You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Changing our TOTAN to LED
I'm not sure I like really bright bright , what are the options and suggestions

#2 7 years ago

Um... what?

#4 7 years ago

Thank you for not going with BRIGHTER IS BETTER. Too many retina burning LED installations out there.
You can also consider frosted vs clear lenses. I generally like frosted, since it seems to be a "softer" appearance.

#5 7 years ago

Thank you
So frosted is brighter than normal but not a lot?
It would be nice to see comparisons

#6 7 years ago

Frosted distributes the light more evenly. Clear lens led's work best under inserts and tends to be more harsh on the eyes when exposed. Frosted is the best bet for GI and backbox in my opinion.

#7 7 years ago

The frosted 1 led, 5 mm SMD (SURFACE MOUNTED DIODES) leds with frosted lens/dome offered by Comet Pinball will give you a brighter light than incandescent bulbs without being overbearing. It will give your game that brand new look. You will need to color match that leds with the color of the playfield inserts. Also use the white frosted warm white for the general illumination or some colors for that custom look. In the backbox clear lens/dome white leds look good with a mix of colors to accent. It depends on the game you have. Be creative. There is no limit to your imagination. Have fun with it.

#8 7 years ago

Warm white frosted is usually a good choice for yellow inserts.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Warm white frosted is usually a good choice for yellow inserts.

I agree.Yellow and orange inserts usually look better with white frosted leds. The reason is that the yellow and orange leds are somewhat dimmer that the other colors.

#10 7 years ago

One more bit of advise is to clean the inserts on the underside of the playfield with a Q-tip soaked in water or a mild solvent to remove the dirt and grunge that has built up over the years for brighter lights.

#11 7 years ago

What about the LED kits for TOTAN.
Good value?

Looks like there are several variations

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from lmcdonald111:

What about the LED kits for TOTAN.
Good value?
Looks like there are several variations

Kits are nice but more expensive than just buying them individually from say Pinball life .

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Kits are nice but more expensive than just buying them individually from say Pinball life .

Depends. Our kits are the exact same price as if you bought everything individually, sometimes tghe kits are a few bucks less actually. If you compare to the same bulbs that come in our kits that PBL sells our kits are lower cost. However, we decided to add extra value in our kits by including no solder spotlights and led strips. Fully plug in play, to help even out the brightness and more evenly illuminate your game. All our kits are made by us in person, not from a manual either. So, we make sure we play test and there aren't an clear bulbs visible while playing an the game isn't blinding.

Agree if you go with the really dim bulbs from PBL they will be cheaper

#14 7 years ago

I use comet twin 2835 frosted sunlight white in the GI, back box, and most inserts.
Get a sample kit to find out what you like.

#15 7 years ago

i found on the pinbot that i worked on for a friend, that using yellow bulbs under the orange looked really good, then used the white under the yellow.

#16 7 years ago

Careful about the flashers. I have yet to find flashers that are not blindingly bright. It isn't a big deal if they are not directly exposed, but through clear inserts or ramps, they are painful. Still looking for a good solution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 119.99
$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-brightness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.