3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by curban
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I recently brought home a WPC with a stuck flipper. Turned out to be a bad bushing. I wanted to get the machine working ASAP, but didn’t have the correct replacement. I used a recent stern bushing by opening-up the screw holes and sanding down the height. It’s been working fine.

My Williams bushing from Pinballlife should be arriving today. Should I be in a hurry to replace?

Same question about coil sleeves. I’ve trimmed a few and also put in a few that are slightly short (maybe 1/4”). As long as they’re working well, should they be replaced?

Wondering, in general, pinsiders’ opinions on leaving in hacks. Am I angering the pinball gods? Does this explain all my outlane drains?

#2 3 years ago

Nah, if it's working and isn't too obvious of a hack leave it.

I've forgotten about hacks over the years because they worked forever. Usually at a show or a party and you have to get something up and working vs. having a dead machine. I did eventually replace the .62 connectors on the STTNG guns instead of using toothpicks to hold wires in, but an example of one I left is an EOS on a pinbot that snapped, I grafted another one on and soldered it in place and it lasted for years until I sold the machine and rediscovered it.

#3 3 years ago

if it works - leave it. I do leave a paper in the coinbox of my games on which I note what needs to be done. When the machine gets a next shop job then I can address those issues.

#4 3 years ago

I think what you described is definitely OK. You modified some parts to be suitable for your game, and the game plays as original with those parts.

#5 3 years ago

If it ain't broke...

#6 3 years ago

So it seems that...
    On the upside, I may not have to buy correct parts all the times and fix things twice.
    On the downside, my frequent outlane drains are probably cause I suck at pinball.
    Guess I can live with that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leave-in-a-working-hack-or-replace?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.