Topic Stats

• 265 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Euchrid
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Garys_JuicyMellons149.jpg
careful man.jpg
thumb_600.jpg
the_dude1.jpg
make_the_donuts.jpg
political-correctness-voltaire.jpg
PC-7.jpg
dead-horse.gif
92nwBbv.jpg
image-244.jpg
image-943.jpg
walter.jpg
red-bull-stratos.jpg

There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

Had a chance to see TBL in person and flip an early version. I am extremely impressed. The game looks gorgeous, and the shots are fun. The software really isn't much more right now than a few graphics, a few licensed songs, and some random callouts when you hit character shots, but the rolling carpet mech is really cool, and the upper playfield is fun. I wasn't able to get down to the bowling alley during my limited play time.

Overall, the presentation was really very good. It seems like DP really is less interested in making a profit than they are in making a great game, or are at least very shrewd when it comes to positioning themselves as customer-centric. They clearly have a gameplan that will leave themselves in a very good position in this ever-crowded field. The only critique I have for the team moving forward is that they don't want to be too cocky.

I think they know that they're the belle of the ball right now, and that there are a lot of people who are interested in TBL and what the DP team is capable of. But the presentation came off as cocky to the point of being stand-offish, and they took a lot of swipes at their competition during the presentation. Granted, some of it is well-founded, but none of it seemed good-natured. They seemed out for blood.

I'd say to the DP team: let the work speak for itself, and let the customers do the trash talking for you. You don't need to bash Stern and JJP to convince everyone that what you have is the next great thing in pinball. This is a tough business, and you never know when you might need an ally. Put another way, you don't need to point out where your competition falls short to outperform them in the high-end marketplace.

#2 5 years ago

Great to hear the pin is coming along.

I am watching this closely although I'm not currently on the preorder list.

#3 5 years ago

I think the main presenter had a few too many beverages in him.

Get the game out there selling and let it prove itself in the market. It certainly looks cool.

#4 5 years ago

The guy sitting next to Jared (live stream) had way too many drinks in him. Otherwise, thats how DP rolls.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Had a chance to see TBL in person and flip an early version. I am extremely impressed. The game looks gorgeous, and the shots are fun.

The only critique I have for the team moving forward is that they don't want to be too cocky.

I can't wait to see it at the Houston Arcade Expo next month ……

When you see those guys today….just say, in your best John Goodman voice …. "duuuude…you're being verrry un-dude-like….."

HAHA!!

#6 5 years ago

So far DP makes promises and keeps them...if cocky is what you call it then so be it! No regrets being on the preorder list..can't imagine this gem will ship with incomplete code either.

#7 5 years ago

Want to play again today but as of now this is the One to watch and yes maybe buy. If it was 7500 I would have bought it today.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

So far DP makes promises and keeps them

I asked this question in another thread and got no responses. Has BOP 2.0 shipped yet? Is it being delivered at expo? From what I read on pinballnews, they were expected to to ship first quarter 2014.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I asked this question in another thread and got no responses. Has BOP 2.0 shipped yet? Is it being delivered at expo? From what I read on pinballnews, they were expected to to ship first quarter 2014.

Not ready yet.

I'm not saying that DPis doing it wrong. I hopped on preorders day one and my only regret is not ordering two. I'm just saying let the work speak for itself.

#10 5 years ago

Who was the drunk guy in the crowd who thought he was part of the presentation? Please I need to know if this a pinsider and beg him never to drink at a expo again. Sorry but a public shaming is in order for this turd.

I liked Dutch Pinballs attitude and loved their refund policy. Can anyone post a gameplay video, pretty please.

#11 5 years ago

Relax everyone is having fun.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Can anyone post a gameplay video, pretty please.

there's a decent gameplay vid on the TBL layout thread

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

But the presentation came off as cocky to the point of being stand-offish, and they took a lot of swipes at their competition during the presentation.

Sometimes you can play the disruptive upstart card, but pinball is a bunch of old farts (mostly). Not sure how much of an audience there is for that kind of bravado. Doesn't really help to diss the one company that kept the light on for so many years and made this renaissance possible.

Why risk turning off a chunk of your potential market, when it is unnecessary, especially when you are delivering a superior product?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Sometimes you can play the disruptive upstart card, but pinball is a bunch of old farts (mostly). Not sure how much of an audience there is for that kind of bravado. Doesn't really help to diss the one company that kept the light on for so many years and made this renaissance possible.
Why risk turning off a chunk of your potential market, when it is unnecessary, especially when you are delivering a superior product?

