4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by keywest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keywest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Today I'm hoping to tackle reassembly of the magic squares unit for my Key West machine. I've read that you should basically soak the leather circles in Neatsfoot oil and then thoroughly clean all oil off before installing. Also - are all components supposed to have the same amount of "slip"? For instance - are the clutches on the main motor shaft supposed to be a little tighter than on the corner units or should they all have about the same tension?

Thanks

#3 4 years ago

OK - got leather clutches figured out and I see that the large spring on the main motor shaft provides the extra pressure (compared to the magic squares) that I would expect to see on the main motor shaft clutches to keep it from spinning.

New question though - rebuilt the magic squares assembly with a new motor and they now rotate nicely the when buttons are pushed.

However - the 21, 3, 17, 7 square is not resetting properly at the beginning of the game. It is basically resetting with what should be the bottom two numbers on top and vice versa - it's 180 degrees off. I must have rotated something on that spindle improperly when I rebuilt it... Any ideas?

THANK YOU !!!

#6 4 years ago

Thank you very much. I think I figured it out.

It appears the wiper shaft can be keyed 180 degrees off. The number wheel has multiple pin holes so I was able to simply re-position the number wheel and now the correct number is showing and payouts appear to be working properly - surprisingly easy fix.

If you have a moment - here's another question for you. I've rebuilt the entire turning squares unit with new motor, cleaned and lightly greased gears and replaced clutches after applying Neatsfoot. Things are working pretty well but a couple of the squares turn the numbers and go 95% of the way to the full stop indent but then don't quite make it all the way. After a few seconds they usually complete the last 3/16ths of an inch of the turn but sometimes they hang and you cannot rotate the numbers again for a good while. Not sure why - but when manually turning the shaft I notice tension increases and it takes a bit more force to turn the shaft as you reach the indent area. Is this just the leather clutch slipping a bit to much?

Thanks!

#8 4 years ago

Hello again and thanks -

I'll take a look at the wiper plate and rivet. Clutches are good - I even covered them in baking soda (a suggestion from the Richard Gerlitz videos) to dry them out and give a little more grip to them prior to reinstalling. This is most noticeable on the B square but is intermittent on all. It may improve as the rebuilt magic squares are broken in - I can live with it so long as it doesn't hang too long before completing the turn. It's usually only a second or two until it clicks over the last little bit and then you can advance the square again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keywest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leather-clutch-lubrication?tu=keywest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.