6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I am attempting to do some modding. Am I safe to assume that if I have a stable 5v dc supply that I will not need any limiting resistors if I use the latest pinball 6.3v ac leds that have built in curcuitry? I tested a few and was expecting to see around 20 ma but most of them are pulling 50-60 from the 5v. Can I assume that these are really several leds wired in parallel within the package? I measured one of the 5led bulbs and it was pulling close to 300ma. I have read as many of the old threads that I could find, but found no recent discussions about current bulbs and their current pull. Any chance of anyone giving an updated general discussion on the newer led bulbs and what should be the optimum current draw for different types? Are there any spec sheets available on the popular types such as Cointaker, etc.? Is it possible that while the optimum current might be 10-20ma that it can stand 50-60ma for a reasonable period of time but simply burns out quicker than it would if it was operated at 20ma? I need any advice I can get.

#2 6 years ago

Unfortunately there are a myriad of types of led construction differences between leds from different manufacturers as well as differences in the led styles provided by each manufacturer. For example, Comet warm white may be different that Cointaker warm white, which also may be different than Cointaker premium warm white.

My advice is to contact the manufacturer of the LEDs in question and see if they can provide you with the spec info you desire.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-current-draw-for-modding and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.