(Topic ID: 173025)

Learning to stop the shop

By Skypilot

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball 002 (resized).jpg
    Pinball 003 (resized).jpg
    Pinball 001 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I run into this issue every time I have a pinball machine in my possession. I find pins I like to restore. If I see another locally at a fair price I will get it and use it as a fallback for board issues or population of the playfield questions. when the restoration is complete I shop the other pin.
    My issue is that I'm selling this pin,all I need to do is clean it up and make it play well. Why can't I just do that ? I tear shit down that does not need to be torn down. Am I the only one who does this? How do you draw the line and say good enough?

#2 7 years ago

Saying "done" is difficult. But there is a strange spot where you need to say it. And it's when the game is fun to play. You are playing a "test" game, and you start playing it like the game is fun. That is the point where you stop.

You can always do more. Heck, even shopping games that are a couple years old you can want to go crazy. But just call it once the game has it's spirit.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I run into this issue every time I have a pinball machine in my possession. I find pins I like to restore. If I see another locally at a fair price I will get it and use it as a fallback for board issues or population of the playfield questions. when the restoration is complete I shop the other pin.
    My issue is that I'm selling this pin,all I need to do is clean it up and make it play well. Why can't I just do that ? I tear shit down that does not need to be torn down. Am I the only one who does this? How do you draw the line and say good enough?

Nothing wrong with that. You have the highest standards as far as your own games go so it's not a surprise you'd go the extra mile to sell a thoroughly shopped machine. I'm sure it's contributed toward having a smooth transaction and a happy buyer. Being a standup guy with an impeccable reputation is priceless.

#4 7 years ago

Even when a game is back together and flipping, there are still a handful of things I want to do to a game. But at some point, enough is enough or no other projects will get done.

#5 7 years ago

Example: This pin is pre-sold to a non pinball family. All it needsto do is play well. Its filthyPinball 001 (resized).jpgPinball 001 (resized).jpgPinball 003 (resized).jpgPinball 003 (resized).jpgCan't stop..............

#6 7 years ago

I want any game I take apart to play as good as possible when I'm done no matter if I plan to sell it or not. Because I still plan to play it, and I like my games to play real good.

#7 7 years ago

I could throw more wood in the fire and offer you the scans I did for the cabinet LOL

#8 7 years ago

Don't stop. To many people find a good deal clean the glass and add a grand to the price for resale. Your games probably bring long lasting problem free enjoyment. Your way should be the norm. Keep up the great work.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I could throw more wood in the fire and offer you the scans I did for the cabinet LOL

Those would go on this baby

Pinball 002 (resized).jpgPinball 002 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

You, me, and a lot of people here truly want the next owner to enjoy the machine. I do not want to sell anyone a headache. We try to make a pin as nice as our individual talents allow.....
    I wish I had more talent.....

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

I do not want to sell anyone a headache.

I totally agree, but my question is where is that line of this is good enough.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I totally agree, but my question is where is that line of this is good enough.

-Everything cleaned, metal de-rusted & polished, playfield waxed.
    -Electronics repaired, any known game/system issues bulletproofed, any hacks undone and fixed properly.
    -Coil sleeves replaced, bad plungers & coil stops replaced, flippers rebuilt, broken/ugly parts replaced, bulbs replaced, displays repaired/replaced, new balls installed
    -Cosmetics addressed, minor touch-ups, flaking backglass sealed
    -Plays without problems

Anything else I'm missing from that quick list?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Everything cleaned

Wire harness ? Do I pull it ? Boards, do I wash them? Guides, do I grain them? Where does it end. Several years ago a bit of cleaning and repair was enough. Then I started stripping the playfield top. Now I'm practically rebuliding the game .

#14 7 years ago

I would buy a game from you anytime if you would ever sell me one

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Wire harness ? Do I pull it ? Boards, do I wash them? Guides, do I grain them? Where does it end. Several years ago a bit of cleaning and repair was enough. Then I started stripping the playfield top. Now I'm practically rebuliding the game .

I wash the boards in ever shop job I complete...helps make rebuilding them easier and cleaner!
    Also gut the the cabinet and clean/ultrasonic/tumble all cabinet parts.
    Topside and underside basically stripped and same clean/ultrasonic/tumble.
    Only step that I stop at is removing the underside wire harness...just hand clean it, inserts and all coils.

Great example of how everyone's "shopjob" varies. Great work sky

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

-Everything cleaned, metal de-rusted & polished, playfield waxed.
    -Electronics repaired, any known game/system issues bulletproofed, any hacks undone and fixed properly.
    -Coil sleeves replaced, bad plungers & coil stops replaced, flippers rebuilt, broken/ugly parts replaced, bulbs replaced, displays repaired/replaced, new balls installed
    -Cosmetics addressed, minor touch-ups, flaking backglass sealed
    -Plays without problems
    Anything else I'm missing from that quick list?

Flatten, clean plastics.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Depends on what the end goal is.

Radical #1 I got because in trade because it was valued low.
    Radical #2 I was told was a proto and was nice so I traded for it.

Once I template the ramp from 1 to create a replacement for 2 it gets a normal shop and its out the door after cherry picking parts. Number 2 will get titans, leds, and converted to a true proto, but its only to play for the time being. The dp pf has inserts chipped that I want restored, but cannot fork out kruzman level money for the time being so it will stay like that for a year or so.

