(Topic ID: 173608)

Leaves (and Rodents, Fruit, Lawn, Fire, Air Rifles etc.)

By Wickerman2

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Leaves”

• Hate them 28 votes
      42%
    • Love them 9 votes
      13%
    • Smoke them 15 votes
      22%
    • Rake them all and let the flying spaghetti monster sort them out 15 votes
      22%

(67 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

distracted_raking_leaves (resized).jpg
    Black Hole (resized).jpg
    IMG_2306 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1989 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1787 (resized).JPG
    squirreldeath (resized).jpg
    tape (resized).jpg
    garden (resized).jpg
    Squirll (resized).JPG
    Squirrl 11 16 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2012 (resized).PNG
    neighbor (resized).jpg
    IMG_0380 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    Leaves (resized).jpg
    Leavetheleaves (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

I don't mind the leaves, but these guys with their backpacks first thing in the morning really piss me off sometimes.

leaf-blowers-from-marsP1120 (resized).jpgleaf-blowers-from-marsP1120 (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

In my yard, the leaves provide natural mulch and since we don't get much rain it of great benefit as it keeps the ground cool and moist and allows the upper feeder roots to thrive.

#leavetheleaves

Leavetheleaves (resized).jpgLeavetheleaves (resized).jpg

Leaves (resized).jpgLeaves (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

AVOCADOS RAINING FROM THE SKY??!?!?!?!??!?!!

You can thank the squirrels for that. They aren't happy just chewing on one, they feel the need to drop them all. Mostly before they are ready. I guess I should be thankful they leave me a few. Those bastards weren't around until a few years ago.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If they get dropped early like that, will they ripen up and be edible? Or are they ruined?

They are ruined at that point as they won't ripen. Squirrels have become a real nuisance around here and serve no useful purpose that I can see.

When I moved into my house there were two liquid amber trees in the front yard and another next door and it's roots were destroying my driveway so we had them all removed. That's one yearly mess I don't miss especially those little spiky balls it would drop and I turned my ankle and buckled a few times before they were gone. If anybody has this kind of tree near their house it would be wise to have it removed as the roots can do major damage to the foundation.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I have one Ornamental Pear tree in my back yard that waits until mid January to dump the majority of it's leaves in a one week period.

Those are the trees that line our street in the parking area. They are old and some have big limbs that drop at will. I don't have to worry about mine anymore as a tornado (yes tornado) ripped down the street about ten years ago and uprooted and left four of them including mine, laying in the street

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I think those are notorious for snapping limbs fairly easily in storms

I have heard they are diseased, so they are not as strong as they once were, but the city is doing what they can to keep them alive.

I remember that tornado which is very rare around here. I was several miles away picking up some parts when it crossed my path. I couldn't tell what it was but it made a dirt storm out of an empty field I was heading towards, so I turned around and took an alternate route. When I got home those trees were lying in the street as it went right up it, but missed the houses.

#62 7 years ago

this guy shows up last month

I guarantee he's not alone.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Are squirrels rare in southern CA?

I used to see them at the beach climbing around the rocks, but they were never in the inland area I live at now. They must have figured out where all the food and good weather is as they are multiplying faster than you can load a single shot pellet gun.

Little Mo-Fo better keep away from my avocado tree!

GLWT!

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

As someone surrounded by squirrels, may I suggest the bird repellant ribbons.

The neighbors have a bunch of CDs hanging to protect their persimmon tree, but these squirrels just use them as mirrors to groom themselves.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Benjamin marauder ftw. 10 pellet magazine fed bolt action .22cal pellet gun. One charge and 2 magazines and you'll run out of tree rats before you run out of pellets.

That might just work.

squirreldeath (resized).jpgsquirreldeath (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

That is the best way to handle the tree rats.

That's a $600 air rifle. At that price I might just have to start buying avocados at Costco like everybody else.

#71 7 years ago

Screw the avocados, I may invest in that rifle just because of that stupid chirping noise they make at sun-up while sitting on top of the telephone pole after a night when I really don't want to hear it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leaves?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.