3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rufessor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

slip.png
    no.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Yesterday I drove out to the middle of nowhere - about an hour and a half drive - to check out a six game bulk deal that had a couple of semi-desirable titles, but terrible photos on the ad.

The games turned out to be in pretty bad shape - some of them missing the backs of the cabinet completely - but a couple might be savable, and all of them might be worth the parts.

The price was $500 CAD (about $300US) for all of it and I passed. It was incredibly difficult to say "no thanks" because I really wanted a couple of the games and could use more parts, but both time and space are at a premium for me right now. It was really hard to drive away empty handed.

Anyone else have trouble saying "NO"?

#3 3 years ago

Yup, I drove 3 hours total to see a Diner that i was told worked great and was nice. Turned out it had 9 switch errors, wrong parts installed and didn't work right. Also was filthy and had a playfield that was not great. Pics looked good but then again don't they all. I turned around and left after i fixed 6 of the switch problems going through it. The guy told me "Thanks for fixing it" but that was it. Ugh i really wanted Diner just not in that condition. Oh Well.....

#4 3 years ago

I've made several 3+ hour trips each way only to come home empty handed. It's better to walk away from a purchase than to "settle" for something that doesn't meet my standards. It was just a matter of time before I ran across a much better deal for the same title.

The most important thing I've learned in this hobby is to have patience.

#5 3 years ago

For 5 Hundy, that would be very hard to say no!

#6 3 years ago

Haven't come home empty handed yet But I do miss out on deals all the time

Even if you didn't want the other pins, the price was probably cheap enough where you might have been able to flip them quickly.

#7 3 years ago

I never got this? Why change someone else's game in any way? I can't think of a single reason to. Wouldn't you be worried that the piece of junk your looking at breaks in other ways while your fixing switches and then the seller blames you?

Quoted from thadawkins:

I turned around and left after i fixed 6 of the switch problems going through it.

#8 3 years ago

6 games for $500 = Yes

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I never got this? Why change someone else's game in any way? I can't think of a single reason to. Wouldn't you be worried that the piece of junk your looking at breaks in other ways while your fixing switches and then the seller blames you?

I wanted to be thorough and make sure i knew what was wrong with it so i diagnosed the problems and figured why not fix them. I really wanted to buy it and I was looking for some kind of redeeming quality to convince myself to get it. In the end I didn't haggle and just left. The guy didn't even know how to get into the diagnostic menu even though he had like 9 pins.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Not since they took away my drugs back in the 80s.
    no.jpg

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yes.

#12 3 years ago

I checked out a Getaway at an estate sale a couple weeks ago that was only 1/2 hour away, looked great for $1k so I didn't look more closely. Came back with cash the next day for a closer look. The cabinet was in worse condition than I remembered (scrapes on head and faded decals), the diamondplate pf that looked great in a dimly lit room showed some wear after all, and there were numerous switch and solenoid errors and missing/broken plastics. To top it off, the MPU showed some serious acid damage. At $1k it still wasn't a bad deal but I wanted a game I could plug in & play right away, so it was a tough decision but I passed (thanks go to Crispin for his help). Made it easier to pass on one in the future, too, now that I learned I can say no. Someone else here picked it up so at least it's getting enjoyed by a Pinsider.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

6 games for $500 = Yes

I'm not talking fully complete, working games here. I'm talking games missing the back of the lower cabinet, or having had the head ripped off leaving the bottom board in place, or having a playfield so worn you wonder if it's a whitewood. That have been stored in a tent outside.

I mean, if I had the space to spare I might have gotten them for parts. But I don't so I just had to pass. A friend of mine who does have space might get them, though.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Even if you didn't want the other pins, the price was probably cheap enough where you might have been able to flip them quickly.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm talking EMs here, one of them a Faces. A Stern ALI. An El Dorado with no head. It would be a ton of work to move the wrecks, then dealing with storing them until I could find someone willing to take one or two at a time...

#15 3 years ago

It is difficult to turn away a game. I went to look at a Target Pool that was in way worse shape than I had anticipated. Probably could have taken it away for $50, but decided against it. Another guy a couple hours away got it and has done a pretty nice restore, albeit limited. It was a game he'd played as a kid so I'm glad I said no. That and I didn't need more projects. I've said no a couple other times, once I changed my mind and went back a couple weeks later to get the machine. I enjoyed it for a while and it's gone now.

Now, patience, that's really something I should work on...

