(Topic ID: 315)

LED #89 and #906 flashers with DE games: Voltage problems?

By plugger

14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by plugger
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

I was reading about this product at bcspinball.com that says that the Data East PPB (playfield power board) runs the #89 and #906 flashers at higher than spec voltage, and this causes problems with LED replacement bulbs:

http://bcspinball.com/product_info.php?cPath=83_104&products_id=406

I've just ordered some Ablaze #89 replacement LED from Pinball Life. Anyone experienced any issues using these LEDs with DE pins?

The proposed mod looks fairly straightforward, BTW: Simply putting in some series resistors on the flasher outputs from the PPB to drop the voltage a bit. If this mod was recommended or required for the Ablaze (or other brand) LEDs, it would be a fairly simple mod to do (assuming the appropriate resistor values are known.)

Comments appreciated.

#2 14 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. I mean geebus that site can't even spell board correctly (bored).

The Ablaze LED's are quite tolerant of minor voltage variations and spec'd to take it.
    Being an old electronic tech for years as well I also know a flashed LED is even MORE tolerant of an overvoltage situation as it has time to cool between lighting. If you did want to put in a series resistor remember the old formulas:

E=IR
    P=IE

P=Power in watts
    E=Voltage in volts
    R=Resistance in Ohms
    I=Current in amps

You can manipulate and combine those formulas to your liking using standard algebra.

#3 14 years ago

I sent an email to Terry at Pinball Life, and he sent me a very prompt and courteous reply that indicated he was not aware of particular issues with the DE pins and the Ablaze LEDs, and in any case he would be supportive if I encountered any problems. Thanks Terry! Exceptional customer service.

I'll report back here when I've installed the LEDs to let everyone know how it worked out on my machine.

#4 14 years ago

He's good to deal with. Most of the people who run the major pinball parts sites and machine sale sites are very responsive and easy to deal with. Their clientele (us folk) are a unique market and they do all they can to make us happy and keep us coming back. You are "required" to post a picture when your conversion is completed.

#5 14 years ago

I'm like the johnny 5 from the short circuit movie.........INPUT INPUT INPUT!!! LED's LED's LED's........PINBALL PINBALL PINBALL.......gotta checksum my gotos in my programming!
    NO DISSASEMBLE STEPHANIE!!!

2 weeks later
    #6 14 years ago

Just thought I'd update this thread to say that I've had no problems at all with the "Ablaze" brand flashers LEDs in my Data East machine -- they work exactly as expected "plug and play" without any wiring mods.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-89-and-906-flashers-with-de-games-voltage-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.