New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 52351)

Learning what you old EM guys have known all along

By MrWizzo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pafasa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rin-pc.jpg
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2465.JPG

#1 7 years ago

The High Hand I got a couple months ago was really sluggish even cleaned, waxed and with rebuilt flippers. I thought I would try a few things before getting the stronger coils from PBR.

So I backed the return springs off one screw on the pawl for less resistence against the plunger, recleaned the flipper cabinet and EOS switches to make sure there was no pitting. The difference was noticeable and immediate.

Then I found a post about high-tapping the transformer. Did so, and it is like the game is brand new. All mechanisms are crisp. The boost in power must overcome for 40 years of age. It really plays great now. I know there are differences in opinion about doing this.

Sorry Steve, you lost an order.

Now to high-tap my Sure Shot.

Dan

#2 7 years ago

Not everyone likes it, but I've always preferred a high-tapped EM myself.

#3 7 years ago

Depends on the machine to me. Some just need the high tap

--Jeff

#4 7 years ago

I prefer to go in and strip everything down to the bone and clean, clean, clean and wax. Then replace all of the coil sleeves, white posts, guides and rubbers. I also to the flipper bats, plungers and links. If that doesn't make it snappy enough, I go ahead and remove some windings from the pop bumper coils and maybe the slings.

Here is an Outer Space that I recently did for a friend. I picked up the game and was holding it for him and could not resist. I didn't do any coil mods or high tap and it plays snappy as hell.

IMG_2465.JPG IMG_2469.JPG IMG_2470.JPG

#5 7 years ago

Jeff:

Have you found some manufactures' games benefit more than others?

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Depends on the machine to me. Some just need the high tap
--Jeff

The Williams EM I have doesn't need it at all. It is incredibly fast. The High Hand did, and the Sure Shot will benefit, but I will take things step-by-step as I did with the HH.

Picking up a Royal Flush tomorrow. I'll see how that does.

Dan

#6 7 years ago

I really don't get how the crap you guys get EM playfields so stinking shiny. Yes, I've tried novus. You suck.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I really don't get how the crap you guys get EM playfields so stinking shiny. Yes, I've tried novus. You suck.

Don't feel bad. That machine is one of the least worn EMs I have come across. After I stripped the playfield it shined up really nice with some Novus 2 followed by paste wax. Also, the new mylar platters under the pop bumpers always add a nice shine!! This game is really a thing of beauty. It is also fairly rare. I have never played one and all of my friends have been really enjoying it. I hate to see it go. It is leaving tomorrow morning for South Florida.

#8 7 years ago

Dan,
I like it on some of machines but not others.
I think its more the machine title itself and the style of play it has rather than the manufacturer.
Also i find you can greatly change the play by the inclination angle of course. I think most EM were supposed to be set up at 3 degrees but i like mine steeper. Some of the machines were never designed to play at 5 or 6 degrees

Quoted from Frax:

Frax,
Ill drop by sometime and we can make card trix shine like it was brand new. A drill or an orbitor polisher really really helps

--Jeff

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Then I found a post about high-tapping the transformer.

I understand my Joker Poker will come juiced (high-tapped). Nice!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Dan,
I like it on some of machines but not others.
I think its more the machine title itself and the style of play it has rather than the manufacturer.
Also i find you can greatly change the play by the inclination angle of course. I think most EM were supposed to be set up at 3 degrees but i like mine steeper. Some of the machines were never designed to play at 5 or 6 degrees

Frax,
Ill drop by sometime and we can make card trix shine like it was brand new. A drill or an orbitor polisher really really helps
--Jeff

Jeff:

I have the inclination normal for EMs. Still the HH needed more oomph to flip the ball to the top of the playfield with a little speed. I may raise the back up a bit to increase ball speed downward.

What games in your collection do you prefer a more deliberate, slower play?

Dan

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I understand my Joker Poker will come juiced (high-tapped). Nice!

O-din:

You might consider loosening the nuts holding the plastics down, so there is a little give if the ball hits them at higher speed.

Dan

#12 7 years ago

Good advice! But there will be no mercy on the drop targets.

Brian

#13 7 years ago

My big top 64 gottlieb is great fun at its original speed. Royal guard is also fun near orig speed. Compare to my king pin from the mid 70s and that one is much more fun faster imho.

Maybe the pattern is the older the slower.... hmmm

#14 7 years ago

Oh and Brian. I'm super jealous of your em jp. I've always wanted to play one and compare it to my ss version

#15 7 years ago

If your ever in So Cal- look me up! Your welcome to try it.

Also, I think Solar City might benefit from high-tapping.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

My big top 64 gottlieb is great fun at its original speed. Royal guard is also fun near orig speed. Compare to my king pin from the mid 70s and that one is much more fun faster imho.
Maybe the pattern is the older the slower.... hmmm

That is the correlation I was thinking of. I think it may be tied to size of the flipper: smaller-slower; larger-faster.

Dan

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I backed the return springs off one screw on the pawl for less resistance against the plunger, recleaned the flipper cabinet and EOS switches to make sure there was no pitting. The difference was noticeable and immediate.

That helps a lot and costs nothing to boot.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

O-din:

You might consider loosening the nuts holding the plastics down, so there is a little give if the ball hits them at higher speed.

^ That or the rubber slip on holders (rin) for plastics work well combating that.
Pbr sells them. Great for easy bulb replacement.

rin-pc.jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

an Outer Space that I recently did for a friend.

Nice and clean! Outer space is nice player too^ a little weird at the bottom right with just a triangle kicker but you get used to it. my brothers playfield isnt that nice.

#19 7 years ago

I realized the HH's rear levelers was almost to the top, so the extra really helps it upward ball speed.

Did the same basics to the Sure Shot without high tapping, and it plays great now as well. I may raise the rear levelers to increase downward ball speed and see then about high tapping. I do like how it plays now, but will experiment anyhoo.

Dan

#20 7 years ago

How many EM's did you buy with your sale of CCC? I am liking EM and Early SS almost exclusively right now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet Parts
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 3.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Habos Arcade
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.95
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 70.00
Playfield - Plastics
Cobra Amusements
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside