New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 111571)

LED Advice for TZ

By JoeB1355

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by neurokinetik
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

OPMAX-2T.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Its time for me to shop my TZ again after 15 years -- its need s a little cleanup flippers rebuilt again etc.

I want to put in LEDs but I want it to look "normal" not blue not dim etc. Just wan to eliminate the heat (and the juice) but still look stock

There are too many sellers of LEDS with too many options

I'm sure someone has this figured out so where / what to get to swap them all out when I shop this?

Especially the flashers since I had 1 melt a plastic!

#2 6 years ago

You could try some of cointakers frosted or 2 led retro .From comet you can try the comfort bright. These bulbs should be slightly brighter than incandescent .Buy some warm whites and check them out ,or if there's another collector in the area they may have some spares you can experiment with to see what you like. Don't waste your money on orange or yellow colored bulbs they are to dark use warm whites .

#3 6 years ago

I like all the GI to be frosted. Just choose if you like them to be on the cool or warm side. I have been hearing about the Sunlight lamps from Comet, and have ordered some.

For inserts, as mentioned, pass on yellow. I personally like the extra pop a red LED does to a red insert.

I do really like colored LEDs in the backbox. I have mostly cool white, with a red behind the base of the gumball machine, and some blues in the blue areas near the top left and right.

#4 6 years ago

The premium non-ghosting kit from cointakers works well. Use non ghosting on the inserts for sure.

#5 6 years ago

Cointaker premium non-ghosted worked great for me as well, but I eventually went with some warmer GI bulbs. Inserts look great.

#6 6 years ago

I used these Comets (sunlight) in mine, turned out nice and bright….

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax.htm

OPMAX-2T.jpg

#7 6 years ago

If you have the 9.4 rom you really don't need non ghosting leds you can order from comet for a great price but its up to you haw bright you want it .1 , 2, or 4 smd frosted is what I would recommend depending how you want it but if you just want it to look like original just get 1 smd frosted in warm or sunlight and ita be close

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

If you have the 9.4 rom you really don't need non ghosting leds you can order from comet for a great price but its up to you haw bright you want it .1 , 2, or 4 smd frosted is what I would recommend depending how you want it but if you just want it to look like original just get 1 smd frosted in warm or sunlight and ita be close

Are you talking about the 9.4H home ROMS? If so, I can tell you that the outlanes and shoot again inserts blink differently with standard LEDs installed. I haven't changed out my door panels, but those three reds do act differently in attract mode.

#9 5 years ago

I really like the Pinballbulbs kit that I just installed:
http://pinballbulbs.com/kits/twilight-zone

#10 5 years ago

The translite art really seems to pop with cool LEDs from pictures I have seen.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

Are you talking about the 9.4H home ROMS? If so, I can tell you that the outlanes and shoot again inserts blink differently with standard LEDs installed. I haven't changed out my door panels, but those three reds do act differently in attract mode.

Yea as soonas I put it inall my ghosting went away

#12 5 years ago

I posted my TZ here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-game-200-in-prizes-led-enhanced-games-pictures/page/3#post-1475270

My rule of thumb was warm white frosted in the GI, warm white clear dome for all yellow inserts, orange 4-LED for orange, red clear dome for the reds, and cool white clear dome for the whites. For the bulbs that have condoms on them, I replaced those with frosted LEDs of the same color.

I did have to use "remote" LEDs in any place under the playfield where the bulb is not pointing straight up. (I want to say Lock, Extra Ball, one or more of the greed targets, and Shoot Again all needed the remote LEDs)

With the exception of the orange "quads", I used all "premium" type bulbs that use the 5050 single LED. I also have LED OCD and GI OCD installed.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea as soonas I put it inall my ghosting went away

I've ran the home ROMS, nearly since they were available (early 2000's).

Are yours fairly recent? I wonder if there were some tweaks made in a later version of the ROMs?

#14 5 years ago

You would think if they did that, the revision number would change.

#15 5 years ago

I am running the 9.4H rims. Had big ghosting issues till I went to non ghosting LEDs.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

You would think if they did that, the revision number would change.

Yes, you would think so. I remember reading about someone who had revised a game ROM to address the ghosting issue. If it were a DIY ROM hack, they might not follow the established numbering sequence. I couldn't remember which game it was.

Anyway, I'm running 9.4H. What I see on the reds I have changed out is when the lighting effect pans left to right and back again, the LEDs in the outlanes and shoot again inserts, double-blink.

Oddly enough, I also inserted a red LED in the Extra Ball insert near the Lock, and it acts normally.

#17 5 years ago

I just tried mine, which has the 9.4H Roms, testing LED OCD in normal mode and in passthrough mode (LED OCD disabled) so I could see the difference. Even with non-ghosting LEDs in most of the inserts, and the "patched" roms, the strobing is unbearable.

#18 5 years ago

I just tried mine, which has the 9.4H Roms, testing LED OCD in normal mode and in passthrough mode (LED OCD disabled) so I could see the difference. Even with non-ghosting LEDs in most of the inserts, and the "patched" roms, the strobing is unbearable.

Same with mine. Ghosting and flickering is horrid. Once I get my PF back together, I'll be getting the LED OCD board..

#19 5 years ago

Here's a vid (might need to wait a few until it finishes publishing):

#20 5 years ago

Just found out mine was missing the diode on the extra ball button. Definitely will cause ghosting issues. That may have been my issue.

#21 5 years ago

Imnot sure I know mine was night and day with the ghosting between roms and 9.4h is much better. No machine and led are alike and yes missing diode would not help the issue . Were talking about ghosting which I did see a huge difference with 9.4 but it has some strobeing and flickering but I dont see it like others so it don't bother me, the rom will not fix that but the ng patch isnt meant to.

#22 5 years ago

So a lot of talk on this thread. I'm looking for LEDS that look most like the original bulbs. Not colored ones or brighter ones (or dimmer ones)

I'm sure someone has figured it out -- Please share

The stock look -- but LED

This is precisely why I asked I'm still confused with the many responses ;>

#23 5 years ago

The LED that looks most like an incandescent is a 10mm Clear Warm White Resin Diode.
$.26 each/100.

However, when all things are considered, Id venture to say that it is about 80% that "....most looks like
an incandescent."

A closer "light view" is a 6mm warm white, but physically shorter in height.

There is no LED that creates a 95% look of Incandescent IMO.

Regardless of my opinion or others, I might suggest you try a couple to see what makes you happy.
It may not be the same as what makes others happy...hence all the different opinions.

#24 5 years ago

Here's a vid (might need to wait a few until it finishes publishing):
» YouTube video

That's one of the best videos that I have seen, showing the difference.

#25 5 years ago

Too bad YouTube butchers the quality. The original looks much better, and the strobing is much worse.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside