Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by cody_chunn
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1054.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Hi all,

I know many of you have a great knowledge of electronics, such as soldering and being able to test different boards. I know a lot of it is knowing about circuitry and how electricity works (capacitors, solenoid, relays).

I am of course, trying to learn all I can and am wondering how you learned. Perhaps you have a good book recommendation or video series. Just trying to further my knowledge for future pinball repair and of course bigger projects around the house.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

To be honest. When I was like 10 years old my uncle bought me one of the 100 project kits for Christmas. Something like this. ebay.com link: Electronic Project Beginners Starter Kit quality components pack with breadboard

Then in high school I took an electrical and electronics class. There I learned how to read a schematic. Then I've tought myself how to diagnose and repair problems.

I have no knowledge of design. I just follow what's in the books and test things I know.

Edit
    Now that I'm in my 30's I've thought about getting one of the design kits for kids, I'm sure that I'd gain so much more knowledge now then when I was 10

#3 9 years ago

I spent 5 years getting my EE degree, but I learned more getting hands on with small electronic projects. Like converting nes to US systems.

#4 9 years ago

Forget engineering. Get a Basic Electronics first year textbook. One for a two-year tech school class.

#5 9 years ago

I started working through this online text, but got distracted - someday I'll get back to it.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

#6 9 years ago

'Make: Electronics' is a good book for beginners - very hands on:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Discovery-Charles-Platt/dp/0596153740/ref=sr_1_1

#7 9 years ago

If you want to learn in order to get a job designing things for commercial use/sale, you will need to attend an accredited university and earn a degree. Most government positions as well as those dealing with safety-related transportation equipment will require PE certification or at least EIT certification.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from IndyJpr:

'Make: Electronics' is a good book for beginners - very hands on:
    amazon.com link »

I second this. I took a couple courses in high school and college, but forgot nearly all of it. Once I got into pinball, I needed to make sense of the schematics and understand why things are wired the way they are (e.g., why are there capacitors across some of the switches?). I picked up that book and the associated kits...
    http://www.radioshack.com/make-it-component-kit-1/2760349.html
    http://www.radioshack.com/make-it-component-kit-2/2760352.html

It's worth the money for the kits in my opinion. They're pricey, but they're very convenient. Maybe you should wait to buy the second kit until you get to the chapters that need it (second half of the book), but definitely get the first kit when you get the book.

Be forewarned though, the transistors that I got with mine were incorrect, so the transistor-related projects wouldn't work as shown in the book with the parts that they shipped. I ordered my kits about a year ago, so maybe they've since fixed the problem. It's written up in the book's errata...
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=9780596153748 (search for "P2N2222A")

After a few exercises in the book, I had the confidence to put down the book and take on my own little project. Now my desk looks like this...
    IMG_1054.JPGIMG_1054.JPG

Shameless plug: I'm documenting, in excruciating detail, my progress on that project in videos that I'll be posting here...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-series-designing-and-building-a-new-mod

#9 9 years ago

Engineering is as much art as it is science. While it is relatively easy to learn the science of engineering, it is much harder to learn the art of it.

#10 9 years ago

the picture of that desk certainly has some art to it , as well as science.

#11 9 years ago

I started learning by taking apart VCRs and the like (reassembly optional) and fixing lamps when I was younger. The best way I've found to pick up hobbyist electronics tinkering and troubleshooting skills is to find a project that's interesting enough to you that you'll follow it through to completion and is at the edge of what you feel comfortable with. Start with something simple and either practical or decorative like a motion-activated light switch or an LED cube.

Some more information on what you're trying to get started on would be good, for instance do you have a project machine that needs repairs? Just trying to save on repair costs? Are you considering repairing pins as a hobby or occupation? Just curious? Also be aware that "Electrical Engineering" is a pretty lofty goal for a thing to pick up on the side and there's a reason that both a four-year degree and a further four years of practical work experience is required to even attempt the exam to become a licensed Professional Engineer. Pinball diagnostics and repair is more along the lines of technician work.

