Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by scooter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you go about learning a games rules?”

• By playing 32 votes
      48%
    • Reading rule sheets 25 votes
      37%
    • Youtube 3 votes
      4%
    • Rules??? I just shoot at the blinking lights 7 votes
      10%

(67 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, just wondering how most of you go about learning the rules to a new pin? I am a newb, and pretty much every pin is new to me. I would like to know if there are any tricks to picking up a games rules faster.

#2 11 years ago

Combination of reading and playing. Playing you can learn a ton. Reading on placers like pinball news can help you learn what might be added to game later maybe if the code gets done possibly.

If you're lucky.

#3 11 years ago

Play it.

I don't read the cards or the walk throughs or anything else for something new. I just play it, and learn it as much as I can. After I'm very accustomed to it, I may take a look at everything else to see what I'm missing, but doing that first to me feels like cheating myself a little.

#4 11 years ago

Half the fun is playing a game without knowing the rules, so I don't usually read up on them

#5 11 years ago

I usually play a bit first, then refer to the rule sheet. I have found I have a better understanding of the rules when I'm relatively familiar with the layout and how the shots work...in the end I still stuck

#6 11 years ago

VPin. Or now Pinball Arcade. Great lengthy explanation of rules on that one.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from dieseldogpi:

I usually play a bit first, then refer to the rule sheet. I have found I have a better understanding of the rules when I'm relatively familiar with the layout and how the shots work...in the end I still stuck

Same here. I'll play it (a lot) first to become familiar with the layout of the playfield then read up on the rule set. That way I'll know what is being referenced on the playfield. If I just read shoot the left lower ramp 3 xs to do something I’ll know in my mind’s eye what that actually is. Otherwise it’s forgotten about instantly. Mind like a goldfish I guess.

#8 11 years ago

Combination of reading and playing and youtube\papa videos

#9 11 years ago

Most of the time when I watch a Papa video, they play it in a way that I find monotonous. Yes, yes, it is great to score high but most of my higher scores are accidents that coincide with going deep in to "beating" a game.

I don't play for score, I play for accomplishments.

However, in answering the topic question, I play...then after I think I have it down, I may watch a Papa tutorial to see what I am missing...

#10 11 years ago

when I first play a game, I'm usually just getting the feel for where shots can go. I usually learn as I go. If I really want to fully understand a game, I may search for a youtube video, or just read the instruction card.

#11 11 years ago

I have not been able to play alot of games because I was never into pins as a teen and location play is mostly dead. I was in a pin golf tourney at the Louisville Expo and was able to do pretty decent based off of the PAPA tutorials and gameplay vids. I knew what to exploit on what games, etc. They are definitely a great resource along with rulesheets.

#12 11 years ago

I usually play a couple of games first to get a feel for it before I read the rule card. I then focus on each of the rules/shots to learn them.

#13 11 years ago

Play for a while then download rules

#14 11 years ago

I guess we all go about it pretty much the same. Thanks for the response guys.

#15 11 years ago

Playing, a lot. If there is something I can't figure out I will look online. The best thing I think is to play with someone who has some experience on a machine and watch them play.

#16 11 years ago

I've probably played TZ 1000 times and still have no idea what's going on. Still fun trying to figure it out though.

#17 11 years ago

Papa videos for me - love watching Bowen.

#18 11 years ago

all the above for me

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/learning-pin-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.