Yeah, that bothered me as well. I like the passion and the pride in what they have accomplished so far, but I thought much of the presentation lacked class. When the one guy asked where it would be made, and the response was "our name is Dutch Pinball I'll let you figure the rest out" he could've given a polite response instead of trying to score points off a potential customer.

#15 5 years ago

Just watched Jared's video and I infer they are thinking 6 months for production to start. Did they say how many games a week their factory can produce?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Okay, promises in regards to TBL not BOP 2.0. I would be upset if I was on that preorder too.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Who was the drunk guy in the crowd who thought he was part of the presentation? Please I need to know if this a pinsider and beg him never to drink at a expo again. Sorry but a public shaming is in order for this turd.
I liked Dutch Pinballs attitude and loved their refund policy. Can anyone post a gameplay video, pretty please.

That was my friend
He had an awesome time

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That was my friend
He had an awesome time

Many of us (myself included) have been "that guy". He was just unfortunate enough to have it broadcast all over the interwebz.

#19 5 years ago

There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence. DP is currently walking it well imo, but a misstep or two will certainly unseat them. So far, they haven't really made one wrong turn so I personally still see them as confident.

#20 5 years ago

Wow, just wow....

Most of the posts are focused on the attitude of DP. Their attitude doesn't seem a bit out of place from Stern and JJP. They both have more than dished out their share of arrogance and/or cockiness.

In the end, who cares? Focus on the product not the players. From what I saw, TBL appears to be far superior in finish, flow, theme integration, and innovation than Stern (TWD), JJP (Hobbit) and SkitB (Predator). The pin reminded me of a B/W pin at the top of their game.

If the manufacturers have a 'tude or cratering to the sensibilities of a bunch of Stern or JJP fanboys, so what? I'm not inviting them to dinner or striking up a friendship. I'm looking to buy a fun, high quality pin. And, it appears that this is what TBL is delivering.

#21 5 years ago

Ok then, legit criticism... The LCD is too honkin' BIG, software should be way further along, where are the animations?

#22 5 years ago

i thought you said legit? For a game that isn't shipping for 6 months the software is plenty far along. LCD is the compromise most of the community was wanting (JJP being the too big)

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

In the end, who cares? Focus on the product not the players. From what I saw, TBL appears to be far superior in finish, flow, theme integration, and innovation than Stern (TWD), JJP (Hobbit) and SkitB (Predator). The pin reminded me of a B/W pin at the top of their game.
If the manufacturers have a 'tude or cratering to the sensibilities of a bunch of Stern or JJP fanboys, so what? I'm not inviting them to dinner or striking up a friendship. I'm looking to buy a fun, high quality pin. And, it appears that this is what TBL is delivering.

I care, which is why I posted about it. If I am going to give 10k to a startup company who have yet to deliver a product, I can only judge on the people behind the company. It is all sunshine and rainbows now, but if their manufacturing starts to hit a snag, or machines have quality issues out the gate, are we going to get condecension or support?

My guess is support, I think the guy was just overamped and excited and I am sure they are good folks, but if anyone is fanboying here methinks it is you.

#24 5 years ago

Me like what I have seen so far from the DP boys.
I believe to date they have put together a sound package and there is still 6 months before shipping!
Lots of time to tweak things. Great toys,upper and lower playfield,great music and it can only get better! Very close to putting a preorder in.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Me like what I have seen so far from the DP boys.
I believe to date they have put together a sound package and there is still 6 months before shipping!
Lots of time to tweak things. Great toys,upper and lower playfield,great music and it can only get better! Very close to putting a preorder in.

TAKE THE JUMP! That's like, only my opinion man.
red-bull-stratos.jpg

#26 5 years ago

This seminar impressed the hell out of me. I don't think they were too cocky at all. I like a manufacturer with enthusism and one that believes their product is the best. There were a couple times in his beginning monolog that I damn near jumped up out of my desk chair and yelled "YES" with my fist in the air!!!

And the "buzzed" spectator in the video provided some good humor too..... Wish that was me!

Congrats, DP. Keep it up.

Brian

#27 5 years ago

The difference is that DP promises something and actually delivers the other 2 knuckleheads keep blowing their chances....I mean come on. 9K for a pin that's shoots like FT?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The difference is that DP promises something and actually delivers the other 2 knuckleheads keep blowing their chances....I mean come on. 9K for a pin that's shoots like FT?

So where is BOP 2.0 again?

#29 5 years ago

You should ask the so called license holder....

