Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chisel_vs_conical (resized).png
    454d9641c7f3e79e687543e09872c921_put-that-blowtorch-down-it-aint-cool-to-burn-bridges-jeff-blowtorch-meme_625-375 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jam_Burglar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago

There's been lots of discussion about this on KLOV and I've always heard 650 for PCBs (apparently that's what is recommended by Pace). That's what I've always used with no issue although I imagine you could go higher on switches and coils.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

There are a lot of variables as far as that goes. What type of component is being soldered, type of tip and solder. You might start as low as 650F for small surface components, and bump that up to 750F to pump heat into a thru-hole joint quickly. Large heat sinks such as regulator tabs to a large plane might require 850F.
    One might think the lowest possible temp is best, but you also have to consider how long you have to leave the iron on the joint. If your temp is too low and you have to leave your iron on the joint too long, that's a good way to delaminate a trace or pad.

That sounds about in line with what I've read. I actually found the post on KLOV I was referring to and here's the quote (talking about arcade PCBs mind you, not larger components)

"I also run my irons at 650F for both soldering and desoldering. This is what was drilled into my head when I was at a multi-day Pace soldering/rework training class back in the mid-90s.

If you run over 700F the tips will turn colors and their life will be drastically shortened. Also, using a wet sponge will thermally shock the tip and cause small fractures in the plating. This leads to tip failure where you eventually get pits and chunks missing out of it. It also leads to the oxidation where the tip won't wet with solder, but rather have it ball up on the surface. This prevents the heat transfer from the tip required to do proper soldering of a joint.

Get a good, temperature controlled soldering station. Run it at no more than 650F and use the brass ball to clean the gunk from the tip. Put a bit of solder on it before putting it away for the longest life from the tip."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jam_Burglar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/learning-to-solder-temperatures?tu=Jam_Burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.