Topic Stats

• 265 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Euchrid
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Garys_JuicyMellons149.jpg
careful man.jpg
thumb_600.jpg
the_dude1.jpg
make_the_donuts.jpg
political-correctness-voltaire.jpg
PC-7.jpg
dead-horse.gif
92nwBbv.jpg
image-244.jpg
image-943.jpg
walter.jpg
red-bull-stratos.jpg

There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Think about it Panzer. I was on he same page and then looked at the dollar now and where its heading. Honestly the dollar against the euro makes this a 7500 game to them and maybe less if things keep up. Ordering by Sunday gets you chrome trim and the rug. Making it at least 800 less. It's practically free!! : )

Nice! Preorder in, haha.

I'm slightly considering preordering a game. The game looks awesome and it's the most impressive new pin I've seen out of Expo. The price tag will likely put the game out of my budget sadly.

#52 5 years ago

2 rusty,
I disagree . Yes some tweaks need to be done but to have many prototypes machines for the show in a year shows they can push and get things done. Plus it shows how great the game is minus some typical issues. I played three different machines and the one thing I never encountered was weak flippers though .

#53 5 years ago

I'd like to be in on this...but nervous as hell about the $$ for something never played...and I'm not a huge fan of the movie. That being said...the game layout looks amazing.

Damn. This sux

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'd like to be in on this...but nervous as hell about the $$ for something never played...and I'm not a huge fan of the movie. That being said...the game layout looks amazing.
Damn. This sux

If you're not into the movie then you really should wait to play it first IMO.

How do you feel about Aliens?

#55 5 years ago

I like Aliens

#56 5 years ago

Original Alien is a classic. Sequels not so good I think. Original Alien would be a great theme.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Original Alien is a classic. Sequels not so good I think. Original Alien would be a great theme.

Chet, check out the Heighway pinball info. Nordman is designing an Alien pin. I am very interested in what he is doing.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Berserk:

Gary is not impressed lol but I don't care!
» YouTube video

that's because he was shocked to see that there is no fog in the window.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Berserk:

» YouTube video

Lol..that's a funny video, I swear most times I like him and admire him and other times I despise him for what he does to the games and his designers.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I really like the game a lot but can't justify the price tag, especially after shipping. If this game was $7500 I would be all over it.

It's definitely worth the extra money over Hobbit based on what we've seen thus far.

#61 5 years ago

"Hey careful man, there's a beverage here!"

image-943.jpg
#62 5 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

"Hey careful man, there's a beverage here!"

image-943.jpg 98 KB

Classic.

#63 5 years ago

"This isn't the work of carpet pissers.
No....Carpet pissers didn't do this." -Gary Stern

image-244.jpg

#64 5 years ago

I loved the gameplay and I could care less for the movie. I did think the presentation was a little unprofessional. You don't have to use the "F" word to show confidence. Kinda makes them look ignorant in some respects. Once was funny. The game is pretty awesome though.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I loved the gameplay and I could care less for the movie. I did think the presentation was a little unprofessional. You don't have to use the "F" word to show confidence. Kinda makes them look ignorant in some respects. Once was funny. The game is pretty awesome though.

Interesting that different people got a different vibe from Phil's presentation. To me - he was being confident, proud of his product and team, and funny...contextually he was channeling the movie...being a little Waltery...I think because the Dutch guys are kind of polite and reserved, he wanted this reveal to be a fun show - and I think he gave us that. Having spent some time with Phil, I can tell you he's one of the most humble, genuine, nice & smart guys I've ever met. The Dutch team is just so on the ball - they have a unified vision and COLLABORATE...the duties are not segmented - they're in sync and THAT is what's making this game great!

#66 5 years ago

I wasn't offended at all. I just would have ditched the "F" word a little is all. He seemed proud and cool and has reason to be. The game will sell itself. I had the most fun on that game at expo this year.

#67 5 years ago

My guess is you haven't watched the movie.

