• Latest reply 7 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

136000902 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

So here is a weird one. Or maybe it's not. I dunno this is my first pinball machine. Anyway, my right flipper started sticking on my Star Shooter so I popped the hood to see what is going on. The game is in really good condition, the person I bought it from did an amazing job restoring it. I knew the problem was electrical because the flipper stuck in the up position would drop once I turned the game off. Basically what is happening is that my leaf switch on the flipper button is getting stuck closed. My first thought was corrosion but like I said the game is in really good shape and I don't really see any, although I may be bad at spotting it. The thing that I think is really strange is that the contacts only stick to each other when there is power to the game. I can press the button while off 20 times without anything sticking but when there is power to the game I see some arching when it doesn't stick and it will always stick within 5 contacts tops. Are my contacts somehow becoming magnetized? What should I do to fix this? Is this something that you have heard of happening? Should I clean? Lube? Replace? TIA

#2 7 years ago

Replace or if high power tungsten - go to town with a file and make them smooth.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I had a similar problem on my Black hole. In my case the contacts were damaged enough that the current of the flipper running through would melt the surface. Filing them did nothing, they'd be stuck again within 10 flips. Just replace the switch and the problem will likely go away.

Also check the resistance across the leaves when the button is pressed. Should be less than an ohm.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Replace or if high power tungsten - go to town with a file and make them smooth.

How do I tell if they are high power tungsten, and if they are, what kind of file should I use for this job?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Also check the resistance across the leaves when the button is pressed. Should be less than an ohm.

Will do. Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

You can try and adjusting the leaf and giving it a wider gap.

#7 7 years ago

Well, there's a cocktail pinball I've never heard of. Like others have said. File the switch contacts or just replace.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Well, there's a cocktail pinball I've never heard of.

It's a lot of fun! Drop targets for dayz.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

How do I tell if they are high power tungsten,

They look like they have a kind of silver cap look on the contact point on each blade.

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

what kind of file should I use for this job

Fine tooth metal file.

#10 7 years ago

With or without legs neat!

136000902 (resized).jpg136000902 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

So I took a file to the contacts and it seems to have helped. They are no longer sticking but I am seeing sparks on contact. Is this normal or should I do some more filing?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

So I took a file to the contacts and it seems to have helped. They are no longer sticking but I am seeing sparks on contact. Is this normal or should I do some more filing?

There's usually sparks when s contact that has current going through it opens. If they keep sparking once the contact has opened there's a problem

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leaf-switch-sticking-only-when-powered and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.