#30 5 years ago

TBL is a cool looking prototype. Get it working 100%, deliver the pre-orders, iron out all of the bugs and then throw back a few White Russians and drop f-bombs at your presentation. Humility is a rare commodity today in this hobby.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I mean come on. 9K for a pin that's shoots like FT?

Looks like JP and 4x the trolls, nothing new to see here...move along. Oh and was LOTR not enough? Hobbit... just like I did when watching the movie. Sounds like Scooby Doo, I'll get you, you pesky license holders! As they blame their outcomes on being handcuffed. DP on the other hand is refining 5 potential themes and working on what can and cannot be implemented theme wise per copyright holders on their own time before jumping all in on a project.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

TBL is a cool looking prototype. Get it working 100%, deliver the pre-orders, iron out all of the bugs and then throw back a few White Russians and drop f-bombs at your presentation. Humility is a rare commodity today in this hobby.

At this point, DP's prototype looks better than most others' production models, JJP being the only one with a machine that I would contest is better looking (WoZ I mean - Not TH)

#33 5 years ago

Quote I found posted regarding the Pinball News launch party vid:

"Pinball isn't Nam, there are rules! {and the Big Lebowski machine just broke all of them}"

#34 5 years ago

Just got back from TBL VIP party. They tweaked it a bit to let us see all the features. This is the real deal. TBL is a strong contender for top 10, even in alpha. It's that good to flip.

So glad I've been on board. These guys have struck gold.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Just got back from TBL VIP party. They tweaked it a bit to let us see all the features. This is the real deal. TBL is a strong contender for top 10, even in alpha. It's that good to flip.
So glad I've been on board. These guys have struck gold.

Did any TBL Fest attendees flip this game man?

#36 5 years ago

For me TBL is the best all round package to be shown at Expo. Theme keeps me out but that might change when I play one, who knows.

#37 5 years ago

Gary is not impressed lol but I don't care!

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Berserk:

» YouTube video

No he gave a face of any Jewish man about to lose a bunch of money to a competitor. Very tough to have a new kid come into town and absolutely school you. The walking dead is a travesty compared to this. Poor Gary and poor stern, Mustang was a dud and now the zombie game seems to turn a ton off gameplay wise.

Post edited by moderator: Thread eject. Please do not use insults based on race, religion or gender. They have no place on this site.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Berserk:

» YouTube video

I think he was searching for the Wellverine and was disappointed when The Jesus pulled the trigger on Stern till it went click.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

That's an insult to FT

#41 5 years ago

Gary's eyeware is more modified than any of his LE models to date.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

No he gave a face of any Jewish man about to lose a bunch of money to a competitor.

Anti-semite.

walter.jpg
#43 5 years ago

I really want one, played the game at expo and feel it needs a lot of work! Ball hang ups and raw code. The flippers were weak! Clearly it's a work in progress, letting the public see the game at this point was bad. ........

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I really want one, played the game at expo and feel it needs work! Ball hang ups and raw code. The 'upper' flippers were weak! Clearly it's a work in progress, letting the public see the game at this point was badass ........

Fixed that for you

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I really want one, played the game at expo and feel it needs a lot of work! Ball hang ups and raw code. The flippers were weak! Clearly it's a work in progress, letting the public see the game at this point was bad. ........

http://store.orangephotography.com/p328863282/h5d32f73#h1604001a

Bowen says otherwise.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Anti-semite.

walter.jpg 10 KB

Lol I am allowed to say that because I am one. Don't get all bent out of shape, Jew is derogatory Jewish is the proper respectful term and most despise losing money myself included.

Apologies for making a joke about my religion on pinside.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Not ready yet.
I'm not saying that DPis doing it wrong. I hopped on preorders day one and my only regret is not ordering two. I'm just saying let the work speak for itself.

They can be as cocky as they want, if they deliver. It will bite them in the arse if they fail to deliver.

Between DP and Heighway, pinball is finally innovative again.

#48 5 years ago

I really like the game a lot but can't justify the price tag, especially after shipping. If this game was $7500 I would be all over it.

#49 5 years ago

Really think they are going the extra mile for their customers.
Dollar for dollar this is the best new pin at expo that I've seen.

#50 5 years ago

Think about it Panzer. I was on he same page and then looked at the dollar now and where its heading. Honestly the dollar against the euro makes this a 7500 game to them and maybe less if things keep up. Ordering by Sunday gets you chrome trim and the rug. Making it at least 800 less. It's practically free!! : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
€ 3.70
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 21.00
$ 43.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside