(Topic ID: 130923)

led flashers in whirlwind?

By bigd1979

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok so just got done my ww and its my first non wpc pin. I led the whole thing including the flashers and everything works with a little ghosting but not that bad however when I activate the flippers during a game the flashers flash and if I hold them in most of the flashers stay illuminated? Im assuming this isn't supposed to be doing this and im betting it goes away with regular incandescent flashers? So am I missing something or can I do something to stop it? Or is this normal for system 11 pins with led flashers?thax for any advice or help

#2 8 years ago

This wont help you but I had a DE Star Wars with full leds and flashers...The strobing effect was so blinding I swear it would cause a seizure. I think reg bulbs would solve problem and keep your guests eye sight in tact.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

This wont help you but I had a DE Star Wars with full leds and flashers...The strobing effect was so blinding I swear it would cause a seizure. I think reg bulbs would solve problem and keep your guests eye sight in tact.

Yeah Mike, if you think that's bad, it is nothing compared to Baywatch. I learned my lesson

#4 8 years ago

I have them in the light bar on the back of the playfield and they work ok and that's the only spot I used them. If you are using the flat ones the light projection is a strait line no side throw .I think they look worse than incandesents for dome covered flashers

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok so just got done my ww and its my first non wpc pin. I led the whole thing including the flashers and everything works with a little ghosting but not that bad however when I activate the flippers during a game the flashers flash and if I hold them in most of the flashers stay illuminated? Im assuming this isn't supposed to be doing this and im betting it goes away with regular incandescent flashers? So am I missing something or can I do something to stop it? Or is this normal for system 11 pins with led flashers?thax for any advice or help

Here is what I've gleaned from some other threads and confirmed with some very circuit wise guys that this will work. I personally never tried it and I'm selling the machine soon, but I'm confident it will work.

Cut off diode, d3,d4,d6, and d7 (just under the big tip36 transistors). Then add diodes to the solenoids 3a, 4a, 6a and 7a, White band on diode to power side on coils, usually yellow with purple stripe.

#7 8 years ago

I just had a similar issue on my IJ. It turned out that one of the leads on a flasher socket was in contact with the lead on a general illumination socket and it was powering all of the flashers down the line. So maybe when you installed the LEDs, you shifted a flasher into contact with something it shouldn't. Your issue seems a little different, though. I'm not sure how the flippers would turn the flashers on.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Here is what I've gleaned from some other threads and confirmed with some very circuit wise guys that this will work. I personally never tried it and I'm selling the machine soon, but I'm confident it will work.
Cut off diode, d3,d4,d6, and d7 (just under the big tip36 transistors). Then add diodes to the solenoids 3a, 4a, 6a and 7a, White band on diode to power side on coils, usually yellow with purple stripe.

What Matt said, had same issue with my Whirlwind.

#9 8 years ago

Ok so seems like you just cant put them in the ramp . Once I replaced them 4 it basically fixed the issue.

#10 8 years ago

Not true, but if you're happy that's all that matters.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-flashers-in-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.