Quoted from coasterguy:

#68 5 years ago

Also, he's human.. the combination of nerves and pride may have gotten away from him a bit.. it was a big moment for DP.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Lol I am allowed to say that because I am one. Don't get all bent out of shape, Jew is derogatory Jewish is the proper respectful term and most despise losing money myself included.
Apologies for making a joke about my religion on pinside.

I'm Jewish (converted), as well. Seriously, I doubt there are many Jews (it is not a derogatory term in all contexts and most Jewish people refer to themselves as Jews) that would willfully perpetuate the stereotype that Jews are fixated with money.

I think we've gotten a bit overly PC as a society, but adding "Jew" to the context of your statement was unnecessary and speaks to your own innate bias.

Gary was giving the face of a man who sees his competition is going to cost him money...plain and simple.

#70 5 years ago

I was also a little surprised about the delivery style of the presentation, simply because of how they have handled everything else up to this point. All their marketing has been so professional and they have stayed off Pinside and simply let their work speak for itself. Therefore, the presentation was a little bit unexpected. However, I agree with Nate from Coast2coast pinball that Phil was probably just excited and that he was also maybe trying to act out Walter (or multiple characters) from the movie.

However, if I can offer some feedback, I think that for future presentations it would be better to focus on the game more. There is a ton of things on the game that they could of provided detail about. Maybe they could show a Powerpoint with close-up pictures showing sections of the playfield; talk about each part and what they were trying to achieve. They could show the underside of the playfield, inside the cabinet, etc. Then they could explain the modes, music, etc. Finally, they could talk about the factory, payment plans, delivery, etc. with clear charts, diagrams, timelines and such.

They have done such a great job with the theme, concept and the machine itself, I'd like to see more information about the game itself in a talk.

Seems like they did a great job with the rest of their Expo marketing, their vendor space looks great and it looks like a great time was had by all at the VIP parties.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Having spent some time with Phil, I can tell you he's one of the most humble, genuine, nice & smart guys I've ever met.

I saw the presentation on video. I don't know Phil, but he came across as arrogant in the presentation. The two seated guys appeared humble (I assumed they were the brains.)

Dropping F bombs in a public presentation and giving snappy retorts to questions didn't strike me as professional, clever, or intelligent. I was not offended nor impressed by it. However, I think the game looks like the result of a very professional company.

The game really speaks volumes to the great work of the Dutch Pinball team.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Having spent some time with Phil, I can tell you he's one of the most humble, genuine, nice & smart guys I've ever met. The Dutch team is just so on the ball - they have a unified vision and COLLABORATE...the duties are not segmented - they're in sync and THAT is what's making this game great!

I'm glad to hear that, I like F bombs myself, but I also like humble and genuine, a lot.

But I think we are a LONG way of seeing if this game is going to be GREAT, has great potential, only time and code will tell.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Interesting that different people got a different vibe from Phil's presentation. To me - he was being confident, proud of his product and team, and funny...contextually he was channeling the movie...being a little Waltery...I think because the Dutch guys are kind of polite and reserved, he wanted this reveal to be a fun show - and I think he gave us that. Having spent some time with Phil, I can tell you he's one of the most humble, genuine, nice & smart guys I've ever met. The Dutch team is just so on the ball - they have a unified vision and COLLABORATE...the duties are not segmented - they're in sync and THAT is what's making this game great!

I'm glad you posted your perspective, as I couldn't be there but was disappointed to hear the other viewpoints. hopefully he was just trying to be over the top and maybe got a bit excited and carried away. the last thing we need is another jack-off promoting their own company.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Berserk:

» YouTube video

See that large color display Gary. You need to start putting that in your games.

#75 5 years ago

Maybe this is the wrong thread, but I felt like the rug "bash toy" was messed up on the one prototype I played at Expo... not sure if it was messed up, or I just didn't hit it enough times...

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The two seated guys appeared humble

Phil (the main speaker in the seminar) is their marketing guy. Barry (on the left) is the designer and Jaap (on the right) is the project manager. I get the impression (from what Nate has said on Coast2Coast Pinball) that Barry and Jaap are not so comfortable public speaking in English which is a second language for these guys.

