Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bohm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Found a Getaway: HS II. It needs LEDs shopped. I’ve never done a LED conversion. What are the best? Comet? If I but the whole kit, does it come with diagram where each bulb go? Any othe advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the novice questions…

#2 1 year ago

I did a kit once on a similar game, kind of a pain, colors seemed forced. I prefer straight out non colored lamps, warm white suits me personally. Comet is where I go for info and ordering.

#3 1 year ago

Plenty of threads on this but kits always suck.

Go frosted warm white from Comet. Youll probably need 555 & 47 bases.
Toubdknt need a list of where everything goes, buy a bunch, see a bulb, change a bulb.

Its as easy as changing a ....

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Plenty of threads on this but kits always suck.
Go frosted warm white from Comet. Youll probably need 555 & 47 bases.
Toubdknt need a list of where everything goes, buy a bunch, see a bulb, change a bulb.
Its as easy as changing a ....

That’s just it…I was looking at the options and was totally confused!!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

I did a kit once on a similar game, kind of a pain, colors seemed forced. I prefer straight out non colored lamps, warm white suits me personally. Comet is where I go for info and ordering.

So the kits are color matched for what’s in the game now?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Yes but the look is a bit over the top sometimes, they match the insert colors. But, in my opinion, sometimes it works other times it doesn't.
The only positive example I can give is something like Pinbot play field matrix. The bold colors seemed to work.
Other parts of the game just needed:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Go frosted warm white from Comet.

#7 1 year ago

I bought a kit for a machine a while back and it did come with a diagram. I did however wind up changing out some of the bulbs for different colors. After that kit experience I now buy a variety of clear/frosted white and colored bulbs to keep in stock (they're pretty inexpensive). I think you'll find some here prefer incandescent, some prefer led, some prefer all clear, some prefer frosted white and some prefer colors. Changing bulbs is an easy instant gratification project that is fun to do. Look at your playfield and write down what color you think you might like and place an order. You will likely place another order after installing your first batch and getting a feel for them.

#8 1 year ago

You basically want to shop for 1smd or 2smd bulbs. I like to use 1smd for inserts and 2smd for gi. Stern uses 2smd bulbs for everything for reference. For gi, use frosted lens and clear for inserts. For simplicity, you can just use 2smd frosted everywhere.

Bulbs have two sockets - wedge and bayonet. Gi is typically bayonet. Inserts typically wedge but not always.

For gi, you can choose cool white, warm white, and sunlight. Warm white is closest to incandescent bulbs and sunlight is halfway between warm and cool. Easiest thing is to just get warm white for everything - gi and inserts. I like to color match inserts except for yellows, oranges, and clears. For those, warm white is best.

It's easy to see where bulbs go. Just look at the inserts on the pf. Each one has a bulb. Same for backbox - just count the bulbs. Gi is a little more tricky. I find it easier to just lift the pf and try to count the bulbs there. You can then also identify any inserts that do not use wedge based bulbs. If you count and inventory what to buy, include a few extra for ones you missed. If that's too much trouble, you can just buy a bunch of warm white frosted bulbs in both socket types.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You basically want to shop for 1smd or 2smd bulbs. I like to use 1smd for inserts and 2smd for gi. Stern uses 2smd bulbs for everything for reference. For gi, use frosted lens and clear for inserts. For simplicity, you can just use 2smd frosted everywhere.
Bulbs have two sockets - wedge and bayonet. Gi is typically bayonet. Inserts typically wedge but not always.
For gi, you can choose cool white, warm white, and sunlight. Warm white is closest to incandescent bulbs and sunlight is halfway between warm and cool. Easiest thing is to just get warm white for everything - gi and inserts. I like to color match inserts except for yellows, oranges, and clears. For those, warm white is best.
It's easy to see where bulbs go. Just look at the inserts on the pf. Each one has a bulb. Same for backbox - just count the bulbs. Gi is a little more tricky. I find it easier to just lift the pf and try to count the bulbs there. You can then also identify any inserts that do not use wedge based bulbs. If you count and inventory what to buy, include a few extra for ones you missed. If that's too much trouble, you can just buy a bunch of warm white frosted bulbs in both socket types.

