Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by slghokie
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2cd95882b414993ceb482a979520033a9ee3ea8e (resized).jpg
    2014-11-23 14.49.12-284.jpg
    2014-11-23 15.31.35-987.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jags.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago

I did a complete LED job in My Bally "Star Trek" using the resistor trick. I used 1K resistors for my conversion and yes I did do ALL the controlled playfield sockets! Ordered 100 1K resistors off of ebay. Set me back an entire $1.49 including shipping! I also used the opportunity to fix the Bally lamp holders that we all know are pretty bad. They get loose after time and start to go intermittent. To fix them you need to solder the socket to the bracket and solder the wire to the "nub". Also to make the LEDs work without flickering you need to solder a 1K resistor across the terminals of the socket. So I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. Look at how I soldered in the resistor to the lamp socket:

// Error: Image 118977 not found //

As you can see I soldered the socket to the bracket at the edge where they meet. I also used this as one point to solder one end of the resistor. The other end of the resistor I soldered directly to the socket "nib" AND also the tab where the wire is soldered to. This creates a solid conection between the "nib", wire, and the other end of the resistor. Lamps are all now very solid and the LEDs work perfectly with no flicker!

I also used this same technique on my Game Plan Star Trip cocktail pin. It had the same flickering issue. It seems that any resistor between 470 - 1.5K should work just fine.

Here is a video I put together showing the full LED conversion in my Bally Star Trek:

3 weeks later
    #20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kevlar:

Will the resistor trick sort it for me?

Probably not. Ghosting is an entirely different problem than the blinking or flickering problem the early Bally pins have. Ghosting is caused by the lamp matrix bleeding a small amount of voltage into the bulb. It doesn't affect a regular incandescent but it will cause an LED to light up dimly or "ghost". The non ghosting LEDs have a capacitor built in that supposed to eliminate the problem. In some systems it works but in others it doesn't.

You may want to contact Art at www.cometpinball.com as he has a new bulb coming in very soon that may work for your problem. It is a specially engineered bulb made especially for pinball use that should eliminate the ghosting problem. It has both capacitors and resistors built in that should cure almost any ghosting, strobing, or flickering problem. Great prices too!!

Good luck!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jags.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-anti-ghosting-15k-resistor-trick?tu=jags and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.