run into an issue like this? I have confirmed that the LED tube will light consistently when connected straight to 120V. So Im not sure if there might be an issue with my machine, but the circuit seems pretty straight forward.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Many of the economy LED tubes do not like to be turned off and quickly back on. I have a ton (15) of lower cost 4-foot LED tubes in my garage ceiling and they all exhibit that flaky power cycle behavior. I usually wait 30 seconds before I turn them back on in the garage. That said, I have a Stern SAM machine and swapped the tube with a higher priced GE replacement LED tube ($20 from Lowes) and it seems to be much more resilient to power cycles. And as an extra benfit, it required no rewiring of the backbox, just swapped right back where the original flourescent tube was.

I need to replace the ballast so I was trying to avoid that by going with a direct-wired LED tube instead. The thing is, it's not just when I quickly power cycle it. If I let it sit, it still doesn't necessarily turn on. I feel something is preventing the internal components from triggering the tube to turn on. I dont know if maybe the LED tube is simply not drawing enough current to make current flow or what.

#47 1 year ago

I tried a new tube, same thing. Made sure the wires are properly seated in the holder. Tested voltage at the 1f/m4 connector, the connector in the backbox, and on the holder itself, all are at 130V which is well within the voltage of the LED tube.

I left the machine on with the tube currently working, I'm gonna see if it's still on after an hour.

I feel like if I turn the machine off, remove the tube and then put it back in, it works. But I'm gonna test that later and see if its repeatable. Basically, it seems like something with the LED tube is not interacting well with the transformer when its turned off.

#49 1 year ago

Ok. I came home after an hour and the bulb was still lit. But I decided to test the 30 second wait before restarting and it seems like that's the issue. In my case, it seems like 1 minute is what it takes, but I was able to get it to light if waiting that long 3 times in a row.

Thanks Markharris2000 for your insight, I don't think I could have come up with that on my own. In most cases, I don't see the minute delay being much of an issue but I may try and order a "better" tube online or something. But, for now, the backglass IS lit! So I'm calling it a success.

Honestly, in the future, on a different machine, I might just consider running 12V to some LED strips placed in the backbox or something instead. Although this actually looks pretty cool too: https://www.arcadeupkeep.com/shop/dimming-backbox-panel/. Though I think, for me at least, the shipping is about the same as the product.

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

That is my go-to backbox solution for my stern games. Love it.

the LED strip route? Where do you tie into for power?

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The arcade upkeep dimming backpanel. It uses led strips and has a controller so you can set the brightness how you want during attract mode and during gameplay. It uses the power connector at the front of the cabinet.

ahh yes. it does look like a good kit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-flourescent-replacement-for-stern-backbox?tu=shaub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.