Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NOT CT (resized).jpg
    20160925_095731 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7566 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20160924_111331 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Has anyone else experienced LED lamps brightness fading over time? I have some cool white frosted single LEDs that are having a usable life well short of a standard incandescent. Seems the ones on the 6VAC GI fade the worst. I have the same bulbs in a F-14 with a switch mode power supply giving dc volts to the GI lamps and they are not fading (at least not as fast). The voltage on the DC supply is a flat 5.5v, so it is lower.

I know brightness intensity fade is a failure mode of LEDs, but it shouldn't happen in a few months... right? I didn't buy the cheapest LEDs, but i didn't get the most expensive ones either.

I tried to take a picture, but I could get good exposure on my cell phone.

#2 7 years ago

Seen alot esp with leds with flat tops single led. Did a family guy and 6 months later almost all were dim

#3 7 years ago

Would you mind sharing the brand of led? I have heard of this happening but wondering if it matters on the brand.

#4 7 years ago

Your eyes are just getting worse.

#5 7 years ago

Made in China I'm sure

#6 7 years ago

Buy cheap sell high grasshopper

#7 7 years ago

All major brands are from the same factory. Stern is using them too.
    Its suspected that sometimes, out of the millions of diodes, some can be bad,
    but I was still at a loss when an entire game, had the issue.
    A bulb here or there would make sense. A whole backbox, does not, and points to something in the game.
    I have heard "theories" but nothing definitive.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

All major brands are from the same factory. Stern is using them too.
    Its suspected that sometimes, out of the millions of diodes, some can be bad,
    but I was still at a loss when an entire game, had the issue.
    A bulb here or there would make sense. A whole backbox, does not, and points to something in the game.
    I have heard "theories" but nothing definitive.

I am running a test now. AC volts vs DC volts and with a few different led types I have enough of to compare against. We will see in a few weeks.

Right now I am only experiencing bad fading with cool white frosted top single LEDs. I just pulled some LEDs that are 3-5 years old from another game, they are still quite bright and running at the same supply voltage (6vac). I also still had some of the exact same LEDs still new in the bag i tried next to the ones in service for a few months. At least 50% brightness has been lost. Its not my eyes =D

Here is the best pic i could get. Bulbs running right at 6.0VAC. Stamp on the led says they are rated for 6.3VAC

20160924_111331 (resized).jpg20160924_111331 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I've recently noticed this same exact thing on 2 games I have on location. The insert LEDs are brill as bright as ever but all the GI is getting really dim.

#10 7 years ago

I had a Funhouse on location that was going through G.I. LED's like water. I measured the AC voltage at the coin door lamp sockets. It was a whopping 8 volts! Turns out the machines power transformer jumpers were set at 105 volts AC input. I moved the jumpers to 120 volts and the lamp voltage dropped to 6 volts where it should be.

#11 7 years ago

Its a tricky thing to find, and one would hope there is a universal answer.
    Over voltage, and under voltage, is possible.
    A Power Spike, I am guessing at...??
    SCR or something else?
    and of course the bulbs themselves.

I have an Xmen, that through 4 years has bulbs from everyone in there, including the production I was doing.

Ive had about 8 bulbs fail. Some have gone out, some have dimmed.

Shouldnt happen, but I do know the difference in fabrication between a single diode $.26 and the same single diode bulb from Japan that would cost over a $1.00.

I toss them and put new ones in.

I no longer own an LED business, and I can say things that may be a bit more "open" at this time.

There is a big difference in how single LEDs are made and QC vs SMD.
    Factories dont want to make the 1 LED as much because of very low margins of profit.

One really must see how these things are made, in order to appreciate the prices offered by all suppliers
    today.

Walk into Walmart, and see what you can find for a Quarter!

If your game is losing a bulb here or there, blame it on the bulb.
    If your game is losing a bulb in the same socket, something is wrong there.
    If you loose all the bulbs in your game, or all on a "line" somethings happening in the game.

Work with your LED Vendor, as they each have their own policies.

