Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190321_132531 (resized).jpg
    axial_capacitor (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

How do i wire in the cap. Is it just on either side of the switch

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nusilor:

How do i wire in the cap. Is it just on either side of the switch

Yep, pretty much.

RM

#3 5 years ago

Whats a good size, and is it just any non polar cap

#4 5 years ago

You need to be more specific.

What leaf switch on what game?

RM

#5 5 years ago

Flash williams

#6 5 years ago

You are referring to flipper switches aren't you?
    get ones for a system 11, reduces to the point you can barely see them.
    works great on the eos switches.

#7 5 years ago

Yeah, flipper leafs. So what is there a site to buy them off or something. Postage is usually way to expensive. Just want to know the values. Order them from a site like element 14, tayda or something

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

You are referring to flipper switches aren't you?
    get ones for a system 11, reduces to the point you can barely see them.

Interesting, those caps can be added to older Williams games as well? I'll get some for my BK if that's the case.

#9 5 years ago

2.2 uF, 250 volt axial lead non-polarized metalized polyester capacitor

axial_capacitor (resized).jpgaxial_capacitor (resized).jpg
    #10 5 years ago

Cheers schudel5

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nusilor:

Yeah, flipper leafs. So what is there a site to buy them off or something. Postage is usually way to expensive. Just want to know the values. Order them from a site like element 14, tayda or something

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-closed.html
    Is this what they look like? $3.95 from Pinball Life, plus shipping...

#12 5 years ago

Actually, if you want complete spark suppression, you need TWO capacitors per flipper: one for the cabinet flipper button switch and one for the flipper assembly's EOS switch.

Here is the correct .1 uf @ 500 volt ceramic disc capacitor for the flipper button switch:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C.1M500VR

Here is the correct 2.2 uf @ 250 volt axial mylar (a.k.a. polyester) capacitor for the EOS switch:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C2.2M250VA-NP

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Interesting, those caps can be added to older Williams games as well? I'll get some for my BK if that's the case.

I've got them in my BK, but also you need to get new EOS switches as well.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

I've got them in my BK, but also you need to get new EOS switches as well.

Good to know, thanks!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Actually, if you want complete spark suppression, you need TWO capacitors per flipper: one for the cabinet flipper button switch and one for the flipper assembly's EOS switch.

That's very good info, thanks for posting. On double-stacked flipper cabinet switches (such as used on my BK), i presume 2 caps will be needed? One cap for each pair of contacts?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

That's very good info, thanks for posting. On double-stacked flipper cabinet switches (such as used on my BK), i presume 2 caps will be needed? One cap for each pair of contacts?

Yes indeed.

#17 5 years ago

Leaf spark suppression??
    Why would you want to do that??

Silly goose!

IMG_20190321_132531 (resized).jpgIMG_20190321_132531 (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago

Thought I read in Vid’s flipper rebuild post that only parallel wound coils are candidates for using caps. Is that correct or am I misreading something?

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjchand:

Thought I read in Vid’s flipper rebuild post that only parallel wound coils are candidates for using caps. Is that correct or am I misreading something?

WPC uses parallel wound coils and you don't need them there. It's not how the coils are wound but what voltage is present at the cabinet and EOS switches. Any game that has full flipper voltage going through the cabinet buttons and EOS switches can benefit from the caps.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Any game that has full flipper voltage going through the cabinet buttons and EOS switches can benefit from the caps.

Ah, gotcha. I missed that, indeed. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leaf-spark-suppression-?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.