If there's one in your area, places like TechShop and other maker spaces usually have classes. Fees, format, equipment available, and skill levels are kind of all over the map, but an intro class would probably get you some good hands-on time if you're starting from an "I know these things exist" standpoint. It'll also probably save you some money up front if you don't already have tools or know what tools you might need. They should also give you some basic safety instruction, which you absolutely should have. If they don't start with that or offer a free safety intro session, call them out on it and ask for a refund.

Soldering itself isn't too hard. Watch a video or two on the web, I'm sure they're available. Practice on bits of twisted stranded wire and then grab a through-hole breadboard (they're also called protoboards) that you can practice soldering and desoldering through-hole connections on. Sparkfun is great for stuff like that. They can be finicky and are worth practicing. The first lab in an an instrumentation course I used to teach was creating a cube out of eight wires twisted and soldered together, saved a lot of time and burnt components (and body parts) in the long run.

Whatever you do, ask questions! It's one of the best ways to learn. Also messing things up and then figuring out how and why it got messed up and what you could do better next time. Also be safe.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from GLModular:

Engineering is as much art as it is science.

I totally agree. A book can teach you the science, but the art has to come from you. I'm a software engineer. I've been trained in that science and I've also been coding since I was 9, so I've had nearly 30 years to learn the art. I've got a sense when something isn't right or isn't complete. Some people call it "code smell"; it's like you're picking up on a scent, something you can't see, but that you know is there.

Not with electronics though. I'm going "by the book". I don't have the nack.

Electronics smells are totally different than code smells, by the way. Magic smoke, and all. More acidic, I think.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinwizard1:

I am of course, trying to learn all I can and am wondering how you learned. Perhaps you have a good book recommendation or video series. Just trying to further my knowledge for future pinball repair and of course bigger projects around the house.
    Thanks!

Having worked in home restoration and renovation, I can tell you with absolute certainty that learning how to diagnose and repair pinball machines is a completely different animal than "bigger projects around the house." I spent two years of college in computer engineering school before switching to business school, and reading schematics is still very foreign to me. In fact, last night, after three months of pinball ownership, I had my first AHA moment where reading a schematic made perfect sense to me. I credit the above-referenced www.allaboutcircuits.com for that moment. It's rather math intensive, and sometimes feels like homework, but the understanding you will gain, even just in qualitative analysis will be invaluable. It will take some time, but I'm working through it at the same time, so if you have any questions feel free to pm.

#14 9 years ago

Calculating impedence in capacitive+resistive circuits sucks.

*Edit* Actually, I take that back. By far the worst thing I've had issues with as a non-math person has been calculating the phase angle of A/C circuits with capacitors and inductors in play. I really feel sorry for people that work on alternating current crap.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Calculating impedence in capacitive+resistive circuits sucks.
    *Edit* Actually, I take that back. By far the worst thing I've had issues with as a non-math person has been calculating the phase angle of A/C circuits with capacitors and inductors in play. I really feel sorry for people that work on alternating current crap.

That's why sound is often the hardest thing to fix in a pin.

#16 9 years ago

Electrical Engineering and my BSEE took 5 years at college. Unfortunately it wasn't electronics but rather power engineering (transmission lines, substations, switchgear, etc.). Still learning even though it's been 27 years since I graduated.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I spent 5 years getting my EE degree, but I learned more getting hands on with small electronic projects. Like converting nes to US systems.

I completely agree. 5 years to get a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I work in marketing now but I still know who Kirchoff was!

The vast majority of practical electronics knowledge I picked up as a kid reading the Radio Shack quick guides (basically the same thing as the new Make guides they sell). Those will give you everything you need (and more) to sound smarter than most EEs out there. A simple project kit will give you enough comfort-level to repair most consumer electronics including pins. Just do everyone a favor and shop at your local Radio Shack. We're in real danger of losing these guys for good.

#18 9 years ago

Thank you all for the reply. I am an IT so not looking to go to college for EE but just tinkering around. I just ordered the Make: Electronics book. I hope it will introduce me to all the basic topics which I can then move on from there.

If you guys have any recommendations on certain brands of meters or soldering iron, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!!

#19 9 years ago

Also:

Bally F.O. ### Repair manual

Williams Repairing Electronic Pinball Machines

and the Gottlieb game repair manual

Fluke meters are great.
    Weller makes god soldering equipment.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/learning-electrical-engineering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.