Consider upgrading to a better made bulb.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Walk into Walmart, and see what you can find for a Quarter!
    If your game is losing a bulb here or there, blame it on the bulb.
    If your game is losing a bulb in the same socket, something is wrong there.
    If you loose all the bulbs in your game, or all on a "line" somethings happening in the game.

makes sense. would depend no what is truly going on. plus who cares if you get the cheap ones and they last for a year or 2. you got well above your monies worth.

#13 7 years ago

plus I love those cheapies you had back when you had the company. huge bang for the buck!!!

#14 7 years ago

They are still available, if in stock.

All I can say is this year for just that bulb, and only that bulb, it was a pain in the ass to get the components made at the same price as it was the last 3 years.

#15 7 years ago

I bought this nifty TZ clock board from Germany that came with these super flux LEDs. They slowly died over 4 months on location.

Anyone know where I could get reliable replacements domestically?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I bought this nifty TZ clock board from Germany that came with these super flux LEDs. They slowly died over 4 months on location.

My local electronics shop supplies those.

They are called flat top Piranha leds.
    They come in 3mm and 5mm

Here is a link to an online store. Located in
    WA.

http://lighthouseleds.com/led-component-lighting/piranha-super-flux-leds-1.html?p=3

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

If that's an Ingo clock board you can find replacement LEDs in your choice of colors at http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm
    Borygard here on Pinside. $10 a set, $15 for color changing.

Now Available-Additional Sets of TZ Clock Board LEDs

Complete sets of LEDs for Ingo's TZ Clock Board.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Wow crazy had mine for years and leds look new still

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I had a Funhouse on location that was going through G.I. LED's like water. I measured the AC voltage at the coin door lamp sockets. It was a whopping 8 volts! Turns out the machines power transformer jumpers were set at 105 volts AC input. I moved the jumpers to 120 volts and the lamp voltage dropped to 6 volts where it should be.

This makes perfect sense. Alot of games I've seen came set at 105 volts

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Has anyone else experienced LED lamps brightness fading over time?

Not that it's going to solve the problem, but just out of interest have you tried splitting the LED apart by removing the metal base from the LED itself to see whether the support components inside are the problem? i.e. the mini bridge rectifier, resistor, etc?

#21 7 years ago

I've noticed more than anything the plastic housing gets brown and brittle, eventually causing the bulb to fail....VERY prominent in 555 (4x) LED bulbs.......have had several random, single 5050's dim or die over time, as well....as Art pointed out, these are not high end electronics ( which break eventually too)

#22 7 years ago

Not all LEDs are the same quality, as much as some people try to sell that point. There are different grade led chips. Lower cost chips, not as bright. One way to compensate is a trick called "overdriving". This will allow a higher voltage to the led making it brighter, for a shorter time. So when its new, looks great. So if your a flipper, these are the LEDs for you. Someone else's problem when they dim out.

Another thing is packaging. This is the other components that provide the power to the leds. Higher quality, better tolerances! Same as leds there are different quality resistors. Low quality, low life expectancy. If the resistor values vary a larger amount, you will have more failures, more dimming, and shorter life.

Sorry to hear about the experience with the picture of the led with two months use and it now worthless. Unfortunately we hear the same story every week.

As with most products available, they are not all the same. As a route operator I have a lot of experience with LEDs with many hours on them. More then glad to chat about the amusement business, pinball, and leds.

We have High Quality Frosted 2-led units at 69 cent each per hundred. Free USA shipping on orders over 100 dollars.

http://cointaker.com/products/44-47-frosted

If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a ring.

570-847-6366

Regards,

Chris

IMG_7566 (resized).jpgIMG_7566 (resized).jpg

NOT CT (resized).jpgNOT CT (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

^^ * "componeNts"

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

^^ * "componeNts"

More like COmpoNents....

#25 7 years ago

This is typical of an over-driven LED. To get maximum brightness, the resistance value is at the "hairy edge" or even over it. Then you have voltage fluctuations from using lots of LED's as well as different input voltages especially on GI circuits. All of that contributes to the semiconductor junction eventually weakening or burning out.

For a great example note that the majority of commercial truck-trailers on the road today have LED tail & brake lights. The cheapest ones have fewer elements but are driven at the edge to provide the DOT mandated light output. On these it is common to see a few elements burnt out as they get a few years old.