Thanks for all of the great advice!! My question is what do the “kits” entail? Different colors that are not needed? I see the majority are saying just go all white…I guess the insert colors with the white bulbs suffice

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Thanks for all of the great advice!! My question is what do the “kits” entail? Different colors that are not needed? I see the majority are saying just go all white…I guess the insert colors with the white bulbs suffice

Its all aboot how much time you have.

Here's 100% the truth. Matching every single color inset with that color, and then going thru all the trick colors that some colored inserts need, looks really neat.
If you saved all that time and just put in warm white in every single insert it would look 99% as well.

The kits are a collection of colors picked by someone else; so it's an unknown. Some kits include colored GI which is stupid.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ite all aboot how luch time you have.
Here's 100% the truth. Matching every single color inset with that color, and then going thru all the trick colors that some colored inserts need, looka really neat.
If you saved all that time and just put in warm white in every single insert it would look 99% as well.
The kits are a collection of colors picked by someone else; so it's an unknown. Some kits include colored GI which is stupid.

Gotcha…so warm white GI and backglass and either warm white or colored for inserts…BTW..this is HUO so I have some time to tinker with it.

Thanks for all the help!!!

#14 1 year ago

If you just buy them individually from comet, you will save money over buying a kit and then can afford to buy plenty of extras in case you missed one.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I recently bought 2 kits from Marco, one for Embryon and one for Space Invaders. When I started Embryon, I discovered most of the bulbs were Cool White, which I generally dislike overall, but figured Embryon had a blue theme, so I decided to keep it. I did not feel this was acceptable for Space Invaders though, so I called Marco and did an RMA to send them back.

This is a prime example of why I'll never buy a kit again. As you said, it's based on what someone else thinks would look good and I felt for $130 it should be exactly what I want it to be.

#16 1 year ago

One thing you can do is buy different bulbs for testing to see what you prefer. That's how I got started. Comet has all kinds of different bulbs as well. I like the flex head bulbs for inserts where bulbs are not aimed at the insert very well. Flex heads also make good spotlights. The matrix stuff makes it easy to add lighting without any soldering.

#17 1 year ago

When you finally get a list together of the bulbs you want to get do yourself a favor and pick up a few 25 packs of 2smd whites in the different tones (Warm, Cool, & Sunlight), and experiment. 25 bulbs is generally just enough to do a playfield's GI.

Lately I've been liking the sunlight for the GI on some of my Sys11 pins. I took out all of the cool whites that came in our Godzilla, and swapped in sunlight bulbs, and couldn't be happier. Yet on our Data East Star Wars I think cool white looks the best.

Try them out, and see what you like.

Just say no to pre-made kits. They're awful.

-Paul

#18 1 year ago

I have used kits in the past but there are things I usually do not like so I end up installing the kit and making another order to change what I didn't like in the kit. I use Comet. The tech I use likes Cointaker. I think if you are starting out then buy a kit from Comet and learn. After that you will have some confidence and know what you like and don't like and can branch out from there. Do they tell you where the lights go? Yes Comet does. It is either written on the bag or sometimes there is instructions as to where they go. As mentioned above Comet color matches the bulbs for the inserts in their kits. They have white GI. Some tend to feel color matching is too much on the eye. I think that is all personal preference and game dependent. On an older game I would tend to tone it down. Newer Sterns you can go for it. Have fun!

1 week later
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

When you finally get a list together of the bulbs you want to get do yourself a favor and pick up a few 25 packs of 2smd whites in the different tones (Warm, Cool, & Sunlight), and experiment. 25 bulbs is generally just enough to do a playfield's GI.
Lately I've been liking the sunlight for the GI on some of my Sys11 pins. I took out all of the cool whites that came in our Godzilla, and swapped in sunlight bulbs, and couldn't be happier. Yet on our Data East Star Wars I think cool white looks the best.
Try them out, and see what you like.
Just say no to pre-made kits. They're awful.
-Paul

Do y’all still do warm white frosted or warm whit clear for the inserts?