#16 3 years ago

I passed on a Sorcerer. Nice backglass, beat to hell playfield. The guy wanted $1000 and asked what I thought it was worth. I told him he'd probably get $500, but I was looking for something nicer, so I left with a handshake. That was only an hour's drive away, though.

I had $1000 in my pocket and permission to buy a game, so I swung by an op's warehouse nearby to try my luck there. I came home with a nice X's and O's instead.

#17 3 years ago

My garage is slowly filling with games as I keep buying and have problems saying no if price is right. Need to sell some projects soon.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm talking EMs here, one of them a Faces. A Stern ALI. An El Dorado with no head. It would be a ton of work to move the wrecks, then dealing with storing them until I could find someone willing to take one or two at a time...

Ah, a pile of parts, basically. That's a bit different.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I had $1000 in my pocket and permission to buy a game

Did you have a signed permission slip?
    slip.png

#20 3 years ago

I rented a trailer for 5 days and drove 10 hours up to NY instead of flying for Thanksgiving to look at a TX-Sector project. I was still prepared to say no if it was blown out

Quoted from swampfire:

I had $1000 in my pocket and permission to buy a game, so I swung by an op's warehouse nearby to try my luck there. I came home with a nice X's and O's instead.

I always look at what's for sale along the way to see if I can make any last minute deals so I don't come home empty handed

#21 3 years ago

I've said no a bunch of times even if the price was cheap. Passed many good deals on to other people. If I couldn't find someone else to take the game I usually went back and got just so it wouldn't end up in the dump. But that was a long time ago.

#22 3 years ago

I think being able to say "no" is part of the maturation process when acquiring pinball as a hobby. I just went out and looked at a 1977 Williams em last weekend. Was told it had a minor glitch. Well it had a lot more than that. Guy wanted $450. He said just talent away for $175. I told him no thank you. Too much work for a title that was not a big name to my knowledge. Cabinet was structurally poor and the entire machine needed to be gone through

I like others have a very definitive amount of spec for this sickness of acquiring games. I am at my space limit now but am always looking for that one that would be worthwhile to me. The days of taking just about anything though are unfortunately gone unless I move into a barn!!

G

#23 3 years ago

I went on 5 different road trips, trying to buy a Whirlwind.

On the 5th trip, I finally found a nice one.

After putting over 120 hours into it, it looks fantastic!

I'm SO glad I passed on the others.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

My garage is slowly filling with games as I keep buying and have problems saying no if price is right. Need to sell some projects soon.

What do you have? I'm looking for a project pin for the winter.

#25 3 years ago

I've been playing with pins for about 7 or 8 years now. Always loved the "hunt". Pretty tough these days but once in a while something pops up that you just have to go and take a look at. Walked away from a Jokerz today that I could of had for $650. Not a screaming deal but if it was in good shape, what the heck, eh? The guy that was selling was loosing his house...his electricity had just been turned off....was sitting in an unheated garage for God knows how long. The playfield was in good shape but the upper mini playfield was very discolored and had some cracks and breakage. That mini playfield is another one of those injection molded ones and simply not available. Didn't bother to look in the back box at the boards...just thanked him and told him he should probably arrange some power for the next guy.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've been playing with pins for about 7 or 8 years now. Always loved the "hunt". Pretty tough these days but once in a while something pops up that you just have to go and take a look at. Walked away from a Jokerz today that I could of had for $650. Not a screaming deal but if it was in good shape, what the heck, eh? The guy that was selling was loosing his house...his electricity had just been turned off....was sitting in an unheated garage for God knows how long. The playfield was in good shape but the upper mini playfield was very discolored and had some cracks and breakage. That mini playfield is another one of those injection molded ones and simply not available. Didn't bother to look in the back box at the boards...just thanked him and told him he should probably arrange some power for the next guy.

PPS, BAA and pinballlife has the upper PF now.

#27 3 years ago

PPS and BAA have the upper PF decal as well

Ya might want to take a 2nd look at that Jokerz.

#28 3 years ago

Heck for $650 I would take it. Wish it were closer. Damn!!

G

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

PPS, BAA and pinballlife has the upper PF now.

DOH!!! Still glad I passed on it.. I've got more than I want to handle right now.

