5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by JustinJohnson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

I'm a slow player because I have to trap the ball to make shots.
    When i try to shoot on the fly its like I miss 95% instead of 25%.
    By getting better with drop catches also different speed on rolling balls come into play.
    And its always the question for me if i should trap the ball after catching it to make a save shot,
    or let it freely roll back to the flipper and keep missing but eventually getting better at it some day.

I also noticed the importance of this skill in multiball. You have no time there, and making shots can make all the difference.
    I want to overcome my plateau.
    How did you do it, and how do you deal with this risk(fun) vs safe(boring) shot issue?

#2 5 months ago

I mainly play on the fly, as especially at home, I find it boring to trap up all of the time.

As for practice it's basically all about timing. Find a shot with a consistent-ish feed. I use the left orbit on IMdn which feeds the ball round down to the right flipper. Then make your shot on the fly. With a bit of practice you should be able to hit the spinner, orb target or ramp regularly.

Being able to play on the fly opens up some other shots as well which cannot be made from a cradle, backhanding on the fly allows looping the orbits on AFM, JM or similar. Ball goes round the right loop, dead bounce off the left flipper then on the fly backhand back round the right orbit.

Once you play like this long enough you'll find that you can make shots when the ball isn't initially touching the flipper (from a cradle or an inlane feed) more accurately, which helps in multiballs.

In multiballs, especially during initial ball save period, go for your shots. I tend not to aim to trap up specifically, rather if an opportunity presents itself to trap up I take it.

To improve your overall scores you can't focus on just one strategy or skill, you need to be proficient in as many as possible. The true skill comes in knowing when to implement them.

#3 5 months ago

I mainly meant shots from the inlane feed, which seems to be consistent in speed (Ghostbusters Pro; left ramp leading into right inlane feed).
    Loopin Super mode is a good example for this. I always have to trap the ball.

The backhanding on the fly from dead bounces work quite good if the machine is set in the right angle (8°).
    But shooting loops on the fly without the dead bounce is again very hard.

#4 5 months ago

It's just about practice - nothing else.

Shooting anything from an inlane feed should be almost as easy as shooting from a cradle

#5 5 months ago

The "real" fun while playing pinball comes from hitting your desired shot(s) on the fly. Yes, it takes alot of practice but as your ability increases so will your enjoyment.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

The "real" fun while playing pinball comes from hitting your desired shot(s) on the fly. Yes, it takes alot of practice but as your ability increases so will your enjoyment.

And the fastest way to get there is to shoot as much as possible on the fly?
    Or how do you practice those shots?

#7 5 months ago

I have played "on the fly" this way my whole life. I do sometimes cradle but rarely as I shoot better if I just keep the ball moving.

#8 5 months ago

Training for multiball play is all about patience. Always have balls trapped up. When you shoot one away, never shoot the other until they are both secure again. This leads to longer more controlled multiballs, and also prevent the ever frustrating simudrainious events.

#9 5 months ago

I'm not a big "on the fly" player, if the balls are flying then you are not in control. Some games will brutally punish you for letting things get away from you. My Time Machine is very nasty in this respect, once the speed is up the ball is zipping around at such high speed a drain is almost guaranteed in seconds. It is a game that needs to be played in a methodical manner if you want a consistent & decent score or else .

Sometimes I do play for "just the hell of it" and other times there is a lot of cradling and passing of the ball. Depends on what sort of mood I'm in that day when I press the button. Sometimes the gods of pinball smile upon you and other times just laugh regardless how you play.

#10 5 months ago
    Quoted from Prodoshi:

And the fastest way to get there is to shoot as much as possible on the fly?
    Or how do you practice those shots?

Game play, lots of it.
    Get to know your games angles and flipper timing.
    It may take awhile but it will come. Shoot, just play and enjoy the ride.
    I am no expert or tourney contestant, just a pin player who enjoys a good flow. Yeah, I trap and pass sometimes, but for the most part I let 'er rip!

#11 5 months ago

Always try to look/glance at the shot before shooting. My hand-eye coordination isn't great but it still makes a big difference. Seems obvious but it's easy to get fixated on the flippers.

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Always try to look/glance at the shot before shooting. My hand-eye coordination isn't great but it still makes a big difference. Seems obvious but it's easy to get fixated on the flippers.

Whatever works!

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Seems obvious but it's easy to get fixated on the flippers.

To be honest when I get multi-ball I rarely look up from the flippers. I just concentrate on the balls as they come near the flippers cause if I look up to follow any or site a shot, yep drain one!

1 week later
    #14 4 months ago

I have the opposite problem I tend to suck at cradling although I will say that Black Knight Sword of Rage (LE) has taught me to learn how to cradle, obviously lol. Once I learned that my score quadrupled and it went from being a pain in my ass to one of my most favorite pins. Now after a good game adrenaline gets flowing and bam. However even on Black Knight if I know my ball save is still lit I will go back to my on the fly play it helped me to get loop and u turn champion at our local barcade.

One game does come to mind for learning how to play more on the fly Fish Tales just find that one out in the wild and put in a bunch of games, although that may not work because those on the fly shots are just for fishtales. I dunno man its kind of mind set I guess sometimes I step up to the pin and look at my flipper like a bat and the pinball a baseball and just CRUSH the ball. I try just not to overthink anything and let it flow. But yeah the basics apply for multiball one ball save goes away I'm usually a little more careful but not all the time. Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars are also good examples of games you could learn to play on the fly.

Not sure if that helps or not but just my 0.02

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 64.99
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 269.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside