Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chisel_vs_conical (resized).png
    454d9641c7f3e79e687543e09872c921_put-that-blowtorch-down-it-aint-cool-to-burn-bridges-jeff-blowtorch-meme_625-375 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shootforslrvalue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 6 years ago

Posting so others can learn from my mistakes. I'm pretty bummed and embarrassed about it, but hopefully it'll save someone trouble later.

I had my Hakko 808 desoldering gun at about 700° and I was having a really hard time getting the U2 IC out of a Bally SDU-100. I couldn't get all of the solder off of the component side. I added solder back and tried again to no avail. Ended up turning up the heat and trying to leave the gun on the pads a little longer to try and help more heat transfer to that other side to get the solder to get sucked through.

Ultimately, I lost a couple pads on the solder side and pulled a trace on the component side and I'm not sure where to go from here. Kills me because I was on the verge of fixing my first board from it being completely shot and I pulled this crap.

Moral of the story: don't rush, and stop if something isn't working instead of trying to force it to happen.

#43 6 years ago

Well, this gets better.

So I bought Stars, Seawitch, and Lectronamo as projects. They'd been sitting untouched for god knows how long. Anyhow, I started looking at the Lectronamo board to see what it looked like... ironically all of the U1, U2, and U3 chips were missing... and the trace and pads from the component side of U2 pin 12 to pin 18 is completely gone! What in the hell am I supposed to do with that? I looked at the stitch method, but there's no trace for the wire to hold onto! This board is a total mess- flux everywhere, shoddy solder work. I'm sure this was being used for parts.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

If the board was unobtainable, it is possible to repair with solid wire jumpers, but you have to be meticulous about following all the connections using the schematics. I've saved a large number of boards, but this is a case where replacing the board is your best option.

I was looking over the schematic, and it looks like Pin 12 and Pin 18 both go to ground. So just for education's sake, would it not make sense to jumper those two pins together?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shootforslrvalue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/learning-to-solder-temperatures?tu=shootforslrvalue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.