Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jsrfo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161221_192557 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Has anyone managed to repair one of the LED light boards in a WOZ? I see they use A6281 as a driver but this chip is proving to be very difficult to obtain. I am wondering if anyone knows of a direct replacement for this driver.

#4 7 years ago

That might be a better option than what I found. I found a place that will sell me 10 at $2 a piece but they quoted $30 in shipping. Thanks guys.

3 months later
    #6 7 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

My question is if it's just one led on smd on the board (in my instance the red doesn't work but green and blue do and there are no other issues) is the driver an issue is there there an smd available that can go in? I know these ws2811 have built in controllers but if it's just the smd that's bad and not the rest of the set up.
    More than anything we'll eventually need to have these be serviceable and I'd love to be on the edge of that so I don't have to pay $70 every time my rainbow letters act up

My guess is yes, it is the controller that is bad. I have another board starting to go. This would be my fourth in 2.5 years. I like the game but my fear is that I won't be able to keep the game because I can't afford to light it

That in itself is a hilarious thing to say, something I would never had expected in a pinball machine.

#13 7 years ago

My first attempt to pull the bad chip and reset it was a failure. My current plan is to buy the replacement board I need and attempt to repair the bad one again. I used a heat gun but I need something with smaller tip so I am not heating such a large area. I think I might have put down too much solder also before I tried setting the chip. It seems like once you get the hang of it, surface mount might not be all that bad to repair. I need some serious spectacles though, it's tough to see some of these chips. That A6281 has like four pads on each side, 3mm package....yikes..

#21 7 years ago

Thank you everyone. That was one of the more informative videos I have watched so far. Hopefully I can get it down someday. I need a respectable rework station and to just start trying and trying. I saved a few boards from stuff at work that has surface mount components to practice on. I wish I knew a couple years ago that I would be attempting to work on surface mount, I bought a nice Hakko soldering iron, I would have bought a combination setup.

#23 7 years ago

That is probably a bit more than I need right now. Pretty neat though..

1 week later
    #29 7 years ago

Pulling it was a piece of cake, getting back down is another story

#34 7 years ago

I had a pretty high confidence level right up to the point where it didn't work
    Joking aside, I think I can probably pull it off but I need the right tools and a bit of practice. After the holidays I am going to try and round up some tools, see if I can pick up these chips and give it another go.

#36 7 years ago

i looked at a few less expensive hot air work stations. Are they any good? I know nothing about them. Unfortunately I am not in a position to spend a lot of money on one right now.

1 week later
    #40 7 years ago

Thanks for the update, I am glad you were able to fix it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-driver-replacment?tu=pinstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.