Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have run into an issue with my restoration of Data East Laser War. I installed LED flashers throughout the game. The flashers in the backbox and under the pf seem to work fine. The problem is with the 10 flashers above the pf they stay lit all the time. There are 3 behind the back wall, 2 on the ramp, 2 inside the ion cannon, 1 next too the ramp and 2 mid pf 1 on the left side and 1 on the right on top of the plastics. These lights all stay lit for some reason. I've read something about worming resisters, if that's the issue can someone point me to the exact spots I need to desolder and what wires!?

If that's not the issue with the lights staying lit anyone have any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

I have couple of questions:

Do the flashers and coils work perfectly with incandescent flasher bulbs?

What make/model LED flashers are you using?... Are they 13VDC rated?

On a curious note: the red, yellow and blue mars flasher pairs each have a 600 ohm warming resistor. The other 5 pairs of flashers which are multiplexed with regular coils do not, just a 5 ohm current limiting resistor. I'm not sure why that is, and of course schematics could be wrong (gee, that never happens!) Each are parallel wired sockets. Make certain that you always replace them in pairs and and do not mix with incandescent lamps or you will get undesirable results.

That said, according to the Laser War club on Pinside it has been noted that someone has replaced the flashers with LEDs successfully, in the first post.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-club

#3 6 years ago

I don't have any incandescent bulbs to test it. But all the flashers are lit on top of the pf. The only ones that aren't lit are the two in the ion cannon. But in test mode flash as they should.

I'm using flashers from cointaker the 89 super 5's.
Link is here:
https://cointaker.com/products/copy-of-1-89-flat-8-copy-of-89-flat-8

With your last note I read that too witch is why I was surprised they are lit after installing the led's.

#4 6 years ago

Sounds similar to F14 issue. I could only use 1 LED flasher otherwise they would just stay lit.

There is a remedy for that machine, maybe it applies to yours as well?

That's all I got, good luck!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Sounds similar to F14 issue. I could only use 1 LED flasher otherwise they would just stay lit.
There is a remedy for that machine, maybe it applies to yours as well?
That's all I got, good luck!

The remedy for F14 is to remove the warming resistors, unfortunately the DE Laser War schematic only shows a few of the flashers as having warming resistors, most of them do not...I'm not sure why. From the Laser War club thread, it seems that someone has used these without modification - perhaps try to send them a PM.

I would really want to confirm the LEDs are the problem. A local auto parts store should have some 89s.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-flashers-stay-lit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.