(Topic ID: 267596)

Lead Respirators During a Global Crisis

By radial_head

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all,

Two of my restoration projects are on hold currently because I just can't seem to find a proper lead rated respirator during the global pandemic. Both of the cabinet I will be sanding down are pre 1985 and I am going to just go ahead and assume that all of the cabinet paint on them is toxic, lead paint that I don't want to breathe in.

Has anybody had any luck (or bad luck) trying to order one of these seemingly potentially bunk masks from China via eBay?
    ebay.com link: Full Face Suit Painting Spraying Gas Mask for 6800 Facepiece Respirator

Let me make this clear: I fully understand that pinball is a hobby and a hobby with people from all over the world with different views and backgrounds. I don't want this to become a thread that gets Covid19-derailed and I would appreciate any following conversation being civil and kind.

#2 3 years ago

That's going to be a tall order in these times. The only (non obvious) way I could see getting my hands on something like that would be in conjunction with a tool rental. Many home depot locations rent power tools, and I know there are more specialty places for renting things like Bobcats. It may be worth calling them to see if they rented out that type of PPE in conjuction with their rentals.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

That's going to be a tall order in these times. The only (non obvious) way I could see getting my hands on something like that would be in conjunction with a tool rental. Many home depot locations rent power tools, and I know there are more specialty places for renting things like Bobcats. It may be worth calling them to see if they rented out that type of PPE in conjuction with their rentals.

That's a great idea! Didn't even think of that. I'll check with my local equipment rentals, although I wouldn't doubt if they've already loaned their to medical facilities (and rightfully so!)

Any thoughts on the mask I posted a link to?

#4 3 years ago

You could contact the local body shops in your area and see if you could purchase one of their stock, likely have to be one of the smaller shops.

#5 3 years ago

You could buy a lead test to confirm presence or not of lead.

#6 3 years ago

If you can't find a mask or don't want to wait, you should just get a lead test and see if it is an issue: https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-LAB-Lead-Surface-Test-Kit-6-Tests-LS104/100117326

If you test, please post your results as this topic comes up frequently.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

If you can't find a mask or don't want to wait, you should just get a lead test and see if it is an issue: https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-LAB-Lead-Surface-Test-Kit-6-Tests-LS104/100117326
    If you test, please post your results as this topic comes up frequently.

To make things more complicated, both cabinets have been painted over with house modern house paint (presumably in the past 10-20 years) so sanding has to begin before I can even get down to the original paint. Still worth a try I guess though

#8 3 years ago

Not exactly on topic, but good info about respirators with valves for general COVID-19 protection:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717/what-is-a-mask-valve-and-why-are-cities-banning-them

Summary in case you don't want to click:

When you wear a mask with a valve, a significant portion of your exhalations are entirely unfiltered. When you add the valve, you aren’t even filtering your breath with cotton. Your mouth is essentially an open exhaust. Good for protecting the wearer; bad for protecting everyone else.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Not exactly on topic, but good info about respirators with valves for general COVID-19 protection:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717/what-is-a-mask-valve-and-why-are-cities-banning-them
    Summary in case you don't want to click:
    When you wear a mask with a valve, a significant portion of your exhalations are entirely unfiltered. When you add the valve, you aren’t even filtering your breath with cotton. Your mouth is essentially an open exhaust. Good for protecting the wearer; bad for protecting everyone else.

Yeah I saw a lot of this going down, which kind of sparked my search for an actual lead rated/mold rated/abatement type respirator. Just kind of goes to show the level of panic causes shortages and proper resources not being put in the right directions. Also goes to show me how little I know about respirators hahaha.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lead-respirators-during-a-global-crisis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.