Quoted from iceman44:

I think we are a LONG way of seeing if this game is going to be GREAT

It's very clear to me, right now, that this game is already great, given how they have integrated theme, layout and artwork so far. One thing that came through very well in their presentation is that they are pinball players first and foremost. I think their "immersive pinball" concept (while arguably nothing new) is spot on, pinball should place the player in the world which the game represents. That they understand that is paramount and I believe they are doing that better than anyone else right now.

How good could this game be when complete? I think we are going to finally see a game that can surpass those games of the 90's which have consistently ranked higher than newer games in the various pinball polls. If that happens, we move forward.

#77 5 years ago

I'm about half way through their seminar presentation.

Definitely not impressed with how they went about a lot of it. Especially the beginning. Completely unprofessional. Quite a turnoff actually.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

See that large color display Gary. You need to start putting that in your games.

Start with baby steps like no more peg supports.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Buffpac5:

Maybe this is the wrong thread, but I felt like the rug "bash toy" was messed up on the one prototype I played at Expo... not sure if it was messed up, or I just didn't hit it enough times...

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-113-expo-2014-day-1_28797

Go to 26 min mark. Has to be hit 5 or more times to expose the hole.

#80 5 years ago

As of 5:45, machine #2 had its carpet disabled. The Subway was causing trouble, so, they shut off the rug. The wear and tear of the show will help them find out what still needs work. Great progress thus far. Fun to play.

#81 5 years ago

Another great review from classic video game geeks.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

How good could this game be when complete? I think we are going to finally see a game that can surpass those games of the 90's which have consistently ranked higher than newer games in the various pinball polls. If that happens, we move forward.

I'll take it. Like the ones Pat Lawlor knocked out of the park?

Poor Gary, he just couldn't figure out how to get to that white russian!

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

» YouTube video

He says pinball is an old rich man's hobby. Earlier he said pinball was for people in their 40's to 50's. Then he says he finds it interesting that they chose TBL theme because it's not oriented to that demographic.

Huh?

TBL came out 16 years ago. People who are 46 now would have been 30 years old when it was released etc. TBL wasn't marketed at teenagers.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

ron out all of the bugs and then throw back a few White Russians and drop f-bombs at your presentation.

Yes I love the confidence and I love their talent but the constant f bombs got old. It's ok to drop one once in a while for effect but it started to feel like I was at some college startup biz meeting at a fraternity house.

#85 5 years ago

I haven't watched the presentation yet. So I won't judge it. But I spent a solid 3-4 hours in a closed room with Phil having really intimate conversations, and this guy is the real thing and super smart guy. He may have miscalculated the vibe, or how to channel Lebowski (the f bombs sounds like that) or something else. I'm sure he'll adjust.

What I would say is that don't over judge the company on their first presentation, but man, if you judge on them on their first game (not counting Bride 2.0) then you can't help but be impressed.

I'm trying to figure out if I can swing buying one myself, money where my mouth is!

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't watched the presentation yet. So I won't judge it. But I spent a solid 3-4 hours in a closed room with Phil having really intimate conversations, and this guy is the real thing and super smart guy. He may have miscalculated the vibe, or how to channel Lebowski (the f bombs sounds like that) or something else. I'm sure he'll adjust.
What I would say is that don't over judge the company on their first presentation, but man, if you judge on them on their first game (not counting Bride 2.0) then you can't help but be impressed.
I'm trying to figure out if I can swing buying one myself, money where my mouth is!

I doubt very many would cut off their nose to spite their face by not buying TBL simply because of how cocky/arrogant he came off in the presentation. It was definitely not professional and definitely not needed. The product should do the bragging for them. They should have concentrated solely on their own pin, what they've done and what they plan to do, not slam the competition right out of the gate.

You could hear people in the audience gasp at some of the things he said early on. Some uncomfortable moments.

#87 5 years ago

Did DP say if they were going to attend other shows?

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He says pinball is an old rich man's hobby. Earlier he said pinball was for people in their 40's to 50's. Then he says he finds it interesting that they chose TBL theme because it's not oriented to that demographic.
Huh?
TBL came out 16 years ago. People who are 46 now would have been 30 years old when it was released etc. TBL wasn't marketed at teenagers.