The original LED lights with fewer elements were made by Signal-Stat. Trick-Lite bought Signal-Stat several years ago but marketed the Signal-Stat line as their lower cost /economy product line.

#26 7 years ago

i just took one to bits.

20160925_095731 (resized).jpg20160925_095731 (resized).jpg

two 51 ohm (green brown black, odd value) resistors do the current limiting. Increasing the value of those resistors would probably make the bulb less bright to begin with, but have a longer service life.

The LED itself seemed to be potted inside the frosted dome top. It was not just some kind of cover like i was expecting. I tried getting at it, but it was shattering into small pieces all over so i stopped.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The LED itself seemed to be potted inside the frosted dome top.

It's just a standard 10mm LED isn't it?
    Are both of the 3 pin dual diode packs still good?

#28 7 years ago

Plain and simple, the lower end LEDs will fade over time when used for GI on route games. It has been posted and documented before. As was stated, they are being over driven to get maximum brightness out of lower end products.

FWIW, I have Coin Taker Premium WWs in an EM on location and they are as bright after 2 plus years as they were when new. It's just hard to shell out $1.19 per led to fill some backglasses using 40+ lamps each. (Cheap bastard alert!)

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Wow crazy had mine for years and leds look new still

Perhaps the difference was this machine was on location thus those LEDs were on 12 hours a day.

Also, I think there is a brightness adjustment on that board. I may have set it too high.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Not all LEDs are the same quality, as much as some people try to sell that point. There are different grade led chips. Lower cost chips, not as bright. One way to compensate is a trick called "overdriving". This will allow a higher voltage to the led making it brighter, for a shorter time. So when its new, looks great. So if your a flipper, these are the LEDs for you. Someone else's problem when they dim out.
    Another thing is packaging. This is the other components that provide the power to the leds. Higher quality, better tolerances! Same as leds there are different quality resistors. Low quality, low life expectancy. If the resistor values vary a larger amount, you will have more failures, more dimming, and shorter life.
    Sorry to hear about the experience with the picture of the led with two months use and it now worthless. Unfortunately we hear the same story every week.
    As with most products available, they are not all the same. As a route operator I have a lot of experience with LEDs with many hours on them. More then glad to chat about the amusement business, pinball, and leds.
    We have High Quality Frosted 2-led units at 69 cent each per hundred. Free USA shipping on orders over 100 dollars.
    http://cointaker.com/products/44-47-frosted
    If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a ring.
    570-847-6366
    Regards,
    Chris

Chris,

Are your $0.69 2 led bulbs SMT LEDs or through hole style?

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Chris,
    Are your $0.69 2 led bulbs SMT LEDs or through hole style?

Surface mount.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

It's just a standard 10mm LED isn't it?
    Are both of the 3 pin dual diode packs still good?

The LED is through hole, not sure what size i guess. It is potted inside of the frosted top making it kinda of hart to tell see whats going on in there. When i tried to crack it open it starting flinging shards of plastic across the room so i decided to skip trying to get at the diode itself.

The resistors are close enough in value and do not appear to have been overheated. I am getting normal voltage drops across the dual diode packs. I think the LED just dimmed out because of being over driven. I wonder how they picked that resistor value...

#33 7 years ago

It's simply a resin LED, not potted, just made that way. Some of the cheapest kind of LEDs you can buy. While a large package, they don't typically put out as much lumens as surface mount or piranha/T-Flux products without being driven at their limits.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I wonder how they picked that resistor value...

Guessing they used a decade box and stopped on a value that gave the brightest light instead of using Ohm's Law........

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I wonder how they picked that resistor value...

Typical forward voltage drop for a standard white LED is 3.2V
    Account for the bridge rectifier is another 1.2V
    6.3V - (3.2 + 1.2) = 1.9V (required across the resistor)
    1.9V / 0.02 amps (typical standard LED forward current) = 95ohms.
    So on face value those two 51 ohm resistors in series should be about right.

But the 6.3V AC is RMS, take into account the peak voltage and a LED with say a low quality/spec peak forward current and that could possibly be a problem.
    Also as with most things they don't like heat. So if you're bench testing leftover LEDs for a month or two, pinball thermals should be simulated.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-brightness-fading-over-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.