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Don’t get a kit.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Do y’all still do warm white frosted or warm whit clear for the inserts?

Frosted everywhere

#22 1 year ago

It comes down to personal preference as well as what game you're doing. I like to spend time on my games swapping out different bulbs to see which ones look the best for that game, but this is my general approach:

For Inserts: Cool whites for white inserts, warm whites for yellow & orange inserts, color match the rest.

For GI: either sunlight or cool white
For Backbox: either sunlight or warm white

Or you could just buy about 200 sunlight LEDs, put them everywhere and call it a day.

#23 1 year ago

Do your own custom LED conversion. For Getaway, search my name in the owners thread and you will see a detailed resource along with several additional LED options that can serve as a starting point for you. BTW, my preferred LED vendor is Comet as I use them for all my pins and all mods that I offer with lighting. Great products and even better people to work with.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tq=led&tu=Mr_tantrum

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Do your own custom LED conversion. For Getaway, search my name in the owners thread and you will see a detailed resource along with several additional LED options that can serve as a starting point for you. BTW, my preferred LED vendor is Comet as I use them for all my pins and all mods that I offer with lighting. Great products and even better people to work with.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tq=led&tu=Mr_tantrum

Just looked at your list. That’s impressive. Just one question…what made you go with clear bulbs vs frosted for the inserts? Does the clear shine through brighter?

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Just looked at your list. That’s impressive. Just one question…what made you go with clear bulbs vs frosted for the inserts? Does the clear shine through brighter?

They appear brighter/cleaner to me whereas the frosted diffuse the light more and are softer and more glowy (if I can makeup such a word). Just comes down to preference. Also, for really bright inserts (if that's your thing) you can go with the no dome 4 SMD bulbs.

BTW, frosted are a must for GI bulbs IMO (i.e. ones always on used to illuminate plastics, etc.) as these often come into your direct line of site and can be distracting if not frosted.

Again, my list is just an inventory of the bulbs in the game and what I chose to go with. Over time, I've certainly made a few changes/tweaks to the bulbs. I always suggest buying a few extras in different colors/types in case you want to try different bulbs in a spot. Also, stay away from the yellow and amber bulbs for inserts as they are quite dull compared to others. Use cool white in yellow inserts and warm white in orange inserts.

Flashers are also a personal preference. I like mine to shock the senses when they fire, so I always go with bright and as many SMDs as possible. I also will use different colors in different areas and try to coordinate with color elements in the area. Some like their flashers to be more subtle and/or all white instead of colored. Again, just comes down to the game and personal preference.

Another tip while you are doing LED swaps is to clean the inside of each of the inserts using q-tips and window cleaner (pure alcohol will leave streaks/residue). Doesn't do much good to add LEDs when the inserts are coated with years of dust on the inside.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Frosted is just a plastic dome over the led. It disperses the light but also reduces the brightness to some degree. Most inserts are jeweled to spread the light so no need for frosted bulb. Direct light to that insert just looks a little better. If an insert is not jeweled, frosted bulb might be better. However, frosted will look fine in all inserts. It's really about fine tuning the lighting of the game to your preferences kind of like setting up a game how you like to play.

#27 1 year ago

If you're a novice I think a light kit from Comet is a great idea, at least one time.

I agree they are expensive and there's a chance you won't use all the lights they send you but they expose you to a variety of options you might not otherwise know exist and they give you an idea of what strength/color of light goes where which helps if you have multiple machines. I bought one for my T2 and I thought it was a tasteful selection, nothing gaudy or abrasive about it except maybe the flashers being too brite in areas. That one kit was enough to guide me in lighting my other machines, most of which were LED's bought at a discount.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 72.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pendleton, IN
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.