I guess me turning 40 next month means I am a rich old fart for buying a $9K toy according to his calculations...haha.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Had a chance to see TBL in person and flip an early version. I am extremely impressed. The game looks gorgeous, and the shots are fun. The software really isn't much more right now than a few graphics, a few licensed songs, and some random callouts when you hit character shots, but the rolling carpet mech is really cool, and the upper playfield is fun. I wasn't able to get down to the bowling alley during my limited play time.
Overall, the presentation was really very good. It seems like DP really is less interested in making a profit than they are in making a great game, or are at least very shrewd when it comes to positioning themselves as customer-centric. They clearly have a gameplan that will leave themselves in a very good position in this ever-crowded field. The only critique I have for the team moving forward is that they don't want to be too cocky.
I think they know that they're the belle of the ball right now, and that there are a lot of people who are interested in TBL and what the DP team is capable of. But the presentation came off as cocky to the point of being stand-offish, and they took a lot of swipes at their competition during the presentation. Granted, some of it is well-founded, but none of it seemed good-natured. They seemed out for blood.
I'd say to the DP team: let the work speak for itself, and let the customers do the trash talking for you. You don't need to bash Stern and JJP to convince everyone that what you have is the next great thing in pinball. This is a tough business, and you never know when you might need an ally. Put another way, you don't need to point out where your competition falls short to outperform them in the high-end marketplace.

You must have seen the exact same presentation I did.

But apparently I am the only guy that did not hear or pay attention to the "F" words used. So no, they did not, would not bother me.

But I did enjoy the presentation.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I wasn't offended at all. I just would have ditched the "F" word a little is all.

The Stranger: There's just one thing, Dude.
The Dude: And what's that?
The Stranger: Do you have to use so many cuss words?
The Dude: What the fuck you talking about?
The Stranger: Okay, Dude. Have it your way.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Lol I am allowed to say that because I am one. Don't get all bent out of shape, Jew is derogatory Jewish is the proper respectful term and most despise losing money myself included.
Apologies for making a joke about my religion on pinside.

Forgiven

#92 5 years ago

Am I the only one who thought about pulling out the CC to pre-order just to get into the VIP party? I've seen pics, it looked worth it!

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Am I the only one who thought about pulling out the CC to pre-order just to get into the VIP party? I've seen pics, it looked worth it!

It WAS worth it. And then some.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I really like the game a lot but can't justify the price tag, especially after shipping. If this game was $7500 I would be all over it.

For us in Europe this IS a $7500 game. It's priced lower than a current Stern Premium.

For once it's the other way around and we don't have to overpay...

Of course this doesn't help you but you should keep that perspective in mind when judging the game.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

» YouTube video

Don't be too hard on these guys, they mean well and really love pinball, it is just not their main hobby. This is one of my favorite podcasts(Completely Unnecessary Podcast), if you like classic and current video game talk and other Nerdery(comics) it is worth a listen.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

Don't be too hard on these guys, they mean well and really love pinball, it is just not their main hobby. This is one of my favorite podcasts(Completely Unnecessary Podcast), if you like classic and current video game talk and other Nerdery(comics) it is worth a listen.

I subscribe to their YT channel NES Punk. Ian and Pat always make me laugh.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

For us in Europe this IS a $7500 game. It's priced lower than a current Stern Premium.
Of course this doesn't help you but you should keep that perspective in mind when judging the game.

Well said.. for us in Australia its a whisper over a Stern LE when landed and taxes etc.
So those with the $$$'s have choice.. TWD LE or TBL. If my wife would allow a sly $10K to go missing id be bowling with a white Russian on RHS

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

And that is the problem from DP selling a ton more than they already have.

#99 5 years ago

Leeb,
Nope ! Thought about it and then took out the Amex and jumped in Parte'!!!!!!!!!

#100 5 years ago

So, is Woz still the best built, highest quality pin ever? Or, is TBL now afforded that title? Remember, many were saying WoZ was before any were even built.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 43.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 22.50
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside