S20180821_0006 (resized).jpg
IMG_2507 (resized).JPG
IMG_2459 (resized).JPG
IMG_2493 (resized).JPG
IMG_2492 (resized).JPG
IMG_2491 (resized).JPG
IMG_2495 (resized).JPG
IMG_2490 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I played a few games this evening and it worked just fine. I hate when that happens. So I pulled the board out and removed the CPU and PIAs. They look fine - almost new looking. I then looked closely at the sockets. They look good but they look cheap. Not heavy duty looking like the twin leaf or machine pin sockets from GPE. The brand on them say "AUGAT" Anyone ever hear of that brand?
I think I see some socket replacements in my future.
Bob[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Actually, Augat is known for good connectors and sockets. To be honest - those don't look too bad but hard to tell from the picture.
The problem sockets used to be the single leaf sockets (I don't think anybody makes those anylonger) and the twin leaf, sideways mounted sockets (make contacts on edges of pins and not sides of pins).

#23 5 years ago

But in some cases - that's the good thing about machine pin sockets. The solder flows through to pads on both sides of boards. Good if you have a bad plated through hole.

To answer Bob's question -- the advantage of machine pin sockets is they typically have four tangs inside the sleeve. Makes contact on four sides of the IC leg. In fact, for high reliability boards (where sockets are occasionally allowed) -- they exclusively use high end machine pin sockets. But these high end sockets are of a different breed than what you find on most sites (including mine). The high end sockets - you are looking at typically $4 or more per socket.

But - for this sort of usage, there really isn't that much of an advantage of machine pin over twin leaf.
Single leaf sockets...now those suck. I don't think anybody makes them any longer.
Then, as I mentioned above, sideways twin leaf sockets also suck (think 'Scanbe').

Most of the machine pin sockets I carry were made by Keltron Connector Company... plus a few Mill-Max and British (forgot company name) sockets. Keltron is no more & the British company is no more. I'm thinking when my machine pins sockets are gone, I'm going to stop selling that type - but I still have thousands left.
My twin leaf sockets are either AMP (Tyco), Mill-Max or Amphenol. I avoid cheap brands such as Chinese brands - the pot metal used for the sockets is too soft, just asking for trouble in the future.

#25 5 years ago

Yeah, I have seen Adam Tech before but never looked into them. If their sockets are any good, I'll see if I can get on their distributor list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lectronamo-just-quits?tu=g-p-e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.