Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cart.png
    20151002_175522.jpg
    20151002_175451.jpg
    20151002_175147.jpg
    smalls.png
    51SaSUnaPNL._AA160_.jpg
    bulbs.jpg
    image.jpg
    CAM00079.jpg
    BIN.jpg
    led_storage_001.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I've just had these in the smalls bags they get shipped to me until now. Man, I love Costco.

I saw this thing the last time I was there, thought it was cool and passed it by. This last time I went I actually looked at the price, it was like $ 9.50 or something, under 10 bucks for sure. Just a ridiculously inexpensive storage solution for small parts. It was called like the Roto Twist or something. The clear cups are pretty nice quality too. 24 cups total, the unit rotates.

Not perfect, the cups can be a little tricky to get on and off without spilling anything, but not too bad.

Just curious what you use for your small parts? I like drawers, but items don't seem as easy to find.

led_storage_001.JPGled_storage_001.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I have some bins like this for small stuff, and then some larger ones as well that are just single pull outs...

BIN.jpgBIN.jpg

#3 11 years ago

I've just had these in the smalls bags they get shipped to me until now. Man, I love Costco.
    I saw this thing the last time I was there, thought it was cool and passed it by. This last time I went I actually looked at the price, it was like $ 9.50 or something, under 10 bucks for sure. Just a ridiculously inexpensive storage solution for small parts. It was called like the Roto Twist or something. The clear cups are pretty nice quality too. 24 cups total, the unit rotates.
    Not perfect, the cups can be a little tricky to get on and off without spilling anything, but not too bad.
    Just curious what you use for your small parts? I like drawers, but items don't seem as easy to find.

Got the same thing for my small nuts and bolts, nice!

This is what I use for my LEDs. I got it from The Container Store. Holds 200 555 base and about 180-185 44/47 base.

CAM00079.jpgCAM00079.jpg

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Holds 200 555 base and about 180-185 44/47 base

Aren't those supposed to be inside the game? Or are those for future games you'll work on or get for your collection?

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Aren't those supposed to be inside the game? Or are those for future games you'll work on or get for your collection?

Just a stock I have so when I get a game I can LED it quickly, easily and have a great selection and don't have to order for that game alone.

#6 11 years ago

I've tried everything from pull out parts bins, to flip cover bins from Harbor Freight, to old pill bottles and honestly the best storage I have found is to simply use various sizes of kitchen Ziplock bags. I mainly use the small snack size bags from ZipLock or Target's Up-n-Up brand with the double blue/green seal.

Identical items go inside each of these, then similar packages of these end up being combined into a larger quart sized "plastic pull zip" bag from either Ziplock or Hefty. Sometimes, these go into larger pull-zip sized gallon bags.

This then allows me to bunch together a lot of like stuff for QUICK finding based upon appearance of even one thing inside, and since they're flexible bags, they accommodate a small # of items or a large number of items and resize accordingly. So unlike the fixed sized jars/containers, I'm never wasting space storing air.

Plus digging parts out is much easier than digging out of the bottom of a tiny square partition, and if I have an accident, I spill one open bag, instead of potentially an entire case of parts.

It also allows me to toss them into other containers from small tool boxes to large 15 gallon totes. (I keep videogame buttons, leaf switches, joysticks, wiring, etc.. in a similar fashion, but those are usually quart and gallon only not snack size)

I even keep screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc.. Though those bags need swapping out every year or so as they end up poking holes through some of them. The only thing I haven't transitioned to them are crimp pins and spades/rings/etc.. I keep those in the harbor freight style multi-bin clear tackle like boxes.

You'll go through more of the snack size ones before you ever need to replace the larger ones, and they're reasonable for a box of 100 too.

#7 11 years ago

I use a lot of Stanley parts organizers. Black plastic organizers with handles and lift out yellow plastic bins. Works great for hardware. I am not a LED person, so I store my bulbs in the boxes they come in.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I use the ones that Tom shows in the pics. Stackon from Home Depot. I started off with 1 now I have 6. The Roto twist is cool though, lets you see what you have. The only negative I see is that it looks like it take alot of space?

Cute dogs, we have a westy too, She's going to 8 years old in July and she's still very playful and full of enery. Great dog to have with kids.

Rich

2 years later
    #9 8 years ago

I got this neat idea to use ball tubes from Marco for LEDs. This tube has Titan bulbs but I should be able to fit more with smaller domed LEDs.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Toolbox/cart on right. Parts storage on left in tower that I bought from Target (bought 2 and stacked them).
    I keep all small parts in fishing tackle boxes from Walmart - the smallest are in drawer #2 of that tower on the left
    Close up pic is from drawer number 2 in the parts storage tower
    Last pic is storage for LED -similar fishing tackle box

The tackle boxes are cheap, secure and effective
    I write the item description write on the plastic box with a sharpie - helps me when re-ordering

20151002_175147.jpg20151002_175147.jpg

20151002_175451.jpg20151002_175451.jpg20151002_175522.jpg20151002_175522.jpg

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I got this neat idea to use ball tubes from Marco for LEDs. This tube has Titan bulbs but I should be able to fit more with smaller domed LEDs.

You'd need to buy a ton of balls to have all different colors and styles!

I love storage. I haven't figured out what to do with LEDs yet. They're kind of a unique case where I sometimes want to look at all my options instead of just deciding what I need then finding it in a drawer. I currently use 3 Harbor Freight medium sized storage cases, but with some bins from the smallest storage cases so there's a ton of bins.

bulbs.jpgbulbs.jpg

I started using these Akro-Mils bins for small parts since having a couple dozen Harbor Freight cases was just ridiculous. They divide in half so each stores 128 different components.

51SaSUnaPNL._AA160_.jpg51SaSUnaPNL._AA160_.jpg

These tiny SMD component cases are very good for electronics and small parts, you can snap as many together as you want. The tiny ones are the size of a quarter and only cost about $0.25. I like the ones that are twice as big too. They're perfect for things that don't warrant their own drawer like e-clips, switch contacts, those little plates microswitches screw into, etc.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-lot-Components-Case-SMD-SMT-Component-Container-Storage-Boxes-Electronic-Case-Kit-5-colors/32285230337.html
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/electronic-case-kit-IC-boxes-smd-storage-box-SMA-SMT-component-container-storage-50pcs-lot-Free/1990153794.html

smalls.pngsmalls.png

Harbor Freight part storage cart to hold all of the above and for bigger parts like pop bumper bodies, flippers, leg levelers and whatnot.

cart.pngcart.png

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

You'd need to buy a ton of balls to have all different colors and styles!

I help run a route for a company so trust me, we will be going through a few balls. I have a second tube I haven't opened yet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-small-part-storage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.