If I were able to afford the pf, 2 would get new coil sleeves, all coils would be run through an ultrasonic, everything rebuilt. No sense in doing all that right now though.

#18 7 years ago

I see a lot of people remove the entire wire harness so it can be 100% cleaned.
    That is one spot I draw the line at.
    I just put a towel behind the harness, spray with some degreaser and wipe them clean.
    They look great afterwards and I could care less if a little dirt is in the areas that are zip tied.

I also repaint black coin doors without sanding or stripping off the old paint.
    I don't even remove the orange coin inserts. Just mask them off with painters tape and spray.
    The doors look great and you would need a flashlight and magnifying glass to tell other wise.

I'm sure I just made a lot of restorers gasp. lol.

#19 7 years ago

Skypilot, I really like what you've done with the orange on that playfield. Looks beautiful!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

No,no gasp here. This is a thread about where to stop on a shop of a pin intended for sale as" Shopped". If you were doing a restoration and left the wire harness on that would be different.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

Skypilot, I really like what you've done with the orange on that playfield. Looks beautiful!

Thanks,looking forward to completing that one.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

I admit, I gasped.

My question is, why even do it if you are not going to do it right? I dnot mean that as a dig. Just that I see no reason to even paint the coin door at all if you are not going to prep it correctly to start. It is one of those things where the job is made harder for the next person so better off to just not do it at all IMO.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I admit, I gasped.
    My question is, why even do it if you are not going to do it right? I dnot mean that as a dig. Just that I see no reason to even paint the coin door at all if you are not going to prep it correctly to start. It is one of those things where the job is made harder for the next person so better off to just not do it at all IMO.

Because I do it for me. Not the other person.
    When I'm working on my games the wiring harnes will always get your hands filthy if not cleaned.
    That bothers me so I clean them. Fast and easy.
    You would be amazed how clean the wires will get by simply getting a towel wet with cleaner and wiping them.
    I would put the inside of my pins up against the ones that have been totally removed and the difference is just nothing my head would worry over.
    I get compliments all the time when people get to see under the hood.
    But everyone is different. If taking all that time is worth it to you then by all means go for it.

And I don't see how not cleaning the wires at all or painting a bad looking door at all helps in any way.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My question is, why even do it if you are not going to do it right

Again,whats right? I'm selling the pin ,they probably won't even lift the hood.

#25 7 years ago

Currently Between Stage 2 and 3.

Stage 2

- Now, its "Hey, this is even better than I remember....."

- Buying spree begins, dependent on monetary funds

- The new collector starts buying machines that do not work, are missing parts, etc.
    to save money, or to finance buying more machines

- Collector has to start justifying his actions to his family and wife

- Machines start taking up places in the house that they should not be

- Collector begins thinking about building a "game room" (seriously)

Stage 3

- The new collector realizes he might be over his head technically, as he looks around
    and sees how many broken machines he owns, and frantically is looking for parts,
    his technical skills continue to improve as a result

- He starts to begin the enjoy the aspect of restoring machines more than play or collecting

- Begins to sell several machines, to purchase other games that have more overall collector appeal

- He / she begins to final his / her "Most Wanted List"

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

This is why I pretty much stopped doing anything other than full blown restoration work.
    It is really hard to do lesser versions even when that would be perfectly acceptable .

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

This is why I pretty much stopped doing anything other than full blown restoration work.
    It is really hard to do lesser versions even when that would be perfectly acceptable .

I'm beginning to understand that. I really don't wish to stop but if I continue I'm just wasting time and effort. I look at every piece and say ,well that's not good enough.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Again,whats right?

To me, "not right" is doing anything that would make it tougher/impossible for someone else to fix in the future.

For example, we have a guy in town that constantly flips games and he likes to "clean" them up, flame polish (i.e. melt) ramps and plastics, and clearcoat (rattle can clear over junk and dust and often mylar).

Things that make the next persons job harder are not right.

Aside from that, do what ever you feel comfortable with.

I have gotten into refurbishing games for some locals on occasion and in general that means fully rebuilding and cleaning everything, but stopping short of touchups and art stuff.

For my games I go the distance, but for others mechanically functioning, clan, and solid playing is the goal.

#29 7 years ago

For a game you're not keeping and plan to sell, clean the top completely, clean inserts, make it work 100%. Everything else is secondary.

The only exception is to get experience doing something you haven't done before, or if doing that extra bit will double your sale price.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Don't forget to clean all of those specs you can see on the playfield glass!

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Everything else is secondary.

I need to embrace and clarify that!

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Don't forget to clean all of those specs you can see on the playfield glass!

Love -it

#33 7 years ago

I think you do everything that makes the game more reliable and all the simple cosmetic stuff. Especially if it's going to a non-pinhead. No re-graining, clean but don't pull the harness, clean and touch up the cabinet instead of decals, only replace broken PF parts as opposed to replacing just cuz new is shiny, etc. Reliability improves when boards are cleaned and serviced, normal wear parts are replaced, connectors,etc, etc. Above all, every bit of dirt needs to be removed from the PF top and bottom as well as the cab. This alone requires a full tear down.
    This is what I just did with my LAH and I'm happy with it. I usually restore everything I get but I didn't feel this pin needed it. Plus I had never played it. Didn't know if I was going to like it. I do.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/learning-to-stop-the-shop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.