#30 3 years ago

I picked up a NICE documented HUO Jokerz about 8 months ago....it's a fun game. Love the artwork on it.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yesterday I drove out to the middle of nowhere - about an hour and a half drive - to check out a six game bulk deal that had a couple of semi-desirable titles, but terrible photos on the ad.
    The games turned out to be in pretty bad shape - some of them missing the backs of the cabinet completely - but a couple might be savable, and all of them might be worth the parts.
    The price was $500 CAD (about $300US) for all of it and I passed. It was incredibly difficult to say "no thanks" because I really wanted a couple of the games and could use more parts, but both time and space are at a premium for me right now. It was really hard to drive away empty handed.

Its difficult to but ive drove up to 4 hours away and said no bc the price was to high for the condition .

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Its difficult to but ive drove up to 4 hours away and said no bc the price was to high for the condition .

Been there...done that on way too many occasions.

#33 3 years ago

how bad was the Ali?

still available?

#34 3 years ago

Given the supply/demand correlation we have in the Southern Ontario corridor, the OP is right in saying that it's hard to walk away. Stay strong, brother. ✊

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

6 games for $500 = Yes

Spoken like a true Antipodean. These North Americans have no idea how lucky they are. At least in pinball terms.

#36 3 years ago

Every time I've said no, it opened the door for a choice I was happy with. Most recently passed on a $300 Surf Champ with a 'new' backglass. Seller was the owner's son. He took really good pictures of a blown out game, and the new backglass was new to the game, but not new at all. About two weeks later picked up my holy grail EM, Target Alpha.

#37 3 years ago

Im currently building a 6k+ dr who from scratch. I have a problem saying no to making it a perfect high end restore and it's costing me big. Hopefully when i play a game of this quality level I'll understand.

#38 3 years ago

The problem I have is....I see a neglected pin, and feel sorry for the damn thing. I figure....yeah, I can bring it back to life. Then I always go over-board and buy every replacement part that's available in order to get to to play the best that I can.

Yeah....I need counseling......LOL

#39 3 years ago

I went to see a game that was ok in the pics, but when I got there it was in much worse condition than the pics showed. I was originally hoping he left a little wiggle room in the price for negotiation. Then when I looked it over I wasn't certain I wanted to pay even that much for it. When he was rock solid on the price, that pretty much ended it for me.

#40 3 years ago

I recently was on a WW hunt. Found one not only in my price range but also in my home town where my parents still are 5 min down the road. Was described as fully working and pretty much just needing of a cleaning of the cloud topper.

Go to see it... on one of the nicest streets in one of the most desirable towns in MA and it was a disaster. Upon seeing it I learn it has a resetting issue on multiball. Sure enough I get to it and it happens. He says it's probably a bridge rectifier and an easy fix. I then get it to happen on the next game when the storm comes. Red flags starting to show. My no brainer purchase now has some brains.

Then I start to inspect the cabinet. Why does this WW look greenish? Must be the lighting. What's this hardened dripping under the side rails? Oh god. The owner used some sort of spray laquer to try to preserve the cabinet not knowing it would dry with a yellow tint and very blue + faint yellow = greenish.

Had one of my favorite pins 5 min from the SUV I need to move it within my price range and I had to walk. Sucks saying no. Also sucks seeing one of your favorite pins covered in yellow laquer.

#41 3 years ago

Ive done it numerous times. Not one regret. I do have many regrets about games I purchased when I should have passed.

#42 3 years ago

Ive learnt to say no to every Ebay pin. They always end in disappointment.

#43 3 years ago

I've never bought from e-pay...and don't plan on it.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Why does this WW look greenish? Must be the lighting. What's this hardened dripping under the side rails? Oh god. The owner used some sort of spray laquer to try to preserve the cabinet not knowing it would dry with a yellow tint and very blue + faint yellow = greenish.

Paging Cody Chunn I kid, I kid.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

how bad was the Ali?

Backglass was pretty much completely peeled from being in a non-climate-controlled shipping container. It was complete but the playfield was totally blown out. Boards looked decent enough.

I passed the "deal" on to others who might have more space and time than I do, or might be crazy enough to try and fix those games up and lose a ton of money. I expect it'll all be gone by the weekend.

#46 3 years ago

I say "No" far more often that yes. I bet I have looked at at least 5 games for every one I purchase. And I try hard to screen before driving anywhere- its just part of the game. I actually enjoy getting myself all psyched up to go find a gem, and the fact that its usually not a gem just makes it even better when you find a game that is exactly what you wanted at a good price. To me, if it always worked out and all the games were what I wanted, somehow, the whole process would not be nearly as fun- it would be too easy. I love the hunt, it takes so damn long to restore them that it actually works out well to have to look hard to find them- my garage is all ready full....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.50
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside