(Topic ID: 109484)

League scoring and slight venting.........

By Street

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skulz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago

We run into some similar issues at CP. I think the ladder system is strange and the top group is usually 3 people if there are not an even number of people to have every group as 4. Three people groups have less point opportunities if you have a bad week! Sometimes I see the software has two people of a 4 person group go up and two go down. That technically means two people from group 1 could play 2 people from group 3. Carry that out a week and it could be two from 1 playing two from 4 that moved up the previous week. If there is a wide gap in skill, then this can be a huge point opportunity like your examples - cleaning up.

Part of the problem might be not having divisions locked sooner or that people can move down too much in groups - ex an A player maybe should not be in group 3 or 4 if you have 21-25 players. Where this may cause an issue is if you have someone new and start them off in the wrong division/grouping by too much. You may put them in A, but then if they get obliterated and have no fun, then you may lose them as a league player.

I think what happens a lot is someone in B does well and obtains a lot of points then eventually moves up the ladder enough to 'leapfrog' into A.

We have had many discussions where the conversation goes:
    How did person X get so many points and end up in A? I only played him once or never the entire 10 week period and have been in the top two groups all season!

I don't know exactly how the software works, so I have no obvious solutions to offer.
    You are not alone though. I can only suggest to look at the ladder and how/when it calculates and maybe look at division locking and group restrictions.

Does your league use bonus points and match points and do you understand how all of that is calculated? I don't know the ins and outs, but there could be some issues there too.

Good luck!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skulz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/league-scoring-and-slight-venting?tu=Skulz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.