• 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DefaultGen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150216_212016.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 9 years ago

Buy a sample pack from each provider of bulbs and see what you like where. Some providers tell you what bulbs look better where too.

#7 9 years ago

If you have friends that have LEDS in their games, that is a good way to see how things look before you buy too. Good luck.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Unfortunately none of my friends owns a pinball machine. But I'm pretty positive they're a better solution than incandescents (warping plastics, getting "smokey"...).

Much better option. Since there are warm whites and retros, there is basically no reason to still use incandescent in any machine in my opinion. I have tried almost every brand/type bulb, and my favorites are:

2 SMD faceted bulbs (warm white). The best all purpose bulb IMO, especially good for GI.
Twin 2835 frosted bulbs (warm white) for backglass.
Twin 2835 frosted for color matching inserts.

I know that comet has all these, but if you are going cointaker, I am sure they have comparable bulbs. Just ask them. Very easy to deal with, and you will get quick responses.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I actually find it hard to get everything I need from just one place. Comet has some really cool stuff, some of my favorites are the Optimus Maximus bulb and the ice blue frosted & flasher. They also have killer prices on non-ghosting bulbs for the inserts.

Totally agree. that is why it is so hard to suggest for someone just starting to get LEDs. I seriously spent like $50 at each company getting a samples and went from there. I now have like at least 100 random LED bulbs that I keep around to try out in a new game to see what looks best in it, then go out and get enough do the whole game.

#15 9 years ago

Also. Do not buy a single non-ghosting bulb until you have converted your whole game to LED. Then play your game and see what bulbs are ghosting, then replace those ones. It will save you a lot of money in the end.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Great tips, guys. Thanks! Just a question - what's ghosting? Is it when the LEDs stay on when they're not meant to (dim glow)?
I'll get a couple of samples from different suppliers to see what works best where. I have the translite lighting for my TZ planned already - it's going to be mostly warm white, but I want to illuminate the open door with clear white and a few places here and there with blue LEDs.
No idea about what I'm going to do with my TOTAN. I couldn't even get to planning since it's got the stupid Williams translite cover on the back (Team Bally for life!!!) and I can't be bothered to take it off yet, I'll wait on the LEDs to arrive. But I think both games look sublime with LED conversion. The colours are magnificent. Gee, good I chose TZ over TAF (albeit both look good with LEDs, but I couldn't find my dream ToM)...

yes. Ghosting is when they are kind of on when they are not supposed to be. Flickering when on is a characteristic of ghosting too. Non-ghosting bulbs I have found help any sort of weird behavior that a normal LED might have. I will let others comment as well, as my issues with ghosting have been few.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 119.99
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 84.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-choice?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.